UFC Legend Tim Sylvia to Retire

ALAN PARTRIDGE

NO LONGER REGISTERED
@Steel
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted, I scanned the first 2 pages, plus I'm from UK
maybe was talked about as I was asleep

Head trauma forces ex-UFC heavyweight champ Tim Sylvia to retire

7939810910_545ced9c6a_z.jpg

Some of you young bucks may not be old enough to remember what Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) was like when Tim Sylvia was king of the heavyweight castle, but there was a point from 2005-06 when "The Maine-iac" won six straight, including two over then-fanboy darling Andrei Arlovski.

Sigh ... good times.

In fact, his bout against Randy Couture is what prompted me to spout off at the mouth for the very first time right here on MMAmania.com, as I predicted a swift and certain death for "The Natural" roughly eight years ago prior to the UFC 68 pay-per-view (PPV) main event.

Hence, Nostradumbass was born.

Sylvia would go on to lose the Couture fight, part of a dreadful 1-4 run which included an embarrassing knockout loss to pudgy pugilist Ray Mercer in 2009 (video). He was able to rebound on the regional circuit with a 7-1 stretch, but things took a turn for the worse in 2012 and "The Maine-iac" dropped three straight.

And that's how it ends, as Sylvia called it quits over the weekend after an MRI booted him from a scheduled contest at Mohegan Sun (more on that here).

Manager Monte Cox talks to ESPN:

"There were some things on the MRI that weren't on another MRI we had on file from 2003, meaning something happened over the course of the last 11 years. A neurologist said it could be something or it could be nothing. He can go back and get another MRI in a year, but basically what they're saying is there's damage from blunt force trauma. He's got damage there. Does it affect his everyday life? Not so far. Not that he can tell -- but it's certainly something to pay attention to."

Weighing 371 pounds is something to pay attention to, as well.

Sylvia recently campaigned for one last shot at UFC superstardom, but was given the cold shoulder by UFC President Dana White, who blocked "The Maine-iac" on Twitter after fans bombed him with #Rally4Timmy tweets. Hopefully this retirement sticks and he doesn't turn up in Japan next year looking for a payday.

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/1/6/75...x-ufc-heavyweight-champ-tim-sylvia-retire-mma

he was a good dude who got way to much hate! Good luck Timmy!

Smart to hang em up before he gets totally punch drunk.

I wonder when the lawsuits for health problems will start... It makes me anxious.

I actually liked Tim Sylvia when I first got in to MMA and couldn't understand why he got so much hate.

His attitude of late was a bit irksome though, I understand he really wanted to get back into the UFC but didn't show any dedication (weight-wise) or skill to show he would have been a valuable asset

Smart to hang em up before he gets totally punch drunk.

Or his heart taps out.
He weighted 371 pounds and was told not to compete, recently.

He did well and I hope he takes better care of himself. Especially when he will slow down in training.

Tim Sylvia's #1 fan here.

Good luck to the champ in his future endeavors.

How taste my peepee?

Actually, too bad for him. Always under-regarded.

awesome when sherdog posters are allowed to write articles,exactly like the posts here lol,some real good journalism there

awesome when sherdog posters are allowed to write articles,exactly like the posts here lol,some real good journalism there

I linked the article at the bottom

and I used a different photo....

Sue me.

I linked the article at the bottom

and I used a different photo....

Sue me.

im referring to the article itself. it sounds like something a sherdogger would post,but its actually an article on a website. Its horribly written and disrespectful.

im referring to the article itself. it sounds like something a sherdogger would post,but its actually an article on a website. Its horribly written and disrespectful.

There really is no real MMA journalism, as far as I know.
There are a couple of guys that give pretty good breakdowns on striking and certain areas.

Otherwise it is just parroting and trying to break not so great news.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back