Unpopular opinion: Aspinall EASILY finishes Gane even if he doesn't take him down

Gane has no power but he has more mobility i believe, if they trade tho, my money is on Aspinall.

he won't exchange though. he has a really safe style. he'll disengage every time and pick at you from a distance until he wears you down. it's when he thinks you're hurt is when you can get him, the same way Tai got him. but before that, he'll sit on the outside and wait for you misjudge the distance and then strike when you miss and are out of position.

he won't exchange though. he has a really safe style. he'll disengage every time and pick at you from a distance until he wears you down. it's when he thinks you're hurt is when you can get him, the same way Tai got him. but before that, he'll sit on the outside and wait for you misjudge the distance and then strike when you miss and are out of position.
Aspinall doesn't trade either. He's aggressive with feints and only attacks once he has his reads and the opponent bites on the feints. The only times he wades in is when he isn't concerned with what's coming back like with Arlovksi and Tybura.

A striking battle between Aspinall and Gane for me would come down to whether Gane bites on Tom's feints or not. If he is content to sit back and never engage I think he probably outpoints Aspinall.

If he bites I think he gets caught with something and finished. It usually takes Gane a round or 2 to get his reads, whereas it only takes Aspinall around 30 to 90 seconds and then he has enough information to know what to do to finish the fight.

That being said the whole discussion may be moot. Aspinall might just take him down and break something off of him.

You Aspinall fans are insane. Gane obviously destroys Tom 9/10 times if it stays on the feet.

Aspinall hits way harder and has better combinations than Gane. Gane has better kicks and better defense. Their speed and footwork are both the fastest in the division.

9/10 times is a joke. It's an even fight on the feet, and if anything I favor Tom because he has one shot knockout power.
Watch Gane's fight with Derrick Lewis. Or Volkov. Or really any of his fights where he doesn't get wrestled.

Lol as if Aspinall wouldn't finish slow brawlers like Lewis and Tuivasa within a round, after what he did to Pavlovich.

And you're seriously bringing up the Volkov fight, which, by all accounts was a fairly competitive fight for Gane? Aspinall made Volkov look slow and tentative on the feet and then subbed him with ease.

If you compare their stats. Aspinall has better numbers for everything except SApM. Aspinall eats .58 more significant strikes per minute. Or just under 3 more strikes per round. But is much better at almost everything else.

1700841575913.png

1700841598438.png

It would be hard to pick Gane based strictly on the numbers. I’m sure we will see this fight at least once. We might end up with paper/rock/scissors with Aspinall, Gane, and Pavlovich.

And here are Pavlovich’s numbers..

1700842685435.png

I'd pick Gane over anyone at heavyweight right now, in a stand up fight. Getting quick KOs doesn't tell me much. How does Aspinal look if it goes into the 2nd round and beyond? Gane is way more proven in his stand up, multiple rounds with different styles of opponents, and he's beating them all in standup consistently.

Besides the standup, I am not even convinced that Gane has a grappling problem. No one else has felt a heavyweight Jon Jones apart from Gane. All his heavyweight training partners said that Jon was ragdolling them too. Gane might beat Aspinal on the feet and be ok on the ground too for all we know.

If you compare their stats. Aspinall has better numbers for everything except SApM. Aspinall eats .58 more significant strikes per minute. Or just under 3 more strikes per round.
I assume that's partly because Aspinall fights at a much closer range than Gane, and he is much quicker to go after the finish when he clips a guy.

Gane stays about as far out of range as it's possible to be while striking and will only start unloading when he is absolutely certain his opponent is done. Either they are gassed to shit or they have been sapped by body kicks.

Aspinall stays in range so he can slip and counter, so naturally he is there to recieve more shots, especially when he comes in like he did against Tybura.

Aspinall's overall stat line is nuts though. He's elite in every single area.

Also interesting that Pavlovich's strike accuracy went down from 57% to 48% in just 69 seconds against Aspinall.

Aspinall doesn't trade either. He's aggressive with feints and only attacks once he has his reads and the opponent bites on the feints. The only times he wades in is when he isn't concerned with what's coming back like with Arlovksi and Tybura.

A striking battle between Aspinall and Gane for me would come down to whether Gane bites on Tom's feints or not. If he is content to sit back and never engage I think he probably outpoints Aspinall.

If he bites I think he gets caught with something and finished. It usually takes Gane a round or 2 to get his reads, whereas it only takes Aspinall around 30 to 90 seconds and then he has enough information to know what to do to finish the fight.

That being said the whole discussion may be moot. Aspinall might just take him down and break something off of him.

he did get into exchanges with Blaydes though. even if Gane sits back, i imagine Aspinall will pressure him a lot and it will be uncomfortable for Gane. Aspinall can match his athleticism and speed in the ring, and if Gane can't get away he will be forced to fight when he doesn't want to. agreed on the takedowns. we're all talking like this is GLORY. Gane will be much easier to takedown once Aspinall starts striking, whether it's successful or not it will open Gane up to takedowns imo.

I’m confused, why does Gane have a weak chin? He went five rounds with Francis, and he got clocked by Tuivasa and didn’t get kod. If anything he’s shown he has a legit beard

Ngannou just knocked down and went to a split decision with the best boxer on the planet. He had nothing for Gane on the feet. Anyone downplaying Gane's striking has zero fucking clue what they are talking about.

If they fought now, I would favor Aspinall to take him down and sub him. But gtfo with this Aspinall is the better striker crap. We've literally never seen him past the first round. There are so many questions about his skills that have yet to be answered.

Aspinall would have to take him down. With that being said, Gane beats him.

Ngannou just knocked down and went to a split decision with the best boxer on the planet. He had nothing for Gane on the feet. Anyone downplaying Gane's striking has zero fucking clue what they are talking about.

If they fought now, I would favor Aspinall to take him down and sub him. But gtfo with this Aspinall is the better striker crap. We've literally never seen him past the first round. There are so many questions about his skills that have yet to be answered.

Aspy went to the second round against Arlovski did he not?

Aspy went to the second round against Arlovski did he not?
You're right, he did. He doesn't look like a guy who would outstrike Gane in that fight. Granted, that was 2 years ago and he's a better fighter now.

Nah there isn't a striker at HW on Gane's level

Aspinall has a chin and hits way harder than Gane. Gane doesn't have the power or countering to keep aspinall from blitzing him. Aspinall is basically better everywhere other than leg kicks; better chin, better speed, better hands, much more power , faster footwork and also rolls better with the punches.
Makes sense. It’s not like Gane outclassed a far more powerful and dangerous striker in Ngannou, right? People need to stop riding the nuts of Aspinall and Pavlovich. Both promising, both need more fights.

Makes sense. It’s not like Gane outclassed a far more powerful and dangerous striker in Ngannou, right? People need to stop riding the nuts of Aspinall and Pavlovich. Both promising, both need more fights.
People also need to stop acting like Aspinall is some unproven blue chip up and comer while Gane is some hardened veteran.

Gane has 5 ranked wins, Aspinall has 4. They have a similar amount of fights. Aspinall is as proven as Gane at this point. They have beaten the same caliber of opposition.

The only argument you can make is that Gane has faced better competition, faced, but not beaten. The only guys he's faced that you can argue Aspinall hasn't fought the level of so far is Ngannou and Jones. One of whom was badly injured and still beat Cyril, the other embarrassed him and beat him in 3 minutes.

Aspinall is gonna kill all HWs.
He hasn't even peaked, he's still got momentum.

Nah Gane out points him and maybe stops him late if it’s entirely a stand up battle

I assume that's partly because Aspinall fights at a much closer range than Gane, and he is much quicker to go after the finish when he clips a guy.

Gane stays about as far out of range as it's possible to be while striking and will only start unloading when he is absolutely certain his opponent is done. Either they are gassed to shit or they have been sapped by body kicks.

Aspinall stays in range so he can slip and counter, so naturally he is there to recieve more shots, especially when he comes in like he did against Tybura.

Aspinall's overall stat line is nuts though. He's elite in every single area.

Also interesting that Pavlovich's strike accuracy went down from 57% to 48% in just 69 seconds against Aspinall.
I agree with all that.

1700862407070.gif

Back