***UPDATED*** Alvarez offered 70k/70k + PPV bonus

he might end up being a big ppv draw. he could also struggle and not be a top fighter and wouldn't be a big draw. it was rough seeing chandler beat him up so bad. i don't imagine the top 5 lw's having a lot of trouble with him.

It would be awesome to see someone with a "FREE EDDIE" sign at their first event on Spike.

They could up his base pay based upon average UFC PPV numbers. Eddie himself isn't going to draw huge numbers, so using an average would work pretty well. There's also the issue with sponsorships, and UFC sponsors are probably paying quite a bit more than Bellator's.

I didn't even think about the sponsors....

that's the second shadiest thing about this whole thing (behind the ridiculous claim they can match ppv) is that bjorn says they only have to match what is GUARANTEED

and lots of stuff like ppv %, fight bonuses, and sponsorships are not "Technically" gauranteed.

and that's just sleezy, slimball, lawyer bullshit.

Because even if it's not actually "gauranteed" it's not some big fantasy what if, it's more like VERY LIKELY.

getting more from sponsors is pretty much a 90% done deal; it's the ufc and a much bigger audience after all.

getting fight bonuses is probably a 75% chance and that's being modest.

but to take all that away because technically it's "projected" and not "guaranteed" is wrong.

This is the most shady part of the whole thing and makes me slap bjorn right in his mouth.

He says (and I just can't get over this) that they matched the UFC's ppv portion of the contract because "bellator is considering moving into ppv soon with the right fight"

oh.... really? REALLY?!

You think dipping your toes into PPV for the FIRST TIME EVER is the same as Eddie working with AN ESTABLISHED PPV POWERHOUSE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

What. The. Fuck.

How can you seriously call that a match with a straight face? I mean... WOW

Even if you tried to get into ppv full time and were SUCCESSFUL.. it would take YEARS before your numbers started matching UFC numbers (if it EVER happened)

Anyone who's not completely delusional knows damn well their first few ppv's arn't going to match an established powerhouse.

Nobody that's fucking stupid.

So to claim that they matched the ppv portion because "they're going to get into ppv's soon" is sooo fucking ludicrous. It's just absolutely one of the craziest things i've ever read.

That would be like a bycicle company claiming they could match Harley Davidson because "we're going to start building motorcycles soon...."

insanity.

This! nice post

Where does Bellator have the money to match that deal?

That's a pretty good deal right?

This is exactly what all the lawyers are arguing about. How did people not see this coming?

Half of the forum did. The other half is just dumb and only make threads and then leave.

Eddie deserves to be one of the top 30 guys to get PPV numbers if that is the case. He brings it every fight and super talented.

Pretty solid deal. Even if he doesn't headline he gets a PPV bonus? Get on a GSP card and the guy is rolling in it.

I agree his best bet is to get on a card with a big draw. I'm not entirely sure how PPV bonuses works but the UFC could just do what they did with Lombard (who also gets a cut of PPVs) and put Eddie's fights on cable so they don't have to pay him it. That way the PPV bonus is just an incentive to get him to sign but that they never have to give him. Wouldn't put it past the UFC as remember Lombard's first fight was to be on Fox before he stepped in as an injury replacement, and then his second fight was also on cable. Sneaky UFC contracts...

Wow, I'm a little taken aback by the fact that Alvarez would really get a PPV cut in his contract, considering that as of last year, only 29 fighters have that in their contract. This essentially puts Eddie amongst the top 30 fighters in the org, which I think many of us would disagree with, especially when you consider the fact that the guy isn't even the champ of his org anymore...

Anyways, I'm happy for Eddie to get such a sweet contract, but just a little shocked.

Maybe he only gets the PPV bonus if he headlines a PPV, something that's not likely to happen unless he gets a title shot.

Either way, not only does the UFC get a top ten lightweight by signing Eddie, they're also taking away Bellator's #2 lightweight and one of the biggest fights Bellator can make (Alvarez/Chandler II) should Michael win his next fight.

What a joke that is.

Dana must have the biggest crush ever on her.

U mad bro?

rousey1_crop_exact.jpg

I wish I could throw my money at her harder. Nice to know she's going to be pocketing a bit of my PPV dollars.

obviously UFC invites this court battle. they could have offered him $400k/$400k and no bonus. they chose not to. bummer for Eddie though. i'm surprised he didn't see this coming and demanded more guaranteed $.

or maybe he invites the court battle too...

he might end up being a big ppv draw. he could also struggle and not be a top fighter and wouldn't be a big draw. it was rough seeing chandler beat him up so bad. i don't imagine the top 5 lw's having a lot of trouble with him.

at this point, does it really matter whether alvarez is a ppv draw? i feel like the ufc is just raping their competition for the sake of raping their competition...

This is the most shady part of the whole thing and makes me slap bjorn right in his mouth.

He says (and I just can't get over this) that they matched the UFC's ppv portion of the contract because "bellator is considering moving into ppv soon with the right fight"

oh.... really? REALLY?!

You think dipping your toes into PPV for the FIRST TIME EVER is the same as Eddie working with AN ESTABLISHED PPV POWERHOUSE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

What. The. Fuck.

How can you seriously call that a match with a straight face? I mean... WOW

Even if you tried to get into ppv full time and were SUCCESSFUL.. it would take YEARS before your numbers started matching UFC numbers (if it EVER happened)

Anyone who's not completely delusional knows damn well their first few ppv's arn't going to match an established powerhouse.

Nobody that's fucking stupid.

So to claim that they matched the ppv portion because "they're going to get into ppv's soon" is sooo fucking ludicrous. It's just absolutely one of the craziest things i've ever read.

That would be like a bycicle company claiming they could match Harley Davidson because "we're going to start building motorcycles soon...."

insanity.

Nice rant. :icon_lol:

[QUOTE="Rush";78163055]Bellator's parent company has more money than the UFC's parent company.[/QUOTE]

parent companies don't get involved nearly as much as one might think. They just collect their share of the profit.

Usually if a "child company" has a problem is supposed to deal with it on it's own and if it can't the "parent company" would rather get rid of the child than clean up it's messes for them.

Back