Unpopular opinion: Aspinall EASILY finishes Gane even if he doesn't take him down

I mean, if not that all we can go by is what we've seen. Even when he sits down on his punches he isn't knocking anybody out cold. He beat the piss out of Tuivasa, then caught him clean with a straight and rocked him but it took him another 6 follow up shots to knock him down. All of which he threw hard.
If you can hurt JDS, Lewis & Tai... you have power

Gane is terrible :rolleyes:

Even Tom could beat him o_O

Aspinall has a chin and hits way harder than Gane. Gane doesn't have the power or countering to keep aspinall from blitzing him. Aspinall is basically better everywhere other than leg kicks; better chin, better speed, better hands, much more power , faster footwork and also rolls better with the punches.

Did you watch Gane's fight with Ngannou?

The biggest issue Gane would have is with Aspinall's urgency. Tom's usually getting his arm raised before Gane's started putting his punches together.

Cyril likes to take his time getting reads for a round or two, he's not going to get that against Tom.

I'm not buying this crap that Cyril's feather fisted or poses no threat to Tom because he survived getting clipped by Pav lol. That's just nonsense, Gane can knock anyone out in the right circumstances.

But Tom is at least his equal on the feet, much better on the ground and looks to get the fight done from the first bell. Gane has to somehow get to the latter rounds and avoid getting taken down. Not impossible by any means, but a bit of a long shot. Gane is elusive though and it's not hard to imagine him effectively countering Tom, provided he's not blown away early.

Aspinall is however a clear and significant favourite.

Last edited:
The guy has 100% tdd and hasn't ever even been out of the 1st rd.

That should make you want to see his full game, not convince you he's the most talented heavyweight ever. We literally just went through this with Khamzat. Quick finishes don't tell us everything we need to know about a fighter. We could find out in his next fight he has poor cardio. We could find out he has a poor chin. We could find out he has no heart. We could find out he falters when pressured. You bring up 100% TDD but who exactly has tried to take him down? Who has put a sub on him?

You Aspinall fans are insane. Gane obviously destroys Tom 9/10 times if it stays on the feet. Watch Gane's fight with Derrick Lewis. Or Volkov. Or really any of his fights where he doesn't get wrestled.
{<jordan}

Gane beats him on his feet. I like Tom but these type of threads make me cringe.

Tia, then he knocked him out. Tia has one of the hardest heads you can find.
I don't think he does tbh. People just assume he does because he's Samoan. But if you watch his fights him getting rocked is a regular occurance. Volkov rocked him in his last fight, Gane obviously rocked and dropped him, Pavlovitch rocked him with every punch and KOed him, Greg Hardy made him do the chicken dance for a hot second, even old man Arlovski wobbled him.

It's HW and everyone for the most part can knock one another out but he definitely doesn't have a Hunto quality chin.

If you can hurt JDS, Lewis & Tai... you have power
JDS had lost 3 in a row by tko going into that. Look at the striking differentials in the Tai and Lewis fights. 110-29 for the Tai fight, 98-16 (112-16 for total strikes) for the Lewis fight. Rd 3 of the Tai fight was 53-8, rd 3 of the Lewis fight 49-8.

80% significant strike accuracy against Lewis, 65% against Tai. Aside from the one punch that Tai floored Gane with, both of them were basically heavy bags for Gane. Especially Lewis

Nearly a 10-1 strike differential in the Lewis fight.

It seems like Gane can hit people with everything but the kitchen sink and they still won't go out. Seen him knee and kick guys in the head repeatedly without them even appearing rocked.

Obviously he's still a 250 pound guy and a punch to the face is still a punch to the face, I'd be surprised if there is any HW on the planet that can't tko somebody if they land enough shots. His movement is freaky for a HW and clearly has good conditioning to be able to move around like a Flyweight for 5 rds without getting tired. Power wise tho, he seems to be lacking.

I don't think he does tbh. People just assume he does because he's Samoan. But if you watch his fights him getting rocked is a regular occurance. Volkov rocked him in his last fight, Gane obviously rocked and dropped him, Pavlovitch rocked him with every punch and KOed him, Greg Hardy made him do the chicken dance for a hot second, even old man Arlovski wobbled him.

It's HW and everyone for the most part can knock one another out but he definitely doesn't have a Hunto quality chin.
Yeah, I knew that when I wrote what I said but I still said it. Lol

Nobody is "easily" beating Gane on the feet, or most likely beating him on the feet at all. He isnt the biggest hitter but has a good chin and in terms of being technical, dynamic and elusive hes probably the most skilled striker in HW history. in addition to being, like Tom, one of the better athletes.

Lol no way. Still some unknowns with Aspinall. He could KO Gane in the first round, sure. What happens if it gets past the first round. Gane has proven five round cardio. Aspinall does not. Gane doesn't plod forward like Pav and wont be as easy to catch. He stays behind his jab and kicks and fights very safe. I'd pick Aspinall with mixing up his grappling. Not by flat-out beating Gane in striking with zero grappling.

Gane isn’t dedicated to his training enough to beat a consummate professional like Tonny Aspinal, he’s even admitted to slacking and short cuts in camps.

Gane beats Aspinall at FIFA easily.

If we were to rank them using those punching machines he would be below Aspinall, Pavlovich, Lewis and Ngannou, when it comes to fight he isnt known for punching power, its not in him, can he punch as expected for a man his size? Sure, but not at the level those others do.
To be honest here I think a truck collision doesn't have lewis, ngannou and Pavlovich's power

I think Aspinall has better boxing and better footwork. He could finish the fight anyway he wants imo. We haven't seen a HW as talented as Tom in the history of the UFC imho (not kidding). The guy has 100% tdd and hasn't ever even been out of the 1st rd. He has some of the highest level BJJ you'll ever see as well. I think he would have smoked Stipe in Stipe's prime along with every other HW for that matter. His hardest test would have been Francis due to the power and chin Francis has, not because of talent. And to top it off Tom's only 30 (which is young for HW) and still has a good 7 years left in him.
Pump the brakes bro, Tom has one decent win.

You Aspinall fans are insane. Gane obviously destroys Tom 9/10 times if it stays on the feet. Watch Gane's fight with Derrick Lewis. Or Volkov. Or really any of his fights where he doesn't get wrestled.

those guys are both slow as fuck. if Tai Tuivasa can catch Gane than Tom definitely can. however, i think it'd be much easier for Tom to just take him down.

Back