Understanding

Surprised no one has posted this yet.

Holy smokes! That old man is a stud! That stuff he's doing at 2:35 is seriously difficult, that is major core strength.

As far as the original post and the link, meh. I grew up in a machine shop so I understand about old man strength from all the machinists I've been around, my dad included. They have crazy grip strength, but I don't think it is from the "disappearing" muscles cited in that less than scientifically rigorous article that was linked to. It is from using their hands every fucking day of their life, and building up massive tendons, ligaments, callouses, bones and muscles in their hands and forearms.

A few years ago we started building our house, and the foundation crew came first. Two guys dug the foundation out with pickaxes and shovels, and put up the forms with sledgehammers and claw hammers. One of them was a Mexican kid that was only 18, but he had been doing this job everyday since he was 15, and he had every bit as much old man strength as anyone you'll ever meet. Not a really big guy, but Popeye forearms, meaty hands with thick fingers, and could swing a big 14 or 16 lb. sledge around like it was a damn drumstick.

So I think it is more about the work you put in.

Back