UFC Official Statement: 207 Will Proceed with 10 Bouts. (No Werdum Fight Replacement)

http://m.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-Cain-Velasquez-122416

"Saturday afternoon, the UFC was informed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission that Cain Velasquez is unfit to fight. As a result, the former two-time heavyweight champion has been removed from his Dec. 30 bout against Fabricio Werdum at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

UFC 207, which is headlined by the women's bantamweight title fight between Amanda Nunes and Ronda Rousey, will proceed with 10 bouts."

^^
Seems like Werdum turned down JDS, and Struve, who both offered to fill in.

39226-SjqQ1gif-BYVv.gif
Werdum turning down an entire payday just to avoid JDS lol.

Pathetic.

Primadonnas pervade this sport now.

Used to be a huge fan of Werdum. I cannot tolerate ducking, however.

Struve and JDS are already scheduled to headline in February. A bout agreement is a contract. Neither guy is going to give up a payday if the other fills in for Cain.

This BS of Werdum "ducking" JDS is gossip mongering at it's finest.

Struve and JDS are already scheduled to headline in February. A bout agreement is a contract. Neither guy is going to give up a payday if the other fills in for Cain.

Didn't JDS offer to step in ?

That's not how it works. The UFC can mix & match, pull opponents, etc.

Fighters get their scheduled opponents pulled all the time, to replace someone else.

Didn't JDS offer to step in ?

That's what he says, but that's far from the reality.

First, Struve would need to agree to back out of the Feb. 19 bout agreement, meaning he would be giving up a payday - highly unlikely.

Second, the UFC would have to cancel the bout agreement, and completely change the Feb event to find a replacement for JDS, or both, if Struve didn't like his potential new replacement.

UFC is not going to do this just to save one fight that isn't even co-main.

JDS probably just threw that comment out - there was no hair on it.

That's not how it works. The UFC can mix & match, pull opponents, etc.

Fighters get their scheduled opponents pulled all the time, to replace someone else.

Of course if someone is injured, misses weight, etc., or violates terms of the contract or UFC policy, the bout agreement will be deemed null, and a new one would be issued to the replacement and the original fighter.

A bout agreement is a binding contract between two fighters and the UFC. For mixing and matching to occur, if both fighters have signed, one must legally withdraw barring the aforementioned circumstances, and both JDS and Struve are still healthy, so I don't see Struve backing out of his payday and giving it up so easily.

JDS may have been serious that he would do it, but the logistics are something completely different. Him just throwing out there "I'll replace Cain" means nothing.

Of course if someone is injured, misses weight, etc., or violates terms of the contract or UFC policy, the bout agreement will be deemed null, and a new one would be issued to the replacement and the original fighter.

A bout agreement is a binding contract between two fighters and the UFC. For mixing and matching to occur, if both fighters have signed, one must legally withdraw barring the aforementioned circumstances, and both JDS and Struve are still healthy, so I don't see Struve backing out of his payday and giving it up so easily.

JDS may have been serious that he would do it, but the logistics are something completely different. Him just throwing out there "I'll replace Cain" means nothing.

No, that's not how it works. The UFC can just pull your opponent away and give them to someone else. Ask Jorge Masvidal.

That's what he says, but that's far from the reality.

First, Struve would need to agree to back out of the Feb. 19 bout agreement, meaning he would be giving up a payday - highly unlikely.

Second, the UFC would have to cancel the bout agreement, and completely change the Feb event to find a replacement for JDS, or both, if Struve didn't like his potential new replacement.

UFC is not going to do this just to save one fight that isn't even co-main.

JDS probably just threw that comment out - there was no hair on it.

So the ufc changing things around to keep Rhondas PPV stacked is less likely to happen then Werdum declining JDS ?

I'm not sure.

oh ffs

I knew it

I KNEW Cain would pull out

I never want to see him in a number 1 contender or title fight again, he can be a gatekeeper to the top 10 or something, he's way too unreliable

card looks mediocre now

edit: so he didn't pull out..he's just fucked up to the point they wouldn't clear him, my point still stands, never put him into a big fight again

He didn't pull out?

Telling every interviewer and anyone who will listen that he can't take the back pain, has surgery scheduled and is taking cortisone/cannabis for the pain is him BEGGING the commission to take action.

It's his way of forcing their hand and not having to take responsibility.

Why cant ufc salvage failed cards by saying proceeds from failed card ppv will be donated to charity.

Can be used as writeoff. And good karma.

new card.

Main Card: (PPV-10pm et)
135lbs- Amanda Nunes (13-4) vs. Ronda Rousey (12-1) {Women’s Bantamweight Title Fight}
135lbs- Dominick Cruz (22-1) vs. Cody Garbrandt (10-0 ){Men’s Bantamweight Title Fight}
135lbs- TJ Dillashaw (13-3) vs. John Lineker (29-7)
125lbs- Ray Borg (9-2) vs. Louis Smolka (11-2)

Preliminary Card: (FOX Sports 1-8pm et)
170lbs- Johny Hendricks (17-5) vs. Neil Magny (18-5)
170lbs- Dong Hyun Kim (21-3-1) vs. Tarec Saffiedine (16-5)
185lbs- Antonio Carlos Junior (6-2) vs. Marvin Vettori (11-2)
170lbs- Alex Garcia (13-3) vs. Mike Pyle (27-12-1)

Preliminary Card: (UFC Fight Pass- 7pm et)
170lbs- Tim Means (26-7-1) vs. Alex Oliveira (16-3-1)
170lbs- Brandon Thatch (11-4) vs. Niko Price (8-0)

265lbs- Cain Velasquez (14-2) vs. Fabricio Werdum (21-6-1) Cancelled Dec 24.
Lol @ those records. This sport desperately needs a more refined armature circuit

You do realize that UFC has pulled a fighter from a scheduled fight to use to replace a fighter that pulled out of another fight, right? It happens quite often.

Also, it's not gossip. It's been officially reported that he was offered JDS and Struve and Werdum turned them both down.

Cain doesn't want to fight against Werdum and he tries the trick of abandon a fight in order that UFC put someone which can beat Werdum...

Man that's such a bummer. Not even surprised anymore, but still disappointed so close. If I was Werdum, I would fight Struve and wait on JDS with a different camp.

Back