"UFC

It was predicted by the TS to equal the amount of 2011. It wasn't currently equal.

I just post numbers, facts, and articles. It's not my fault people get mad about it. You can take it however you want or believe whatever you want about me..

Well that's easy enough to check now, since it's 2013.
Show me the numbers.

I'm not mad, neither do I have any specific opinion about you. Again, I'm just wondering why you are so obsessed with trying to prove that the UFC is failing.

What is Tomas Rios' problem with the UFC?...every once in awhile I'll see a thread about an article he wrote and always seems to come of extremely bias

Dana White fucked his mom and cleaned off with his pillow as the Fertittas showered them with $100 bills.

Well that's easy enough to check now, since it's 2013.
Show me the numbers.

I'm not mad, neither do I have any specific opinion about you. Again, I'm just wondering why you are so obsessed with trying to prove that the UFC is failing.

UFC 155 numbers haven't been guessed yet, so who knows. I know it needed 650k buys to equal 2011. I don't see anyway it did that, but who knows.

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm setting the record straight. I find the "everything is perfect and great" fan boys annoying. The type of fan who claims UFC on Fox 3 and 4 were successful is who I direct my facts to, and there are many of them.

Does Dana need to go, maybe. Should Dana shut his mouth on certain things, yes. Is the UFC in bad shape, that is something we do not know because none of know what figures the UFC pull in. I would assume they are doing well if they can continue to run events each month.

aww man hadnt heard the name tomas rios in some years :icon_surp

I'm not one to bad talk people I don't know, but everything I've ever seen or heard of Tomas Rios has been unprofessional. He's a smart talented guy, buy his ego conflictswith his work. One of my friends is a freelance journalist who often writes for Sherdog and had told me that he acts like a child and badmouths his peers.

UFC 155 numbers haven't been guessed yet, so who knows. I know it needed 650k buys to equal 2011. I don't see anyway it did that, but who knows.

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm setting the record straight. I find the "everything is perfect and great" fan boys annoying. The type of fan who claims UFC on Fox 3 and 4 were successful is who I direct my facts to, and there are many of them.

What record? I don't see many threads jabbering about how great the UFC is doing. I see many threads from you on the other hand, claiming the opposite.

Btw, here is that thread:
http://www2.sherdog.net/forums/f2/ufc-ppv-buys-2012-ufc-trouble-2229345/

Here were the numbers:

4,285,000 (Number current through 10 PPVs)
350,000 (153)
700,000 (154)
+ 600,000 (155)
--------------
5,935,000 2012 Total with 13 events with putting names on Fox for free

5,927,500 2011 Total with 16 events

-------------

Now, the 153 buys were reported at 340-410 after a quick check. Which means it could be 60000 more than the above estimation. UFC 154 was spot on. The prelim numbers for UFC 155 were very good, second to Anderson vs Sonnen 2, which did 950,000ish, so there is no reason to think it did less than 600000. In fact, a better guess would be at 800,000, since they were higher than Jones-Rashad which did 700,000.
So, it's quite likely they did 150-250k buys more than in 2011.

Now, even if they didn't, we are still talking about a lot of free fights with big names, cards spread thin, and a ludicrous amount of injuries (only one card the entire year stayed intact), oh and a cancelled event.
And we still aren't figuring in ad-money and the fox-money. And an economy that still isn't all that good. Oh, and that they consistently were in the top of the 18-34 bracket at FOX. Which is what the FOX president specifically said they partnered with the UFC for.

I'd say they are doing remarkably well, considering.

"by tomas rios"

no thank you...dude is bonkers, easily the worst sherdog contributer, AND the worst roundtable participant...his picks were retarded and embarrassing

I remember he picked against Joseph Benevidez one time and his reasoning was something along the lines of "Benevidez looks weird so I think he loses this bout". This was before his fight against Torres where he won by submission btw...

Tim Marchman, Tomas Rios and Dave Meltzer, the mma hate trio is complete now.

The facts, though, read like this. UFC’s Fox debut last November averaged an impressive 5.7 million viewers. Its last two offerings, by contrast, both drew an average viewership of about 2.4 million. The current season of The Ultimate Fighter reality show has averaged 835,000 viewers for FX on Friday nights, a huge decline from past seasons.

Damn. Tyson Fury has been catching a lot of hate for his attention whoring, but his fight with Dereck Chisora pulled over three million views, in a way smaller market. Maybe the UFC should think about setting up that shot at Cain. :p

The UFC is far from being in "bad shape". The guy who wrote this article has no sense of business what so ever. Here's what a company in bad shape would look like:

-Scrambling for outside investors: There would be a mad scramble for outside investors to pump money into the product without actually looking to sell the majority stake in it.

-Contraction: Fighters would be being cut left and right and there would be very few guaranteed contracts. Presently, the UFC has 360 fighters under guaranteed contract.

-Less events: There would be less and less events being held. The exact opposite is happening. UFC is expanding the number of events they are holding by leaps and bounds.

-Less expansion: There would be less expansion into outside markets. The UFC is currently expanding into new markets such as China, Japan, Australia, England, Brazil to the point where there are country specific versions of TUF.

-Less travel: You wouldn't see the UFC traveling outside of the United States, let alone the southwestern US. There would be little to no planned UFC events for outsidse of North America, or for that matter the US period.

-Less pay: Fighter pay would be scaled back, and bonuses more than likely eliminated. PPV % guarantee for the top guys would be non-existent.

-Smaller venues: Venues were events would be held at would be decreased in size dramatically. As it stands, rumor is that the UFC is looking into Wembely Stadium should Bisping beat Vitor for Bisping vs. Anderson Silva.

None of the things I listed, are happening to the UFC. I don't know where this guy gets that the UFC is in bad shape from.

The UFC is far from being in "bad shape". The guy who wrote this article has no sense of business what so ever. Here's what a company in bad shape would look like:

-Scrambling for outside investors: There would be a mad scramble for outside investors to pump money into the product without actually looking to sell the majority stake in it.

-Contraction: Fighters would be being cut left and right and there would be very few guaranteed contracts. Presently, the UFC has 360 fighters under guaranteed contract.

-Less events: There would be less and less events being held. The exact opposite is happening. UFC is expanding the number of events they are holding by leaps and bounds.

-Less expansion: There would be less expansion into outside markets. The UFC is currently expanding into new markets such as China, Japan, Australia, England, Brazil to the point where there are country specific versions of TUF.

-Less travel: You wouldn't see the UFC traveling outside of the United States, let alone the southwestern US. There would be little to no planned UFC events for outsidse of North America, or for that matter the US period.

-Less pay: Fighter pay would be scaled back, and bonuses more than likely eliminated. PPV % guarantee for the top guys would be non-existent.

-Smaller venues: Venues were events would be held at would be decreased in size dramatically. As it stands, rumor is that the UFC is looking into Wembely Stadium should Bisping beat Vitor for Bisping vs. Anderson Silva.

None of the things I listed, are happening to the UFC. I don't know where this guy gets that the UFC is in bad shape from.

but...but...but TUF ratings are bad!

but...but...but TUF ratings are bad!

TUF ratings could draw a 0.000001. It doesn't matter because the UFC got paid up front. They were paid to produce TUF and a certain amount of episodes. As long as they hold up their end of the bargain and give Newscorp[Fox, FX, Fuel TV's parent company] what they ask for, then they've done what was asked. They have no control over what day it airs, or what time they show it at.

[UFC has introduced] 145-, 135- and 125-pound divisions, and starting next year it will promote a women’s division as well. This will lead eventually to a near-doubling of the UFC’s effective roster size—at the peak of its popularity, the company was promoting just five divisions—that carries few obvious benefits, given the public’s lamentable lack of interest in smaller fighters.

Boxing shows us that smaller fighters can make names for themselves.

Personally, I don't take a huge amount of interest in more than a handful of fighters below welterweight, but it shouldn't take a genius to see that names will never be established in the light divisions if the UFC never tries to push lighter fighters.

Yes, no one will give a damn for the first several events, but no-one gave a damn about 155 when BJ Penn and Caol Uno were fighting for its belt. It's a classic case of egg-to-omelette -- some guy none of us care about right now might go on a tear at 125, defend the title by sub eight times and start to become a big deal; who knows?

IMO, the UFC tries waaaay to hard to impress the casual viewers (fuck them).

They need to stop with all the BS marketing and cater to it's hardcore fans.

Youre either in or outside the fence(pun intended).

awesome post

TUF ratings could draw a 0.000001. It doesn't matter because the UFC got paid up front. They were paid to produce TUF and a certain amount of episodes. As long as they hold up their end of the bargain and give Newscorp[Fox, FX, Fuel TV's parent company] what they ask for, then they've done what was asked. They have no control over what day it airs, or what time they show it at.

I think TUF has been played out at this point. The main purpose of it was to draw attention to mma and the UFC, which it did, very effectively.
It still could function as an pre-view of up and coming prospects, but the idea of a reality show focusing not so much on talent but on bro's and meatheads acting crazy because of being cooped up in a house for a couple of months, is pretty much done. I'm guessing the next one will do better, but then if they don't change the production or something, it's just gonna keep declining until it's not worth it anymore.

What record? I don't see many threads jabbering about how great the UFC is doing. I see many threads from you on the other hand, claiming the opposite.

Btw, here is that thread:
http://www2.sherdog.net/forums/f2/ufc-ppv-buys-2012-ufc-trouble-2229345/

Here were the numbers:

4,285,000 (Number current through 10 PPVs)
350,000 (153)
700,000 (154)
+ 600,000 (155)
--------------
5,935,000 2012 Total with 13 events with putting names on Fox for free

5,927,500 2011 Total with 16 events

-------------

Now, the 153 buys were reported at 340-410 after a quick check. Which means it could be 60000 more than the above estimation. UFC 154 was spot on. The prelim numbers for UFC 155 were very good, second to Anderson vs Sonnen 2, which did 950,000ish, so there is no reason to think it did less than 600000. In fact, a better guess would be at 800,000, since they were higher than Jones-Rashad which did 700,000.
So, it's quite likely they did 150-250k buys more than in 2011.

Now, even if they didn't, we are still talking about a lot of free fights with big names, cards spread thin, and a ludicrous amount of injuries (only one card the entire year stayed intact), oh and a cancelled event.
And we still aren't figuring in ad-money and the fox-money. And an economy that still isn't all that good. Oh, and that they consistently were in the top of the 18-34 bracket at FOX. Which is what the FOX president specifically said they partnered with the UFC for.

I'd say they are doing remarkably well, considering.
Those threads are littered with the type of people I speak of.

I know that was the thread, and nothing it shows was something I didn't already explain.

All numbers for 155 at this point is speculation. In fact that's what all the numbers are, but that's all we have to go off of.

Tomas Rios still writes? I assumed that clown would be bagging groceries by now.

Back