UFC must be nuts to think UFC 289 is worth $80

Serious question why is it considered a bad card? Because theres a lot of no names?
Sometimes, unknown randoms put up better fights than big name fighters.
The card doesn't look that exciting to me apart from the co-main, but you never know, the card might deliver

queue the same answers.
1. no name fighters sometimes produce the best fights!
2. these kinds of cards usually deliver!
3. these guys are actually straight up maulers, you just dont know bro!
4. this is high level MMA and actually a great PPV!

and then the decision suck fest happens, with bad judges decisions. rinse and repeat.

I could’ve shelled out a couple thousand to go see UFC Vancouver in person, but then I saw the card and was like “fuck that it’s not worth it” Beneil/Oliveira is great, and there’s a couple other decent scraps, but that’s about it

I believe a beaver pelt hockey helmet actually, but I’m an ignorant American, so don’t listen to me!

I remember back in the day when UFC 178 Mighty Mouse vs Cariaso was considered a bad PPV.

This would be a top PPV in today's UFC:

upload_2023-6-8_13-7-8.png

And this is AFTER Jones/Gus 2, Jones/DC 1, and Khabib/Cerrone fell through and they were "left" with this card.

It’s definitely not a strong card. But it’s not TJ vs Soto card bad

I could’ve shelled out a couple thousand to go see UFC Vancouver in person, but then I saw the card and was like “fuck that it’s not worth it” Beneil/Oliveira is great, and there’s a couple other decent scraps, but that’s about it

I've got a buddy out in fairly remote BC and when he heard the UFC was coming to Vancouver he was going to go and do a family weekend trip to coincide with it as he hasn't been to a card since Khabib/Conor. There's never any cards near him so the only ones he gets to see are if he does a trip for it.

Well, him and his family are still going to Vancouver this weekend but he said he's sure as shit not going to the card. The dude is literally doing whatever his wife and 2 small children want to do on Saturday night instead of seeing his first live card in 5 years. Which is probably going to be nothing as his kids go to bed at 8pm and someone's got to watch them so him and his wife can't even leave whereas before his wife was just going to stay in while he went to the card. Now he's just probably going to tune in for Charles/Beneil and that's it.

Feel bad for the dude.

Have posted it a million times but if you pay for UFC PPV's you're either:
1:Very solidly middle class (or wealthy)
2:having a watch party/kick back
3: you're a chump

If only there was a way to not pay but watch the fights without having to do so live...

My inbox is empty

I've got a buddy out in fairly remote BC and when he heard the UFC was coming to Vancouver he was going to go and do a family weekend trip to coincide with it as he hasn't been to a card since Khabib/Conor. There's never any cards near him so the only ones he gets to see are if he does a trip for it.

Well, him and his family are still going to Vancouver this weekend but he said he's sure as shit not going to the card. The dude is literally doing whatever his wife and 2 small children want to do on Saturday night instead of seeing his first live card in 5 years. Which is probably going to be nothing as his kids go to bed at 8pm and someone's got to watch them so him and his wife can't even leave whereas before his wife was just going to stay in while he went to the card. Now he's just probably going to tune in for Charles/Beneil and that's it.

Feel bad for the dude.

rule no 1, don’t ever get married and have kids lol

queue the same answers.
1. no name fighters sometimes produce the best fights!
2. these kinds of cards usually deliver!
3. these guys are actually straight up maulers, you just dont know bro!
4. this is high level MMA and actually a great PPV!

and then the decision suck fest happens, with bad judges decisions. rinse and repeat.

I hate when people try and pretend like MMA is a regular team sport where you "have" to accept some players you don't give a fuck about and then get to be surprised when they do something cool. If Aaron Rodgers passes to someone lesser than his other stars but who was more open and they score a TD, you still got Rodgers.

MMA by contrast is entirely about WHO is fighting. If you don't like it you're well within your rights to say no thanks. Instead, too many people still tune into shit cards full of fighters they know nothing about just cause they're praying something cool happens. It's 2023. You can just watch the highlights or gifs to see the thing that mattered.

Go do something better with your time on a Saturday night. Why people invest their time in fighters they know nothing about I have no idea.

If only there was a way to not pay but watch the fights without having to do so live...

My inbox is empty
I love doing that too . Have been lately with small cards to be honest. I like watching big events live (adds to the magic of a title fight for me) but with fight nights it's nice. Fast forward through the filler and the fights you don't care about !

Also I like WMMA but only the good stuff, I've been doing an experiment where I watch two lower level SW or something and if it looks like no one's going to get a finish I fast forward to the decision . So far I've been right every time haha. I swear with some lower level WMMA fights you can tell in the first couple minutes whether they can finish a high level fight or not .

Serious question why is it considered a bad card? Because theres a lot of no names?
Sometimes, unknown randoms put up better fights than big name fighters.
The card doesn't look that exciting to me apart from the co-main, but you never know, the card might deliver

People like to see relevant fights. They get hyped for cards with big names and fights on them. Naturally, they will feel the opposite about the opposite. Dana hypes cards with big names and you don't get to have it both ways.

And the UFC has a history of making shit cards for Canadian venues outside of Toronto/Montreal.

I hate when people try and pretend like MMA is a regular team sport where you "have" to accept some players you don't give a fuck about and then get to be surprised when they do something cool. If Aaron Rodgers passes to someone lesser than his other stars but who was more open and they score a TD, you still got Rodgers.

MMA by contrast is entirely about WHO is fighting. If you don't like it you're well within your rights to say no thanks. Instead, too many people still tune into shit cards full of fighters they know nothing about just cause they're praying something cool happens. It's 2023. You can just watch the highlights or gifs to see the thing that mattered.

Go do something better with your time on a Saturday night. Why people invest their time in fighters they know nothing about I have no idea.
100% agree with you. The zombies here pretend they are watching the highest level of MMA, when no, they are just regional nobodies, being paid the least, but given this platform. They pretend it's such great movement around the cage, and such amazing high level pitter patter, and you are less than for not agreeing and thinking the same, when it is clearly, visibly, bullshit. UFC has been full of decision suck fests this year, with plenty of bad judges decisions, nearly every card now. Queue also the defenders saying:
1. Another one of these threads? Bah'gosh!
2. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it!
3. Can't believe there's another thread about it! (On an online forum, while they unknowingly/knowingly are contributing)

100% agree with you. The zombies here pretend they are watching the highest level of MMA, when no, they are just regional nobodies, being paid the least, but given this platform. They pretend it's such great movement around the cage, and such amazing high level pitter patter, and you are less than for not agreeing and thinking the same, when it is clearly, visibly, bullshit. UFC has been full of decision suck fests this year, with plenty of bad judges decisions, nearly every card now. Queue also the defenders saying:
1. Another one of these threads? Bah'gosh!
2. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it!
3. Can't believe there's another thread about it! (On an online forum, while they unknowingly/knowingly are contributing)

I skip cards all the time nowadays and have no idea who half the top 15 are of most divisions. And you know what? I still manage to hear about the fighters I should start caring about and tuning in for. I don't need to watch X Nobody's first full 4 UFC fights against other Y Nobodies just because he's exciting. Hype for fighters is still real in 2023. Especially if you're interested enough in MMA to be on Sherdog. You'll know when and who to tune in for and it's actually worth your while.

Feel bad for the people who apparently have nothing better to do than watch a card of people you know nothing about. Like, why do you even care to tune in? What is the actual appeal to make this commitment? That something could happen? That's just as likely as nothing happening. Go out and actually do something yourself and then be pleasantly surprised if something did happen.

I did that for Glover/Jiri. Thought Jiri would steamroll him so went out with friends cause it's a Saturday night and that was a better use of my time. Saw the next day it was FOTY so watched it then. Best of both worlds.

One of the worst PPV cards ever. Most of the fight night cards are better than this one. Not even worth tuning in for free if not for the Oliveira/ Dariush match.

I skip cards all the time nowadays and have no idea who half the top 15 are of most divisions. And you know what? I still manage to hear about the fighters I should start caring about and tuning in for. I don't need to watch X Nobody's first full 4 UFC fights against other Y Nobodies just because he's exciting. Hype for fighters is still real in 2023. Especially if you're interested enough in MMA to be on Sherdog. You'll know when and who to tune in for and it's actually worth your while.

Feel bad for the people who apparently have nothing better to do than watch a card of people you know nothing about. Like, why do you even care to tune in? What is the actual appeal to make this commitment? That something could happen? That's just as likely as nothing happening. Go out and actually do something yourself and then be pleasantly surprised if something did happen.

I did that for Glover/Jiri. Thought Jiri would steamroll him so went out with friends cause it's a Saturday night and that was a better use of my time. Saw the next day it was FOTY so watched it then. Best of both worlds.
agreed 1000%.

Back