UFC not lacking stars anymore (Jones, Silva, GSP, Lesnar OUT)(McGregor, Ronda IN)

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Metallicalabran, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Metallicalabran

Metallicalabran Don't be scared homie!

Lesnar the biggest draw ever is gone, then GSP is gone (probably the second biggest), then Silva is gone and finally Jon Jones. Last two were not know by his draw but were DOMINANT CHAMPIONS ON HEAVY DIVISIONS. Thats always important, and obviously sell a lot of PPV too...

When UFC lost those big draws, the typical thread "UFC is dying..." multiplied even more, and is not hard to understand, UFC was really strugling with PPV. Everyone was saying: The gold era of the MMA has gone, we never ever gona have stars and draws like that (Jones, Silva, GSP, Lesnar)

but now we have:

- Conor McGregor. Confirmed he is a HUGE draw and he is still not even the real champion ! McGregor vs Aldo is still to come, and huge PPV sells. And some more, he is from a light division when UFC never sells big amount of PPV. He is like rising a division normally doesnt sell very much.

- Ronda Rousey, she is not proven to be an amazing draw but extremely popular among casual and women, that's audience no one on UFC now or before could reach, if UFC move his marketing department and could make those people pay for a PPV... HOLY SHIT. That could be out of this earth level of PPV sales. POTENTIAL BIGGEST DRAW.

- TJ Dillashaw... please dont laugh here. His style of fighting is very appealing and he seems to get more dominant every time he fights. For sure he COULD surpass the regular PPV sell rate in THAT division. Remember light divisions always sell poor compared to heavier.

AND !!!... Jon Jones can come back, Silva for sure will come back. GSP we never know.

So, we can say UFC is doing pretty good right now. When the big four were gone this seemed the apocalypse, but right now you can say UFC is not dying, is pretty healthy.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. theMMA

theMMA White Belt

solid troll post, respect.

3. MaulingMyClown

MaulingMyClown Green Belt

I'll give you Conor and Ronda and even JBJ if/when he comes back. But no way with Dillashaw. I like him, but I don't think he has any drawing power...I actually think Werdum has a chance to be up there, he is very likable and great at trolling. Also, if Fedor signs he is immediately in the mix.

4. theincognito

theincognito Brown Belt

Ronda/Conor are actually bigger than GSP/Silva. Ronda in particular is becoming a household name. Those other two, while great fighters, were just huge names in the MMA circle.

5. damson

damson Banned Banned

you also have to attribute a lot of gsp's success to Canada.

i also see a lot of upside to weidman if he can get past rockhold. a lot of really good fights for him left at mw.

6. Metallicalabran

I dont think Dillashaw could reach Ronda/Conor numbers, but for sure he can sell far more PPV than Barao/Cruz.

Remember he is fighting in banthamweight division ! If that division was selling 150K i think Dillashaw could do 300K for sure. UFC selling PPV were before they were not selling any. Just like McGregor, Aldo was selling shit PPV numbers in that division.

Those are division never sell well, and this guys are changing this aspects of MMA.

Werdum is charismatic and can sell, but he is a HW, and that division is full of big draw name, I think Werdum doesnt shine in PPV numbers compared to other HW (just the opposite than TJ agains another banthams, or Conor agains another featherweights, thats the point)

7. Speckoh

Speckoh Orange Belt

lol lesnar... people tuned in to watch LESNAR lose. as werdum would say "**** GUY, SO MUCH ****"
    LESNAR [​IMG]

before ronda and mcgregor hit the scene
    i used to buy PPV's for hw, lhw, mw, and gsp fights.

now i buy hw, lhw, mw, mcgregor, ronda, and after that epic display from rory/lawler fight... i'll give lawler another shot. probably not into another hendricks/lawler hump the leg fight again though.

8. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

we have Ronda, thats all

9. Jackonflame

Jackonflame Gold Belt

These things are cylical. Stars come and go.

[​IMG]

10. BisexualMMA

BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

I think Dillashaw can eclipse the buyrates of Barao and Cruz, but I kind of doubt he'll ever be considered one of the "big three" or "big four." Time will tell. I could be wrong.

11. BisexualMMA

BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

McConaughey re-enacts Rousey vs Correia.

12. Metallicalabran

you are saying McGregor is not a big star and not a big draw ???

13. frederick

frederick Black Belt

The old stars felt more authentic. Now they feel like PR campaigns.

14. deviake

deviake NightwingBJJ Belt

Agreed with the OP.

Ronda's popularity in particular is wild. I've heard things about her from people who don't follow MMA.

15. Janiger

Janiger White Belt

Look at the stars Joe! The stars twinkle they are so great.

16. Jackonflame

Jackonflame Gold Belt

:icon_chee The thought crossed my mind. But not until I posted.

17. Metallicalabran

agree, I am optimistic, but agree with you. Could be big for UFC tough, considering his division. Because heavier always sell a lot, and always have big draws.

18. teamfox223

teamfox223 Brown Belt

I really hope Joanna can become a big star, her fighting style is fan friendly, she has lot of confident almost cocky but not enough to turn people off. Likes to play mind games with her opponent.

19. BigGucciSosa

BigGucciSosa Red Belt

You should start taking your meds again.

20. mma midwest fan

mma midwest fan Purple Belt

Conor could lose to Aldo. He will still be a star, but that could set him back.