***UPDATED*** Alvarez offered 70k/70k + PPV bonus

U mad bro?

rousey1_crop_exact.jpg

I wish I could throw my money at her harder. Nice to know she's going to be pocketing a bit of my PPV dollars.

Are you the dude who recently made a video on youtube asking her on a date?

Wow, I'm a little taken aback by the fact that Alvarez would really get a PPV cut in his contract, considering that as of last year, only 29 fighters have that in their contract. This essentially puts Eddie amongst the top 30 fighters in the org, which I think many of us would disagree with, especially when you consider the fact that the guy isn't even the champ of his org anymore...

Anyways, I'm happy for Eddie to get such a sweet contract, but just a little shocked.

They could offer him some absurd amount of PPV revenue percentage that he could never reach, but would not be able to be matched by Bellator since they don't do PPV

parent companies don't get involved nearly as much as one might think. They just collect their share of the profit.

Usually if a "child company" has a problem is supposed to deal with it on it's own and if it can't the "parent company" would rather get rid of the child than clean up it's messes for them.

Oh yeah absolutely, especially with a company the size of Viacom. Just letting him know where their funding comes from.

the PPV $$$ is bull shit

Lombard was supposed to fight on fox before injuries made the ufc scramble and he winded up on 149 and then he fought on FUEL or FX, lot of good that PPV $$$ that bellator couldn't match did

that said Alvarez clearly wants to fight for the UFC

Are you the dude who recently made a video on youtube asking her on a date?

Couldn't blame him if he did. Tell me with a straight face that you don't want to wrap your arms around her and learn a thing or two about grappling.

Or go to the movies, whatever.

This is the most shady part of the whole thing and makes me slap bjorn right in his mouth.

He says (and I just can't get over this) that they matched the UFC's ppv portion of the contract because "bellator is considering moving into ppv soon with the right fight"

oh.... really? REALLY?!

You think dipping your toes into PPV for the FIRST TIME EVER is the same as Eddie working with AN ESTABLISHED PPV POWERHOUSE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

What. The. Fuck.

How can you seriously call that a match with a straight face? I mean... WOW

Even if you tried to get into ppv full time and were SUCCESSFUL.. it would take YEARS before your numbers started matching UFC numbers (if it EVER happened)

Anyone who's not completely delusional knows damn well their first few ppv's arn't going to match an established powerhouse.

Nobody that's fucking stupid.

So to claim that they matched the ppv portion because "they're going to get into ppv's soon" is sooo fucking ludicrous. It's just absolutely one of the craziest things i've ever read.

That would be like a bycicle company claiming they could match Harley Davidson because "we're going to start building motorcycles soon...."

insanity.

He even goes against what he says immediately afterwards:

"Could" is the operative word there, as according to Rebney, that pay-per-view money in the UFC offer to Alvarez is nothing more than a hypothetical.

"There is no guaranteed pay-per-view in the UFC offer to Eddie Alvarez," he says emphatically. "We as Bellator don't have to match projections. We don't have to match what could conceptually happen. We have to match guaranteed dollars and what the UFC contractually guaranteed would occur. That is what we are held to."

Despite that, Rebney said that Alvarez's pay-per-view stake was matched anyway, under the belief that Bellator could move into the pay-per-view market with the right fight, for example, a rematch of the notable 2011 bout between Alvarez and Michael Chandler.

Emphasis mine. The main difference between Bellator and UFC is that UFC does PPVs all the time and can stick Eddie on a PPV whenever they feel like it. Bellator can only possibly do it for the "right fight," which is even less of a guarantee than the UFC's model. lmfao. Bjorn is so full of shit.

Also, according to FrontRowBrian, who called this whole thing over the weekend, said that Bellator is arguing that they would do 300,000 PPV buys right out of the gate. That could be bullshit but even if Bellator's projected number is in the same stratosphere as that number they're delusional. WEC's only PPV did around 200k because it was "presented by the UFC" and literally had everything WEC-related (besides the belts) erased in order to make it as close to a UFC show as possible. Any other company that went into PPV was lucky to scratch 100k, if that. Affliction had loaded PPVs that tanked in comparison to the UFC.

Last edited:
Ronda is getting paid more than one of the best and most exciting LWs on the planet. What a bunch of shit, bros.

He's not even the best LW in Bellator, he's not gonna take the UFC title, the UFC just wants him to add some depth and to fuck Bellator. He'll only be a top 10 fighter by virtue of Edgar and Guida dropping to FW.

He even goes against what he says immediately afterwards:

Emphasis mine. The main difference between Bellator and UFC is that UFC does PPVs all the time and can stick Eddie on a PPV whenever they feel like it. Bellator can only possibly do it for the "right fight," which is even less of a guarantee than the UFC's model. lmfao. Bjorn is so full of shit.

Also, according to FrontRowBrian, who called this whole thing over the weekend, said that Bellator is arguing that they would do 300,000 PPV buys right out of the gate. That could be bullshit but even if Bellator's projected number is in the same stratosphere as that number they're delusional. WEC's only PPV did around 200k because it was "presented by the UFC" and literally had everything WEC-related (besides the belts) erased in order to make it as close to a UFC show as possible. Any other company that went into PPV was lucky to scratch 100k, if that. Affliction had loaded PPVs that tanked in comparison to the UFC.

Not to mention that Eddie could fight 4 times a year in the UFC. He fought 2 a year in Bellator.

I can't imagine Bellator being able to match that but who knows

Not to mention that Eddie could fight 4 times a year in the UFC. He fought 2 a year in Bellator.

I didn't event think of that, but I have to disagree somewhat. The only way Eddie can fight that often in Bellator is if he enters a tournament, wins, and gets a title fight. If he wins his title fight, he probably gets two fights per year tops. Some divisions might get multiple title fights this year because of fights getting delayed but that's not something one can count on at all. As for UFC, he'd probably get 3 per year unless he steps up like Donald Cerrone did in 2011. Only a few guys in the UFC fought 4 times this year and they were mid-tier guys. It's definitely possible though.

I think a big thing for Eddie going to the UFC would be sponsors. As long as his sponsors stick with him going into the UFC (sponsors have to pay a big fee), Eddie will probably get even more money because more people watch UFC than Bellator.

I hope eddie doesn't do it. The ufc is playing mind games again. Ppv bonus huh? They'll most likely have him fight on fox until he loses or it's time to negotiate his contract again. Tell him fighting on free tv is a way to get his name out there.

The PPV bonus is cool and all, but they can easily book these guys for cards that aren't PPV. Lombard was supposed to be on a Fox Show and then was on a Fuel Show after all.

I hope eddie doesn't do it. The ufc is playing mind games again. Ppv bonus huh? They'll most likely have him fight on fox until he loses or it's time to negotiate his contract again. Tell him fighting on free tv is a way to get his name out there.

You think going back in the Bellator 155 tourney would be a better option for Eddie? PPV money aside.

Seems like a sweet deal. I have nothing to judge it against, but it seems like an awful lot for someone who I don't think can actually win the belt. And I am assuming only the signing bonus is guaranteed.

Even if they do that, he'll still make significantly more in the UFC than Bellator.

He'd make more sponsorship money in the UFC and the way he fights he'd probably end up with a good number of OTN bonuses as well.

If it was simply a matter of proposing terms that Bellator couldn't match, Zuffa could offer Alvarez a small % of the PPV cut (say 1-2%) and debut him on the main card (like Shields), and Bellator can't match that.

Bellator currently doesn't do PPV broadcasts, and making quick arrangements to get into the game wouldn't come cheap. It's not to say it can't happen, but it would cost far more than just Alvarez's fight contract terms. There's also the expenses from marketing the event itself, getting airtime from a PPV broadcaster, steeper expenses from having to get a larger than normal (for Bellator) venue. Not sure if liability expenses would go up as a result (from an insurance standpoint). Not to mention if other top fighters would demand pay/perk increases to help make the card good enough to warrant commanding PPV buyrate prices.

All for the sake of keeping a fighter who's not a current Bellator champion. I don't see it happening.

Should Zuffa resort to dirty tactics to land a top caliber fighter? That's a matter of opinion. Personally, I'd like to see Alvarez in the UFC, so I'd say yes. Should Bellator go for broke trying to keep one fighter in their roster? It's definitely a risky gamble, one I probably wouldn't risk.

If there's no ill-will towards Eddie leaving... let him go and keep your dignity Bjorn.

Back