News UFC Mouthguards can now track heart rates

I noticed that stat at one point during that fight. A stat no one needs.
I prefer this over the crap PFL does. Odd that my resting heart rate is better than Omalleys. 58 isn't that great for an athlete.

The fans and viewers will be the last to recieve such information

yeah that is kinda creepy tbh

Eh, not sure I agree with that.

Athletes in real sports are measured and tracked in every facet to the nth degree.

All data has some use in terms of performance improvement. As long as the fighters have full access to all of their biometric data, I don't see any issues with it.

You sign up for this shit at high school these days if you're competitive at a high enough level.

If we get to see all the fighters “energy bars”

Wouldn’t you head-hunt the guys that gas the most?

wonderful

now we can finally know who is more shook during the in cage staredowns.

image.gif.6621b40e21ad69858db1f3d1b9b76674.gif

I think this is a great idea and it will provide a lot of interesting information that we have previously did not have access to. I hope in the future the UFC shorts will be able to check for suspicious anal stretching, as we have not previously had access to that information either.

This is ingenious.

As someone who regularly exercises and plays close attention to both my resting and active heart rates, I've always wondered "Exactly how high is their heartrate in the middle of a fight?"

The long-term usage of this will provide very interesting stats.

*Average heartrate when the fight begins. (How high does it get due to the hype of the moment?)

*Average heartrate at the end of a round, in comparison to the beginning of the next. (Heartrate recovery?)

*Average heartrate at the beginning of Round 2, 3, 4, & 5.

*Fighter with the lowest heartrate at the beginning of a fight.
*Fighter with the highest heartrate at the end of a 5 fight fight.

*What's the average heartrate of a fighter on top/bottom in the guard?

And it will be VERY interesting in seeing the heartrate of a fighter that finished a blitz, or of a fighter that got rocked.

Agree this is very fucking cool. But since RHR, max HR, anaerobic threshold, etc. varies across athletes, you need to know their individual metrics to properly interpret the data. It's still going to be very cool seeing who recovers faster between rounds, has a higher HR during scrambles, etc., but it's kind of like comparing reach in a vacuum. In general the fighter with longer reach has an advantage in striking but that doesn't always play out depending how their styles match up.

Last edited:
I would imagine this is more for fighter safety than stats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
immensebyword89
Back