UFC signs new multi-year PPV deal. PPV business model to continue

What do you mean 30,000 subs & PPV?
Sorry that confuses me

Did you mean they make a profit at 30k in BUYS or do you mean if they move PPV to FightPass (like WWE-n) they need 30k in subs to make a profit.
Both are incorrect, but I am not sure if you meant either

30k in PPV buys = about $750k - no way that makes them a PPV profit

I really don't know the breaking point, but I would like to know... its gotta be under 100k, cause there have been several low ppvs and they don't seem to mind those

It's actually no surprise to me that they waited until the high profile fights to increase the cost of the PPVs recently. Good marketing tactic...but how long will it last once the dull fight cards reappear?

It's actually no surprise to me that they waited until the high profile fights to increase the cost of the PPVs recently. Good marketing tactic...but how long will it last once the dull fight cards reappear?

Like Hendricks/Lawler 3? And the WW champ not fighting until the middle of the year? And fucking Rory "Canada PPV" McDonald over? Not even mentioning the LW situation.

I read an interview from an ex WWE writer and their writing method was utter bullshit.

They have 11 segments per RAW.

Each writer, EACH, pitches his 11 segments for the show.

Then the head writer chooses which segments he wants.

Then it goes to Vince over the weekend and he shits all over it.

And then they rewrite on Sunday and on Monday all day.

You cannot have a coherent vision or direction or strategy working in this way.

& they write trying to guess what Vince might like.
Many times Vince shits on an idea & then months later comes up with almost the same idea on his "own".
Also, he begins with "what do we have for Cena" & "what is the opening talking segment"

He has no idea what fans want & hasn't in 15 years

I really don't know the breaking point, but I would like to know... its gotta be under 100k, cause there have been several low ppvs and they don't seem to mind those

For WWE it was under 100. Something like 55-65k
I remember Meltzer saying they made a lil money at 80-85

cash cow, probably minimal cost to provide ppv and they make buckets regardless of falling buy rates. Buy it or stream it the UFC is making profits.

That article says nothing about getting a Fox deal to get out of PPV....you must be adding your own thoughts there!

It does say that Dana wants to get out of PPV and make it a viable mainstream sport, buy I don't ever see that happening. They may get out of PPV, but the UFC or MMA will never be a mainstream sport, at least not in North America, there's zero chance of that happening.

Agreed. UFC is too much like WWE and not enough like the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA. In other words, it isn't a legit sports organization. Especially with the way it's run.

What the fuck happened to UFC's deal with FOX that was going to "revolutionize" the business and take them out of PPV?!

It never happened. Can you source the UFC saying the FOX deal was to get them out of PPV?

The Fox deal was supposed to open up UFC to a wider audience and thus increase PPV sales and that hasn't happened either.

For WWE it was under 100. Something like 55-65k
I remember Meltzer saying they made a lil money at 80-85

that makes sense.. sorta, but i guess what really needs to be examined is what exactly all this means. 80k ppvs is enough to cover what it takes to put on a ppv? (that is camera crew, television spots, ppv marketing, etc.. and not including fighter pay and arena rentals... cause that is a separate bill)

Have never bought a PPV and never will. It would take something drastic to get me to pay for an event, such as dropping to $20.

It's unfortunate to see them sticking to the PPV model. I think to move forward and grow UFC needs to re-evaluate how they deliver their product.

Find me some where that anyone stated that related to the UFC. It was never meant to be that, UFC was always signed to bolster FS1 essentially and it has.

Getting on Fox is just sort of them returning the favor by giving them some prime time slots to grow their brand.

They never said they wanted to leave PPV and after how bad the WWE Network did I doubt they will for awhile.

Unfortunately, this.

PPV is the thing I like least about the UFC.

Did you guys honestly expect the UFC to stop PPVs by the end of this year?

It just so happens that I've signed a moral contract with the interstreams

Meh, seems like recently the fight nights have been better cards than the PPV's or at least on the same level for the most part.

that makes sense.. sorta, but i guess what really needs to be examined is what exactly all this means. 80k ppvs is enough to cover what it takes to put on a ppv? (that is camera crew, television spots, ppv marketing, etc.. and not including fighter pay and arena rentals... cause that is a separate bill)

With WWE it was to break even on everything
Since they have the same roster basically for most b-level events (Not Mania or Summer Slam or Rumble), their cost are usually similar
UFC would depend on the headliners & their base & how much advertising went into it if a big name was on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back