UFC/Pride Heavyweight Champions with least-to-most Top 10 ranked wins at Heavyweight.

Why doesn't beating the Champ count as a top 10 win?

Edit: Seems there were a lot of vacant title wins.

@acannxr

Is there a way for you to check Suredawg rankings historically?
Only way to find them is by doing painstaking searching through webarchives.

Just out of curiosity, where is Ice Cold on Coleman's record? Igor was 42-2 heading into the fight with Coleman and I could of sworn was #1 or #2 in the world at the time.....

LOL @ Shoji being ranked, ever.

Edit - are they not crediting Igor because it was the OWGP? That's garbage, they were both at HW.
The Vovchanchyn fight was at Openweight and he was also only ranked #11 at the time.

Why doesn't beating the Champ count as a top 10 win?

Edit: Seems there were a lot of vacant title wins.
You'll have to be a bit more specific, that question can apply to a lot of the fights in this list.

Impressive work man, nice threads, thanks.
When thinking off the top of my head I had 3 that surprised me...Brock I kind of knew but didn't realize he beat that many ranked guys...Also Rashad and Whittaker surprised me as well for some reason.

[QUOTE

Fedor Emelianenko

Emelianenko has 13 top ten wins.[/QUOTE]
Bbbbbbbut Fedor only fought can his entire career...dorks. They seriously don't realize that yes, he fought some subpar competition, but also fought the best of the best at the time

Fedor Emelianenko

Emelianenko has 13 top ten wins.[/QUOTE]
Bbbbbbbut Fedor only fought can his entire career...dorks. They seriously don't realize that yes, he fought some subpar competition, but also fought the best of the best at the time

Btw, awesome job in all these weight classes you've done, @acannxr

Only way to find them is by doing painstaking searching through webarchives.

The Vovchanchyn fight was at Openweight and he was also only ranked #11 at the time.

You'll have to be a bit more specific, that question can apply to a lot of the fights in this list.
LOL @ that list. It's fucking whack.

Gary Goodridge as A #5 on Nog's list.

Semmy a #2 on Barnett's resume.

Yikes
Semmy got the #2 by beating Pste Williams lol. Goodridge was 13-12 but apparently beating Valenti Overeem was good enough to be #5.

When these guys make it, of course Fedor has 13 top 10 wins lol.

Last edited:
"Fedor only beat up on cans in Japan LOL!"

Roy Nelson was definitely ranked when JDS beat him
For beating Brendan Schaub in the TUF finale and Stefan Struve?

Here's FightMatrix' top ten just prior to the JDS/Nelson fight, and you tell me if Nelson deserves to be above any one of these fighters, m'kay?

1. Brock Lesnar
2. Fabricio Werdum
3. Fedor Emelianenko
4. Cain Velasquez
5. Shane Carwin
6. Junior dos Santos
7. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
8. Frank Mir
9. Alistair Overeem
10. Josh Barnett

For the record, Nelson was all the way down at #20.

Open weight didn't count? Well that's stupid.
Openweight is not the same division as Heavyweight, it's not stupid, just a simple fact.

The Lightweight version is here.
The Welterweight version is here.
The Middleweight version is here.
The Light Heavyweight version is here.

Rankings are based on FightMatrix.

Bas Rutten

Rutten has 0 top ten wins (90% of his fights took place at Openweight).

Fedor Emelianenko

Emelianenko's resume:

#7 Renato Sobral

Emelianenko has 13 top ten wins.

#7 Renato Sobral was at openweight.

Openweight is not the same division as Heavyweight, it's not stupid, just a simple fact.

Openweight is same division as Heawyweight. Divisions are fabricated imagionary stuff that were introdouced later. In OW everybody are HW. You can fight anyone as long as you able to. Openweight is older.

Well done, TS. Well researched and an interesting observation. If anything, it debunks a few myths. Fedor is rightly the GOAT HW and this really proves it, unless Stipe can go on to defend and win his next 3 fights.

Barnett surprised me. I don't remember him beating so many top 10 HWs, but history gets distorted (I think his 3 drug failures kind of dimmed his career highlights). JDS is rightly near the top of all-time HWs. He has cracked against top 1-3 fighters the past few years, but a lot of people forget that he was fighting top 10 guys basically every fight since he joined the UFC. His first UFC fight was a KO win against Werdum, and he went on to KO elite comp after elite comp. Everyone seems to only remember the Cain beatings, but up until 2011, he was a straight murderer.

Well done again for a great thread.

Back