Understanding

Knew an old wrestler who we called John 'The Grip'. I met him first when I was about 14 and had just started wrestling. He shook my hand as if barely making contact. I didn't know what to make of it so I asked my coach and told me that he was 'The Grip' and that (despite being in his 70's) if he shook my hand properly he would have crushed every bone in my hand. He also said he reckoned if he grabbed my forearm and torqued his wrist upwards he would snap it in half.

I actually asked him a couple years later how he came to have such a ridiculous grip and he said that whenever he was bored as a kid he would just sit there and squeeze a tennis ball for ages. I'm also about 50% sure he did a manual labour job for a living... as well as wrestling a lot.

I know it's not strictly related, but I still think it's a pretty cool story.

Maybe. I haven't hit it yet though. I still seem to heal maybe 20% slower, noticeable but not all that significant in practical terms. I do know how to avoid injury and when to call it a day better, though.

That's pretty much me. I take a little longer to get warm, and a little longer to heal. But I've also had good grip strength since I started Judo, I've just never lost it.

Knew an old wrestler who we called John 'The Grip'. I met him first when I was about 14 and had just started wrestling. He shook my hand as if barely making contact. I didn't know what to make of it so I asked my coach and told me that he was 'The Grip' and that (despite being in his 70's) if he shook my hand properly he would have crushed every bone in my hand. He also said he reckoned if he grabbed my forearm and torqued his wrist upwards he would snap it in half.

I actually asked him a couple years later how he came to have such a ridiculous grip and he said that whenever he was bored as a kid he would just sit there and squeeze a tennis ball for ages. I'm also about 50% sure he did a manual labour job for a living... as well as wrestling a lot.

I know it's not strictly related, but I still think it's a pretty cool story.

The guy with the strongest grip I ever knew was a mechanic. He spent all day turning really large wrenches against tight bolts and his grip was ridiculous. It was funny because I met him doing Hapkido when I was a teenager, which has a lot of wristlocks. The idea of wristlocking this guy was a total joke, you might as well have tried to wrist lock a piece of iron.

Lies. Everyone knows there are not just levels but types of strengths. Among others, there are: farmer, old man, mechanic, fat guy, judo, and retard.
The little differences between England and the US...old man strength is called Dad strength here,and we have mong strength instead of retard.:)

If old man strength was real, every old man I roll with wouldnt complain about me hurting their necks in chokes

Choking a lot of senior citizens are we?

Just kidding. But I am interested in your definition of "old."

One of those old-age things for me is that I will definitely tap quicker to a neck crank than back in the day, especially when you have a spaz on your back who can't quite beat you at the hand fighting or can't get the choke in all the way so he just squeezes your chin with all his might instead of looking for a way to get the choke or switch off to something else.

In the olden days I always wanted to work my way out if I could but now I know the price I'll pay for days or weeks afterwards and I usually just tap. I'll give it a second or two but if I can't get free and spin into it or something I just tap and go again.

The little differences between England and the US...old man strength is called Dad strength here,and we have mong strength instead of retard.:)

For those unaware, "mong" is UK slang for "mongoloid" which is simultaneously racist and disparaging to retarded people because it compares the characteristic eyelid shape of people with Down's Syndrome to that of people from East Asian descent.

For those unaware, "mong" is UK slang for "mongoloid" which is simultaneously racist and disparaging to retarded people because it compares the characteristic eyelid shape of people with Down's Syndrome to that of people from East Asian descent.

Makes me think of the Devo song "Mongoloid" when the poster you quoted said that.

W00t. o_O

You try those exercises please

I have done gymnastics since I was a kid, there was nothing in that video that was terribly impressive except maybe his physique being lean.

his headstands he does against a pole and his planche was done with a partner assisting.

I would be way more impressed with a heavy deadlift as a show of someone's strength

Lies. Everyone knows there are not just levels but types of strengths. Among others, there are: farmer, old man, mechanic, fat guy, judo, and retard.

Are these levels of strength additive or are you only as strong as the highest level you occupy? Could an old, fat mechanic out-strength a "retarded" farmer?

Are these levels of strength additive or are you only as strong as the highest level you occupy? Could an old, fat mechanic out-strength a "retarded" farmer?

LOL'd so hard I cried. Well fucking done.

My grandfather did sheetmetal work his whole life. His grip strength was ridiculous. He attributed it to years of cutting sheetmetal with snips. When we were in our teens and early 20s and lifting a lot on the gym, my buddies and I used to arm wrestle him and he would kick our ass. This was well into his 60s. This continued until I got into my late 20s and gave him more of a challenge and realized that he'd have a heart attack before he'd let me win

My grandfather did sheetmetal work his whole life. His grip strength was ridiculous. He attributed it to years of cutting sheetmetal with snips. When we were in our teens and early 20s and lifting a lot on the gym, my buddies and I used to arm wrestle him and he would kick our ass. This was well into his 60s. This continued until I got into my late 20s and gave him more of a challenge and realized that he'd have a heart attack before he'd let me win

that's a good dad right there - no fake victories! earn it boy!

When my kids beat me, they know it was real. When they get praise, they know they earned it. Nip that girly man stuff in the bud. :)

I'm 48 and regularly train with guys in their 20's. I'm constantly getting the surprised look and complisult of "Old Man Strength". The funny thing is my Dad is 84 and can still crush my hand in a hand shake - and that's no bullshit. He used to be able to hold a sledgehammer in 1 hand and tip it to his nose and back to the ground for 10 reps. While he can't do that anymore he still has python strength in his hands/arms.

Old man strength is as real as it gets. Cop strength is right up there too.

Nothing beats retarded farmer strength.

Old Judoka who aren't suffering from debilitating injury are some scary MoFos. That's before you even take skill into account. Skill/experience+old man strength=flying and tapping practice

I squeeze endless boobage so my grip strength is off the fucking charts.

Back