United Airlines and Orbitz is suing a 22 year old for taking advantage of a loop hole

SherdogGoat

Platinum & Braco Belt
Banned
Reaction score
http://thehigherlearning.com/2014/1...igured-out-genius-way-to-buy-cheaper-tickets/

"Let’s say you’re looking for a one-way flight from Houston to Atlanta. The cheapest one you can find is $300. However, you happen to stumble upon another flight, from Houston to Baltimore, that has a layover in Atlanta. The cost of this trip is only $250. Since you’re not planning to check any luggage, you book the Baltimore ticket and simply skip the second leg of the trip, getting off at your real destination in Atlanta with an extra $50 in your pocket.

The strategy is referred to as “hidden city” ticketing, and it is the basic concept behind Skiplagged.com, a website founded last year by tech-savvy 22-year-old Aktarer Zaman."

I don't think he did anything illegal there and I am glad to see that his GoFundMe page has garnered great support and 60k for him to fight the lawsuit.

Starting a website got him in the shit.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with buying a ticket and not boarding your flight.
People miss flights all the time, it's going to be hard to enforce the logic here as its selective.
If anything, it just shows who's truly taking advantage of who here when airlines can charge more for 1 flight than they can for effectively 2 that includes the initial destination.

I can understand the people that do travel a lot via commercial air looking for a cheaper ticket. With the prices traveling abroad has become a joke, if you have kids you can just forget about it.

I don't get how him pointing out cheaper loopholes is grounds for a lawsuit

I swear I will never be able to understand air line ticketing pricing.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with buying a ticket and not boarding your flight.
People miss flights all the time, it's going to be hard to enforce the logic here as its selective.
If anything, it just shows who's truly taking advantage of who here when airlines can charge more for 1 flight than they can for effectively 2 that includes the initial destination.

this. The lawsuit will never hold up in court.

I cannot even understand what he did wrong, how he caused any damage/harm to the company.

Well said.

There nothing illegal about that. Even if he made a site about it exploiting the air lines high prices and how to save.

They're trying to scare him into silence with the lawsuit - basically want to force him off line rather than paying lawyer fees to fight them and their million dollar retainer corporate lawyers.

I wonder if they first tried to buy him into silence or something. Also this lawsuit will probably be a publicity boon for his site, and the airline practice of screwing over passengers by hiding cheaper flights.

You are welcome Mr. Anaideia

jNdw5Qmy5MOpq.gif

Back