United Airlines and Orbitz is suing a 22 year old for taking advantage of a loop hole

I have no idea if I'm right lol. Just thinking out loud in consideration to your equally relevant thoughts.

To expand, I would gather they would pay him off for his site since it's his that has developed the following, then work to fix their own loophole on the immediate internally. By doing this, they draw much less attention to said loophole versus the national coverage they'll get by going through the courts, which could be utilized immensely throughout this entire ordeal by consumers, causing them to lose much more money than if they simply quietly shut down the site in silence and fixed their own shortcomings.

They can't close the loophole because it's an integral part of their pricing strategy. Not until it is being exploited on a massive scale.

They can't close the loophole because it's an integral part of their pricing strategy. Not until it is being exploited on a massive scale.

I believe you are right. If it was something that could have been done easily or quickly, they wouldn't even bother with the lawsuit.

If described correctly, one of the most frivolous lawsuits I've seen. Should get dismissed at the pleading stage.

Then it's a major risk drawing attention to it should they lose. And really, this seems like something that could easily just get thrown out of court.
Poor decision to create awareness by the airline.

I had no idea such a practice or website existed. I do now.

I don't fly much and if I do it's usually a round trip ticket but I'll check this out when the opportunity arises next time.

Thanks, United Airlines and Orbitz for bringing this to my attention by suing this dude.

I remember seeing hidden-city fares on the news like 10-15 years ago. They were doing a story about finding cheaper tickets, and this was one of the options for saving some money. It's all about knowing which airlines have hubs at which airports.

Also airlines constantly oversell planes, that's why they have people on standby or who get bumped.

That should totally be illegal. How can you sell 270 tickets to a plane you know only holds 260 people.

Car rental companies and hotels do that too.

the airline looks petty with suing the guy over this. they should just change their rules so this doesn't happen again.

I believe she is doing a service to the community.

the airline looks petty with suing the guy over this. they should just change their rules so this doesn't happen again.

How do you change the rules though?

Are you going to fine people for missing flights?

Airlines. Just wow. Hopefully he turns it around on them.

Instead of buying a ticket from A->B (more expensive) he decided to buy a ticket from A->B->C, but didn't board the plane at C (less expensive). They could have sold that seat to someone who needed to go to B->C and pay more.

Depending on where you're going, the seat prices are different which is why he did this. They could have gotten someone to pay more for that seat, and that's why they're upset. I agree it doesn't matter if he used it or not - in fact I think it's smart for him to have done this. But from a business standpoint, they're just upset because someone else could have bought a more expensive ticket, but him taking up that spot didn't allow them to sell a more expensive ticket.

So what they are upset about is that they now cannot rip someone else off by charging more for a ticket that they admit they can make a profit off of by selling at a lower price.

Those poor things. :icon_lol:

Because of him, someone flying out of atlanta doesn't have to be jammed up against another person while going to their final destination. Win, win for the passengers.

How do you change the rules though?

Are you going to fine people for missing flights?

that's a good question. and i'm not really sure. but i imagine that they're going to have to do something about this. it won't go on forever. so they'll have to find some kind of compromise with their customers.

The airline industry is getting even more exposed with this lawsuit and giving free press to the guy. F* Yeah!

I don't get how him pointing out cheaper loopholes is grounds for a lawsuit

Its not and he would win if it goes to a decision.

But they know most individuals will not absorb the costs or risk of a loss and would simply just quit doing it.

Why is the guy's age in the thread title? What does him being 22 have to do with anything. At that age he is neither a child nor an old fart, just a man.

I wonder if he will bring up travel sits using browser detection to manipulating the cost based on what browser you're using and how many times you've searched a flight.

Airlines - the only service industry you pay to be the bitch.

Why is the guy's age in the thread title? What does him being 22 have to do with anything. At that age he is neither a child nor an old fart, just a man.

Trying to show how awesome he is and how terrible the Airlines are for suing a kid. Yes, a 22 year old is a kid. I know I was a tard at 22.

[YT]IlV7RhT6zHs[/YT]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back