UPDATED 9/23: Training with White Belts...

SamboKing

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I think for any of us who have attained any sort of rank in a martial art (JJ, Judo, Sambo, etc), we can all relate to the point about to make next.

I fucking hate training with white belts.

Friday nights I train Judo at a local club, but Sambo, JJ guys come over to train take downs and ground work as well. I'm a brown belt in Judo, Purple belt in Jiu-Jitsu, and wrestled for over 5 years, and what happened to me on Friday hadn't happened to me in all those years of grappling.

We were doing standing randori, and this cocky white belt bjj kid "attempts" to do a flying armbar, and ends up "kicking" me in the fucking head because he does the move incorrectly (kicked up to get his legs high instead of jumping to the correct height). Later on he apologizes and says he wanted to try it "because David Camirillo did it on TV", I wanted to put his head into a wall. Just 15 minutes before he tried an illegal leglock he "also saw on a highlight clip" on a white belt nearly breaking his ankle.

Honestly, I've trained with multiple degree BJJ and Judo artist before and have never come home with a huge knot on my head. I think I'd rather train against a BB who can tap me at will than any white belt just for the fact that white belts do some stupid shit and getting hurt by "stupidity" is probably more frustrating than getting tapped anyday. I have fought some evil thoughts the past day or so, but now I'm pretty controlled (I still want to crank his arm in newaza just to send a message).

As it is, please comment if you feel the same way (MMA/vale tudo people too).

Hey, don't hate on all white belts. I just started jujitsu and have been working my ass off to get better. You have to start somewhere. Don't hate all white belts, just those who think they are something more than they are.

ya your a idiot, everyone starts somewhere, it's the whitebelts I feel sorry for with a ahole partner as yourself

Wait to sum what samboking is saying, its fine to be a whitebelt but if your gonna go into a gym and think your gonna prove something or being some kind of miracle for the style your dead wrong. Your there to learn and not try something you saw on tv. So dont think hes hating.

dude, im a WB myself , it totally depends on the WB

we have a couple of those same type clowns in our classes

guys who wanna be like nog...thinking the know something they dont

but not all WB`S are like this

i love rolling with higher ranks than myself, i respect the knowledge and learning expierence it brings...even when im getting tapped like crazy

I forget who said it (maybe Marc Laimon) but even a white belt can show you a different way of executing or a new take on a move.

Actually someone with your pedigree should chill a bit. Think back when you first started and how exciting it was to tap someone. I dont mind training with white belts but dont have the philososhy to go easy on them. I will tap them at will the first time I roll with them just to show them this works. White belts can help you with your finishing moves but also at the same time training to much with them you can get sloppy with your technique because if the mistakes in form you make with them wont cost you as it would with someone better.

White belts are the future of our great sport, they can be irritating especially when they have been training about 6 months and all of a sudden they think they know everything already but we have all been there.

Just be cool brother, dont let it get to you. Your mental game needs to improve if you are worrying about such trivial things.

Just an opinion, not meant as disrespectful

Yes I was a white belt once.

But I wasn't cocky, I was respectful.

I never kicked anyone in the head while "grappling".

I never tried to pretend I was better than I was.

As you were white belts.

most people that just begin training go in with that attitude. That is the idea behind discipline. I was a very high strung beginner until I learnt to respect the art

So you got kicked in the head, big deal. Suck it up

teamvovchanchyn said:
Wait to sum what samboking is saying, its fine to be a whitebelt but if your gonna go into a gym and think your gonna prove something or being some kind of miracle for the style your dead wrong. Your there to learn and not try something you saw on tv. So dont think hes hating.

Thank you for proving you can read.

As for the others...

I took classes under Shonie Carter and, say what you will I guess, he always wanted to train with a mix of experienced and inexperienced people before fights, since the whitebelt-level people would do totally unexpected things.

Ricksonisgod said:
Actually someone with your pedigree should chill a bit. Think back when you first started and how exciting it was to tap someone. I dont mind training with white belts but dont have the philososhy to go easy on them. I will tap them at will the first time I roll with them just to show them this works. White belts can help you with your finishing moves but also at the same time training to much with them you can get sloppy with your technique because if the mistakes in form you make with them wont cost you as it would with someone better.

White belts are the future of our great sport, they can be irritating especially when they have been training about 6 months and all of a sudden they think they know everything already but we have all been there.

Just be cool brother, dont let it get to you. Your mental game needs to improve if you are worrying about such trivial things.

Just an opinion, not meant as disrespectful

I don't mind training with white belts, in fact I'm always showing white belts how to do simple escapes, locks etc. I even lead the exercises at my JJ academy.

But when a cocky white belt (this guy tried doing an illegal leg lock earlier in the exercises), tries to do a move he saw on "TV", and then leaves me with a knot on my head I have to live with for 3 days, then that is going to test my patience.

you said you were a jj purple-- bjj or just "jj"? Just curious.

don't label all white belts the same. There are some in my gym that would give you a run for your money.

By the way if you are a brown in Judo, purple in BJJ, with 5 years of wresting it is your mistake that your opponent would land anything you should teaching the new ways he is gonna learn to tighten up his abs because when you knee is there he wont be able to move. If you control the action it will cut down on the wild stuff and ....wear a cup.

academiachuteboxe said:
you said you were a jj purple-- bjj or just "jj"? Just curious.

don't label all white belts the same. There are some in my gym that would give you a run for your money.

Sorry, I call it JJ because that's how they call it in Brazil (I trained in Rio for 6 weeks as a blue belt and it stuck). BJJ only exist here in America, in Brazil they just say JJ.

As for white belts giving me a run for my money, I welcome that as long as they are respectful.

SuperCubsFan said:
Hey, don't hate on all white belts. I just started jujitsu and have been working my ass off to get better. You have to start somewhere. Don't hate all white belts, just those who think they are something more than they are.
I am a white belt BJJ guy and I also Kickbox. And you may never know I am BJJ Whitebelt if we ever meet in life. :D

Ricksonisgod said:
By the way if you are a brown in Judo, purple in BJJ, with 5 years of wresting it is your mistake that your opponent would land anything you should teaching the new ways he is gonna learn to tighten up his abs because when you knee is there he wont be able to move. If you control the action it will cut down on the wild stuff and ....wear a cup.

Okay, "Rickson is God", how do you control a persons hips when he's trying a flying armbar incorrectly? Did you not read the original post? He "kicked up" to try to get the leverage. Now explain to me how you control that.

Back