Understanding

Lumberjack strength is the best of all.

This thread made me do a double take.

At age (let's just say 40+) my gym strength is less than it was when I was in my 20's but my functional ass kicking strength is better than ever, and seems to keep increasing.

Functional ass kicking strength. GOLD!

I was accused of having "old man strength" and a "feudal grip" while rolling.
I wasn't trying to muscle, I thought I was only been firm.
I guess it is only natural after 40 years of judo and 25 + years of labor work.

I was accused of having "old man strength" and a "feudal grip" while rolling.
I wasn't trying to muscle, I thought I was only been firm.
I guess it is only natural after 40 years of judo and 25 + years of labor work.

I've never heard of a feudal grip before, but it sounds awesome.

"Old man strength" is a fallacy used to write off someone who doesn't look jacked but has a stronger grip and forearms than the younger weight lifting guys do.

I've seen the exact same phenomenon from guys who lay tile, do roofing, or have another manual labor occupation that involves gripping heavy things on the regular.

Even deep tissue massage therapists can have it.

Practice makes you better at stuff, practicing gripping things gives you more grip strength.

This. In my street fighting days, the guys who worked construction always hit like mules.

The worst ass kicking I've ever taken in BJJ was from a 50 year old blue belt, the guy was smaller then me but waaay stronger and unlimited cardio

I believe in old man strength. I was working with my 53 year olduncle at the gym who just started working out. He was athletic in highschool, ripped with a six pack. Then he worked steel jobs his whole life is now recovering from prostate cancer and a hernia. He has a HUGE belly now from the hernia and years of red meat and beer. After a work out we were working out in the boxing room talking about martial arts. Being oblivious he started asking about wrist locks and stuff cuz he used to love Steven Seagal movies. I had him grab my wrist to show him some stupid stuff but HOLY GEEZ his grip was amazing for a fat old man. I thought he was gonna crush my wrist.

Every time I see him he like fake fights with me and jeez his arm punches hurt more than most guys I spar with at the gym. And even at 50 and post cancer, anytime I need help moving a car engine, dryer or anything like that, I don't call any of my pussy freinds, I call his old ass.

That's funny, I have had several guys comment on my grip strength. I am 33, so I don't know if I qualify as an "old man" to you guys (I don't feel it) but I am on average about 8 years older then most of the guys in my classes.

I've read in several places that men reach their strength prime in their early 30s. Who knows. But another possible explanation is that I have 8+ years more of strength training under my belt. So I am in fact stronger overall, but many of the weight lifting exercises I've done regularly for the last say 15 years has improved hand/wrist strength.

That's funny, I have had several guys comment on my grip strength. I am 33, so I don't know if I qualify as an "old man" to you guys (I don't feel it) but I am on average about 8 years older then most of the guys in my classes.

I've read in several places that men reach their strength prime in their early 30s. Who knows. But another possible explanation is that I have 8+ years more of strength training under my belt. So I am in fact stronger overall, but many of the weight lifting exercises I've done regularly for the last say 15 years has improved hand/wrist strength.

Powerlifting is a sport where most of the top athletes are in their 30s. Strength tends to peak later in life than most other athletic attributes like speed, agility, and endurance do. Even if you take PEDs out of the equation, a lot of male athletes are stronger in their 30s than they were in their 20s.

I know the debate is between gym strength and functional strength, but things like gripping a heavy dumbbell all through your incline presses, using a thick rope when doing seat rows or tricep extension on a cable stack, dead lifts etc etc build amazing grips without even doing wrist rollers, grip machines etc. Take those moves and supplement pure grip moves like Farmer's walks, plate grips, etc.

I can't find it but there's a picture that floats around in the TMA magazines of some small old kung fu guy or something gripping these giant stone vases with his finger tips and his forearms are just ripping with definition.

Powerlifting is a sport where most of the top athletes are in their 30s. Strength tends to peak later in life than most other athletic attributes like speed, agility, and endurance do.

That is what I have read as well. I don't think it is specific to competitive powerlifting athletes either. I think it pretty much holds true for guys that lift regularly, even if only 3 or 4 times a week for an hour or so. Or guys that have hard physical jobs.

I know the debate is between gym strength and functional strength, but things like gripping a heavy dumbbell all through your incline presses, using a thick rope when doing seat rows or tricep extension on a cable stack, dead lifts etc etc build amazing grips without even doing wrist rollers, grip machines etc. Take those moves and supplement pure grip moves like Farmer's walks, plate grips, etc.

I can't find it but there's a picture that floats around in the TMA magazines of some small old kung fu guy or something gripping these giant stone vases with his finger tips and his forearms are just ripping with definition.

Agreed. There are also exercises that don't focus on wrists/forearms/hands that help as well. I find that doing pretty much any exercise in which you use hands/wrists to stabilize the weight help as well (like shoulder shrugs for example). Probably helps that I have always done forearm curls and use grip machines!

I have a sedentary office job and have probably average sized hands, but have gotten tons comments on my grip strength (BJJ and handshakes). Probably good advice to guys who train BJJ and supplement with strength training.

If old man strength was a real and viable thing then there wouldn't be a need for masters and senior divisions.
Unless of course its for the safety and protection of the younger guys.

this, im 2nd oldest in my gym and in my 40's. ill fightany age group in a comp, i couldnt careless about age.

If old man strength was real, every old man I roll with wouldnt complain about me hurting their necks in chokes

If old man strength was real, every old man I roll with wouldnt complain about me hurting their necks in chokes

Old man fragility is also real. Sad but true.

I think old men just apply their strength better. When I was younger, I used to clinch people and stand right in front of them. Now when I clinch with almost anyone in their 20's I end up looking at them dead in the ear. Even if they lift more than me, they perceive me as strong. I'm not that strong. I'm just stronger when it is important.

Old man fragility is also real. Sad but true.

Maybe. I haven't hit it yet though. I still seem to heal maybe 20% slower, noticeable but not all that significant in practical terms. I do know how to avoid injury and when to call it a day better, though.

Last edited:
Back