News UFC Implementing "Fan-Voted" Bonuses

Bishes best get in line fer dat Buttered Bread!

This is when The Dawg takes this shit over!

FD6ZzTO.gif

So wait fighters are getting paid more but people are mad about this???

This seems like a small step in the right direction

If this earns good publicity. It’s possible that it could cox the company to give out more bonuses like this

This should be something we get behind
This isn't the UFC handing out more bonus money. Its a promotion for one of their advertisers, Crypto.com to drive some traffic to their website.

Just a different way to incentivize fighters to go for the finish and be exciting. Unfortunately this will backfire and it will end up just being a popularity contest.
UFC is probably also trying to incentivize these guys to be more engaging with fans and what not. A lot of these fighters don't even really want to be on social media that often but the UFC basically forces them too

Last edited:
This is a cool idea in theory and I'm glad more fighters will be getting paid, but I don't think it'll work that well in practice.
Many people don't watch prelims so those guys will get left out, fans will pick their favorites, some guys will get KO's over lesser competition and be awarded the bonus over the other guys who had to work for a KO over a higher level opponent.

That being said, the UFC already hands out bonuses to the wrong fights often enough IMO.
Maybe if they only allow people to vote for 2 fights on the prelims and 2 fights on the main card? I don't think that's the best solution, it's just an idea I thought about.

Aldo too.
I'm hoping he gets on the UFC 275 card with Whittaker, perhaps against someone like TJ, Cruz or Merab.
That'll be card of the year for me.
Hopefully Cruz, a very winnable fight for Aldo. Merab and TJ both have more cardio than me as an Aldo fan would like, but really they are all winnable matchups for Aldo.

As per ESPN:

The UFC will be debuting new "fan-voted" bonuses at UFC 273. Reportedly, fans will be asked to vote for their "favorite fighter", and the top three fighters will receive bonuses paid in Bitcoin.

The winner of the fan vote will receive a $30,000 bonus paid in Bitcoin

second place will receive a $20,000 bonus paid in Bitcoin

and third place will receive a $10,000 bonus paid in Bitcoin

These bonuses will only be handed out at numbered events (UFC 273, UFC 274 etc)

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/33689220/ufc-implement-fan-voted-bonuses-paid-bitcoin

Now UFC fighters will be forced to humiliate themselves by begging "fans" to vote for them in their post fight interviews. Instead of fighters thanking their training partners and coaches in post-fight interviews they now have to tell fans to go to Crypto.com and vote for them so they can take their kid to the dentist.

Shameful.

"Now UFC fighters will be forced to humiliate themselves by begging "fans" to vote for them in their post fight interviews. Instead of fighters thanking their training partners and coaches in post-fight interviews they now have to tell fans to go to Crypto.com and vote for them so they can take their kid to the dentist."

My concerns exactly. The "literally anything is good as long as it generate's profit" crowd will do mental gymnastics to defend this I'm sure, but I just see this as further watering-down of the sport. Fighters should be rewarded for their performances, not their number of followers. Alternately, the number of followers should be proportional to the quality of the fighter (as a fighter and person) . . . but it's clearly not.

The UFC is making fighters humiliate themselves by begging fans to vote for them as if they are on a reality television show instead of the company just paying fighters a bonus for a finish.

This is shameful.

I feel like you took a bunch of leaps here. No is making anyone do anything. No one has to beg. There is nothing humiliating about this.

And that last part is false dichotomy. Fan bonuses and paying finish bonus are two separate things completely unrelated to each other.

I think you're seeing red and attacking this without any meaningful discernment. This is a good thing.

I'm not sure it's a bad idea to incentivize guys to be popular with fans. Guys who want a performance bonus for how they fight can get that. Guys who do shoeys or have a WWE gimmick can get a different bonus. Some guys might get both.

When the "fans" are casuals/McConman fans, real fans could give a shit about their vote. Making a **combat sport** a popularity contest **not based on combat skill** is lame.

This isn't the UFC handing out more bonus money. Its a promotion for one of their advertisers, Crypto.com to drive some traffic to their website.
I understand that and...So what?

People are getting paid more. This is a good thing

If this does bet good publicity for Crypto it may influence other sponsors to pay bonuses out directly to fighters. Imagine if on cards there are additional 50k bonuses handed out by Monster or Geico to the fighters. We should get behind this.

I hope that fans use this properly and don’t just vote for their favorite fighters

Wasn’t this tried once for FOTN and Dana said “never again” because most just voted GSP’s fight because he was their favorite despite not even having close to the best fight? Fans cant be trusted to be unbiased.

Back