UFC signs new multi-year PPV deal. PPV business model to continue

While I believe they would like a broadcast network and fight pass only solution, they aren't in the position to get rid of PPV. What if FOX wants out at the end of the current deal or if they want to drastically reduce the price they pay?

Leverage with the broadcast networks won't exist until there is competition between networks for the package of products. There is nothing to indicate that exists today.

Wanting to move from PPV and it making sense to do so are 2 different things.

I got out of the PPV business years ago

This is just one article:

That article says nothing about getting a Fox deal to get out of PPV....you must be adding your own thoughts there!

It does say that Dana wants to get out of PPV and make it a viable mainstream sport, buy I don't ever see that happening. They may get out of PPV, but the UFC or MMA will never be a mainstream sport, at least not in North America, there's zero chance of that happening.

This. I just wish people saved their money and didn't enable such a horrid system of charging 40-60 bucks for 2.5 hours. I don't care if people have money to burn. It's still a shit system that needs to be punished.

PPV was originally something for special events.
Once companies like WWF, WCW & eventually UFC got greedy & started going from 1 to 4 to 8 to 14 events per year, they stopped being special.
That & the fact price has gone up makes arguing against you very tough.

If they kept it special & made stacked supercards 4x a year at $49.95 (the most), I would feel differently.

But they saw the revenue & went for it.
Even with PPV downtrending, they still make shitloads, so it is not going anywhere

Yeah, pretty much all true, thanks. :)

Rassling is horrific these days. Their content sucks and that is the issue. They have 40 writers putting together a jumble of shit and on top of that they have Vince changing anything at a whim on the night. Even having one Russo with a shit vision but a Vision, in charge would be better.

Then again, Dana has lost control of the UFC. Shit like Lawler Hendricks 3 is utterly ridiculous.

Rassling is horrific these days. Their content sucks and that is the issue. They have 40 writers putting together a jumble of shit and on top of that they have Vince changing anything at a whim on the night. Even having one Russo with a shit vision but a Vision, in charge would be better.

Meltzer uses the phrase "audience of one" & that is who the writers write for .... VINCE!
They stopped trying to do anything other than make Vince happy.
Every writer that spoke out after leaving has said the meetings are always about making Vince laugh & being happy.

NXT is their best TV & Vince has nothing to do with it.
But when an NXT guy/gal gets called up, they have to deal with Vince & his views.
The current NXT champ is as over as Daniel Bryan is & very similar & Vince refuses to call him up because he doesn't look like a WWE star in his eyes.
Guys like Bryan & Punk got over DESPITE Vince & that is the truth

If they dropped PPV, I would watch about every fight. I haven't bought PPVs since the quality went down with the exception of a few.

PPV is most of UFC's revenue.. of course they will never get rid of PPV.

WWE got rid of PPV and its killed them badly. lost loads of money.

Yeah, that was the thinking back when the deal was first announced. UFC being on FOX was going to suddenly change everything and take them away from PPV.

This guy is pissed because assumptions on Sherdog didn't come true

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

I used to think PPV was really archaic, still think it is for the majority of sports. But after a while, thinking about the reasons I have lost lots of interest in the UFC/MMA over the last few years, I think a lot has to do with the sport trying to become like any other, having events constantly, trowing a large number of names around, diluting fighters connections and enforcing more of a league sort of system.

I think ultimately the fight business can't work exactly like other regular sports. Most fans don't really have the interest in seeing fights every week, where we barely know anything about the guys. I had a reinforcement on the Jones/Cormier event, one of the few fights in a long time to draw me in with some friends to watch it, drinking on a Saturday night. For the 3 hours we were like, damn, we don't care about any of this fights, prelims, no namers even on the main card, we have no connection, let's do something else, we were almost sleeping hoping to get to Jones/Cormier quickly, which here in Brazil started around 3:30 am.

When it did though, everybody was fired up, bets were made previously and excitement was all around, because they were names, there was build up, involvement all around, people were behind different fighters and their personality/ stories. And that is the essence of the fighting business for the majority of people, have something going beyond the fight itself. Looking back Pride, it was so successful for MMA because it had this at its core, was built around a few elite guys that were in almost every card, that we got to know well and become connected like a family.

And that is why probably Boxing for over 100 years, never moved into truly mainstream as a sport, even though its star very much did, like Tyson, Ali, etc. The majority of fans, don't have the stomach or the interest, to follow a bunch of fighting day in and day out, like an NBA season, NFL Monday nights etc.

The fighting business at its core is 8-12 guys we have connection with and get draw in to see them fighting a few times a year and build up on a few others slowly. Of course, there are those hardcore fans, specially here, that are happy to see 20 fights non stop, every week. But for the majority of fans, I think it gets saturated quickly and with no connection to the fighters the interest is lost and become just guys breaking themselves up physically in a trivial manner.

That is why the PPV model has been so predominantly in fighting, it is designed for sports that spike interest for a few hours a number of times over a year. Manny potentially fighting Floyd illustrates this well also, most people, including a lot of us here, don't care at all to watch boxing even on a monthly basis, but will turn in like crazy for this fight because we are involved in it.

Meltzer uses the phrase "audience of one" & that is who the writers write for .... VINCE!
They stopped trying to do anything other than make Vince happy.
Every writer that spoke out after leaving has said the meetings are always about making Vince laugh & being happy.

NXT is their best TV & Vince has nothing to do with it.
But when an NXT guy/gal gets called up, they have to deal with Vince & his views.
The current NXT champ is as over as Daniel Bryan is & very similar & Vince refuses to call him up because he doesn't look like a WWE star in his eyes.
Guys like Bryan & Punk got over DESPITE Vince & that is the truth

I read an interview from an ex WWE writer and their writing method was utter bullshit.

They have 11 segments per RAW.

Each writer, EACH, pitches his 11 segments for the show.

Then the head writer chooses which segments he wants.

Then it goes to Vince over the weekend and he shits all over it.

And then they rewrite on Sunday and on Monday all day.

You cannot have a coherent vision or direction or strategy working in this way.

Back