News UFC Implementing "Fan-Voted" Bonuses

Damn I don't remember that at all, that's hilarious

415b58f0-0a73-4093-9619-04c4aeaa8a2e_text.gif

01_aJH.gif

LOL, casuals ARE NOT the reason why or the ones watching the 50 cards. The literal opposite. But sure, great (non)point.

So are they the majority or not? Because now you're talking out both sides of your mouth. Either the casuals are the majority of the audience and will flood the fan voting OR they are not the majority of the audience and can't be responsible for the enormous growth of the sport.

It can't be both.

I can't remember the last time the UFC made a decision that benefited the fighters financially that was not stupid.

As per ESPN:

The UFC will be debuting new "fan-voted" bonuses at UFC 273. Reportedly, fans will be asked to vote for their "favorite fighter", and the top three fighters will receive bonuses paid in Bitcoin.

The winner of the fan vote will receive a $30,000 bonus paid in Bitcoin

second place will receive a $20,000 bonus paid in Bitcoin

and third place will receive a $10,000 bonus paid in Bitcoin

These bonuses will only be handed out at numbered events (UFC 273, UFC 274 etc)

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/33689220/ufc-implement-fan-voted-bonuses-paid-bitcoin

Now UFC fighters will be forced to humiliate themselves by begging "fans" to vote for them in their post fight interviews. Instead of fighters thanking their training partners and coaches in post-fight interviews they now have to tell fans to go to Crypto.com and vote for them so they can take their kid to the dentist.

Shameful.

So in other words coping PFL LOL...UFC shook.confirmed

At least they can spend the Bitcoin bonuses on guns and PEDs from Empire Market

Maybe it'd help things out a bit if Crypto.com limits the pool of nominees to 5 or 6 fighters who obviously deserve to be considered for the bonus.

It'll always go to popular fighters that don't need it. I don't remember when but they let fans vote for Fight of the Night once and it went to the worst fight just because the most popular guy was in it.

So are they the majority or not? Because now you're talking out both sides of your mouth. Either the casuals are the majority of the audience and will flood the fan voting OR they are not the majority of the audience and can't be responsible for the enormous growth of the sport.

It can't be both.

LOL, nice non-sequitur. The crazy number of fight cards are not being watched by the casuals (or even a fraction of UFC's total fans). No mystery there. The bigger, singular events with "casual star power", like Conman, draw TONS of casuals. Now, bear with me here. . . who do you think is going to win all the votes for "most popular" on a fight card? The more skilled fighter, or the one more casual fans are familiar with? IIRC the popularity contests will only be on the numbered events, because like I've been saying, those more often attract the casuals. It's OK if you support the popularity contest, I'm just saying it's a lame addition and waters things down even more for a lot of fans.

Also to answer your irrelevant and stupid question: For a numbered card headlined by Conman there are going to be more casuals tuning in (i.e., they'll be the majority for sure) than a fight night card that the casuals will pass on/never even hear about, so they won't be majority there. So it CAN be both ways if you actually think about it intelligently/at all.

This is next level dumb fuckery, holy shit.

It'll always go to popular fighters that don't need it. I don't remember when but they let fans vote for Fight of the Night once and it went to the worst fight just because the most popular guy was in it.

As it should. That's what they're voting on, who's their favorite fighter.... Not who deserves it, not who had the best finish or performance.

Maybe it'd help things out a bit if Crypto.com limits the pool of nominees to 5 or 6 fighters who obviously deserve to be considered for the bonus.

Why would they limit the pool? One's favorite fighter is one's favorite fighter. How can they possibly tell us who deserves such a subjective view point?

I wonder if they'll do the awme as normal bonuses and ban weight missers

Knowing MMA fans, 70% made their decision on their vote before the show starts.

LOL, nice non-sequitur. The crazy number of fight cards are not being watched by the casuals (or even a fraction of UFC's total fans). No mystery there. The bigger, singular events with "casual star power", like Conman, draw TONS of casuals. Now, bear with me here. . . who do you think is going to win all the votes for "most popular" on a fight card? The more skilled fighter, or the one more casual fans are familiar with? IIRC the popularity contests will only be on the numbered events, because like I've been saying, those more often attract the casuals. It's OK if you support the popularity contest, I'm just saying it's a lame addition and waters things down even more for a lot of fans.

Also to answer your irrelevant and stupid question: For a numbered card headlined by Conman there are going to be more casuals tuning in (i.e., they'll be the majority for sure) than a fight night card that the casuals will pass on/never even hear about, so they won't be majority there. So it CAN be both ways if you actually think about it intelligently/at all.

Yeah, that's not how this works. The UFC isn't holding 30 events a year for the 20% of their overall audience that would be defined as hardcore. I'll conceed that when they do a live card overseas and it plays at 3 in the afternoon that's pretty close to JUST hardcore fans.

But they can put up nearly a million average viewers and pull a top 5 overall rating for a "UFC Vegas" card on basic cable. Prelims for a PPV can pull the #1 saturday night spot on cable. ESPN+ hit 17.1 million subscribers with UFC as it's exlusive flagship product. So when you pretend like only casuals are watching non-conor events and it's only the most hardcore fans... I still genuinly can't imagine why you would think that.

UFC 42 sold like 35,000 payperviews. That was the sport supported only by hardcore fans. Today they can saturate the market with product and still put up half a million PPVs with a pretty pedestrian card. Because the audience is much bigger. Because of casual viewership.

You genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. You pretty clearly don't know about or remember how the early days of the sport went, or understand the enormous growth it's seen.

Looking down our noses at casual fans and telling them they're wrong for likeing what they like or not enjoying the sport correctly is about as condescending and douchey as I can imagine a content snob being, but trying to deny how rating work is... idk what it is. It's a teir of gatekeeping you have to be delusional to fight for. But you do you. Have a great weekend. I'm done reading your nonsense.

I'm all for the popular fighters getting money based off fan interest if that means the UFC will stop giving those fighters favorable booking on top of it. Supplement the popular fighters with crypto hush money so they can book the best at the top of the card

Yeah, that's not how this works. The UFC isn't holding 30 events a year for the 20% of their overall audience that would be defined as hardcore. I'll conceed that when they do a live card overseas and it plays at 3 in the afternoon that's pretty close to JUST hardcore fans.

But they can put up nearly a million average viewers and pull a top 5 overall rating for a "UFC Vegas" card on basic cable. Prelims for a PPV can pull the #1 saturday night spot on cable. ESPN+ hit 17.1 million subscribers with UFC as it's exlusive flagship product. So when you pretend like only casuals are watching non-conor events and it's only the most hardcore fans... I still genuinly can't imagine why you would think that.

UFC 42 sold like 35,000 payperviews. That was the sport supported only by hardcore fans. Today they can saturate the market with product and still put up half a million PPVs with a pretty pedestrian card. Because the audience is much bigger. Because of casual viewership.

You genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. You pretty clearly don't know about or remember how the early days of the sport went, or understand the enormous growth it's seen.

Looking down our noses at casual fans and telling them they're wrong for likeing what they like or not enjoying the sport correctly is about as condescending and douchey as I can imagine a content snob being, but trying to deny how rating work is... idk what it is. It's a teir of gatekeeping you have to be delusional to fight for. But you do you. Have a great weekend. I'm done reading your nonsense.

" 30 events a year for the 20% of their overall audience that would be defined as hardcore."
goal-post-moving.gif

Yeah, because I said any of that. Have a good weekend yourself, and pretend you know so much more than others about MMA. Whatever keeps you happy.

Back