Media UFC Free Fight: Volkov vs Overeem

From listening to interviews of him and his coach in french media, they are planning to come with that kind of gameplan and are predicting a rough scrap. His sparring choices say it all: Tomas Mozny, 6'7" glory kickboxer, and Murad Aliev, 6'7", boxer of the french Tokyo olympic team. He is coming to to stand and bang.

A ground oriented gameplan is a bad idea against Volkov, Gane's overall ground game is not that good.

You seem to speak French, in which case I am sure you know that Ganes head coach shouts out instructions throughout his fights which he follows word for word.

The gameplan appears to be whatever Fernand decides is the gameplan in the moment, which is not a bad thing.

Volkov is going to want to fight from kickboxing range and Fernand is going to want to make Volkov as uncomfortable as possible; so they are probably going to take the fight into the pocket where Gane can use some of those spinning elbows which are his best option to put Volkov out cold.

I am not familiar enough with Volkovs ground game too say who is better, but Gane likely has a way to get the fight to the ground without shooting a double or single. Don't be surprised if Gane works a trip and instantly goes for a heel hook before Volkov realizes what Gane is doing; on a long limbed guy like Volkov it only takes a few seconds.

Swolekov is so much more dangerous than Volkov from 2 years ago. Kinda like skinny LHW Overeem compared to peak Ubereem.

That said, Gane is an incredibly fast and technical fighter. I'm super exciting for this fight. I think both Gane and Swolkov have a great chance against Ngnannou.

Volkov is going to want to fight from kickboxing range and Fernand is going to want to make Volkov as uncomfortable as possible; so they are probably going to take the fight into the pocket where Gane can use some of those spinning elbows which are his best option to put Volkov out cold.
Yeah, I see it like that, getting close and use boxing and elbows. They strongly hinted at that and it makes sense.

I am not familiar enough with Volkovs ground game too say who is better, but Gane likely has a way to get the fight to the ground without shooting a double or single. Don't be surprised if Gane works a trip and instantly goes for a heel hook before Volkov realizes what Gane is doing; on a long limbed guy like Volkov it only takes a few seconds.
Agree with that too. I don't think he can control Volkov on the ground and GnP him, but a leg submission...possible.

Well, looks like I was on point with that breakdown.
Gane is an opportunistic wrestler/grappler, he uses it at the right time on the right opponents but he is not really great at it. Volkov gave problems to Werdum and Blaydes on the ground.

This will be a stand up batlle, and I think Gane path to victory is via rough and aggressive boxing. Volkov has poor head movement, he does not like big fighters closing the distance and throwing punches at him. Gane has a fantastic jab, excellent movement and good defense, if he can stick in boxing range a bit longer and throw some short combos, he will have success.

Back