PBP UFC on ESPN 11: Blaydes vs. Volkov PBP Discussion: 5:00 p.m. ET/2:00 p.m. PT

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah. I had Blaydes by TKO in Rd 3. I didn't think he would gas as badly and as quick as he did. Something he and his camp need to work on for sure and he really shouldn't be all too proud of this performance.

I do think people are showing recency bias, however. Blaydes has finished most of his fights and has greatly improved his standup. He's never gassed this badly before, either. I'd like to think that he uses this as an impetus to improve his cardio. If this fight isn't a wake-up call, I don't know what is.

I almost feel like this outcome was some kind of karmic rebalancing after he surprised everyone by TKO'ing JDS on the feet. In any case, I'm still a fan in hopes that he works on his defencies as he has in the past. Every fighter is allowed a pass for a stinker here and there in my book. For Izzy it was Romero, for Anderson it was Maia, etc...

Yes absolutely, I'm with you 100 percent. Not a champion level fighter in that octagon during the Main

But there is definitely a silver lining in that Volkov is very hard to finish only 4 in 39 fights and of course Blaydes is only 29. HW's in their mid to late 30's have been known to have success in MMA so Blaydes can still improve and eventually overcome those last 3 guys in front of him

Yeah, but UFC would also never book a fight with that bad of a mismatch. UFC wouldn’t even have a fighter that poor on the roster.
punk.jpg

{<redford} from a Blaydes fan, that is definitely the case after this fight tonight.

The only possible silver lining would be Volkov has only been finished 4 times in 39 contests... and of course Blaydes is only 29 years old in a division historically known for older guys in their mid to late 30's to find success

Either way he had nothing special for Volkov after he gassed in the 3rd round and that is very disappointing for me

I am in no way saying Blaydes is anything but a top HW. He's damn good and I expect him to get better. I'm only saying he remains too one dimensional and tonight's performance was in some ways deceptively bad.

I am in no way saying Blaydes is anything but a top HW. He's damn good and I expect him to get better. I'm only saying he remains too one dimensional and tonight's performance was in some ways deceptively bad.

<mma4> 100 percent in agreement

Quit trying to defend him , his cardio is garbage. He honestly did nothing other than take down and lay and stay after the 3rd round against sub par talent like Volkov. He just showed he is far from elite , Cain and DC both who are wrestlers never gassed liked this while being three time’s as active on the ground, meanwhile blaydes doing nothing on the ground and looking like DaDa 5000

hopefully Gustafson ends blaydes life after he beats werdum
Again, Curtis's cardio isn't that bad by Heavyweight standards. Look at the Overeem and Harris fight as an example of this. Harris was totally gassed by the end of the first round, and he was already done by the time the second round started. Curtis fought 5 hard rounds and he took a big and powerful man like Alexander down 14 times. Almost any Heavyweight would gas from that.

How dare you make another logical post. HOW DARE YOU. STOP MAKING QUALITY POSTS.
ewN2MZz.gif

*WINK*

Yeah, but UFC would also never book a fight with that bad of a mismatch. UFC wouldn’t even have a fighter that poor on the roster.
Dude ufc has had some garbage fighters. CM Punk was way worse .
Lmao. The same Gus who is back and forth with retirement plans? Whatever makes you sleep well at night.
He’s shown a hell of a lot more heart and talent than blaydes ever has

we get it , your a blaydes fan boy

Again, Curtis's cardio isn't that bad by Heavyweight standards. Look at the Overeem and Harris fight as an example of this. Harris was totally gassed by the end of the first round, and he was already done by the time the second round started. Curtis fought 5 hard rounds and he took a big and powerful man like Alexander down 14 times. Almost any Heavyweight would gas from that.
Part of it is the fact that blaydes likely could have ended it early when he had the energy but decided to fight super conservative gassing himself out and ending up looking like an amateur at the end of the day

Props to Green if that's what your responding too. Fucking amen. Fuk this shit world for it's blind stupidity.
You already know. BLM. Now that doesn't mean all lives don't matter. I'm also close friends with two police officers who are great men. I would say more but that's for the war room. If you don't think systemic racism is real. Then I guess ignorance is bliss.

Not speaking to you man. Just venting.

Dude ufc has had some garbage fighters. CM Punk was way worse .

He’s shown a hell of a lot more heart and talent than blaydes ever has

we get it , your a blaydes fan boy

CM Punk was an big outlier in terms of UFC quality. Very few male fighters are or really have ever been that bad.

In WMMA, due to the shallowness of the talent pool, there's a lot more tolerance for mediocre or bad fighters.

Yes absolutely, I'm with you 100 percent. Not a champion level fighter in that octagon during the Main

But there is definitely a silver lining in that Volkov is very hard to finish only 4 in 39 fights and of course Blaydes is only 29. HW's in their mid to late 30's have been known to have success in MMA so Blaydes can still improve and eventually overcome those last 3 guys in front of him

Agreed. He still has time to iron things out.

I don't disagree entirely, but I don't know if calling him one-dimensional tells the whole story. He actually showed shades of solid striking in Rounds 1 and 2 and in previous recent performances. The issue is that it disappeared along with his gas tank and any attempts at finishing on the ground.

What I think would make Blaydes the complete package and a legitimate contender rather than the guy who skated by tonight are two things:
  • Cardio: Pretty self-explanatory after tonight. Never seen him gas so badly and so quickly before. Definite issue for any Heavyweight with title aspirations.
  • Submissions: Blaydes has used offensive BJJ before in order to advance and control positions for GnP and talked about spending a lot of time working on it in the gym. But he's yet to so much as attempt a submission across his UFC tenure. The ability to even threaten some basic bread & butter subs from the top would be massive for his overall game.

You already know. BLM. Now that doesn't mean all lives don't mstter. I'm also close friends with two police officers who are great men. I would say more but that's for the war room. If you don't think system racism is real. Then I guess ignorance is bliss.

Yea I come from family of Military and Blues. Did my service time and have a degree of respect for certain values and perspectives. As you stated wont go further as it's war room material and I'm not going there.

Bless and Be Well!

Agreed. He still has time to iron things out.

I don't disagree entirely, but I don't know if calling him one-dimensional tells the whole story. He actually showed shades of solid striking in Rounds 1 and 2 and in previous recent performances. The issue is that it disappeared along with his gas tank and any attempts at finishing on the ground.

What I think would make Blaydes the complete package and a legitimate contender rather than the guy who skated by tonight are two things:
  • Cardio: Pretty self-explanatory after tonight. Never seen him gas so badly and so quickly before. Definite issue for any Heavyweight with title aspirations.
  • Submissions: Blaydes has used offensive BJJ before in order to advance and control positions for GnP and talked about spending a lot of time working on it in the gym. But he's yet to so much as attempt a submission across his UFC tenure. The ability to even threaten some basic bread & butter subs from the top would be massive for his overall game.
Solid post imo

Yea I come from family of Military and Blues. Did my service time and have a degree of respect for certain values and perspectives. As you stated wont go further as it's war room material and I'm not going there.

Bless and Be Well!
I'm also come from a similar family. Most of my family has served in the US military. I think it's wrong to vilify every cop. It's a spectrum.

Back