Media UFC Free Fight: Volkov vs Overeem

fullspar

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Great reminder of what a threat Volkov is, Gane could power through him but Volkov shouldn't be written off at all.
He is Gane's biggest test, and could cause a big upset.
Rememebr when Volkov was beating Black Beast until the last seconds, Volkov is no joke

Looking forward to this weekend!

Yes, Volkov is a great fighter.
That being said, Volkov fought Oldereem not Overeem.
Yeah I thought the same, but he put up a great fight against Black beast, that was 3 years ago though.

Volkov is a top contender, especially now with him putting more mass on and cutting to make 265.
People also often forget that he manhandled Lewis too for the entire fight before getting a brainfart and dropping his guard to be Ko'd in the last few seconds.
If Gane can't take him down, he'll get lit up.

Volkov is a top contender, especially now with him putting more mass on and cutting to make 265.
People also often forget that he manhandled Lewis too for the entire fight before getting a brainfart and dropping his guard to be Ko'd in the last few seconds.
If Gane can't take him down, he'll get lit up.
I think Gane will surprise a lot of people when he strikes with Volkov. Same kind of talk lead up to his fight with Rozenstruik and it turned out that Cyril had better striking than Jair by a wide margin

Thanks TS i remember this being bloody. Will watch later.

I think Gane will surprise a lot of people when he strikes with Volkov. Same kind of talk lead up to his fight with Rozenstruik and it turned out that Cyril had better striking than Jair by a wide margin
Cyril won't have the height/reach advantage to sitck and move on the outside like he did with Jair, Jair is a standard technical brawler who if fought smartly can be picked a part from the outside with ease (Volkov would finish Jair imo), Volkov is a Precision sniper striker, he uses his range well and hits very hard, I don't see anyone outstriking Volkov in the HW division, Francis could get a 1st round ko, but after the 1st round its domination from Volkov. Volkov would finish Jair imo. Volkov's issue is being put on his back (quite easily at times), If Gane can get him there, this would be his best path to victory.

Volkov's issue is being put on his back (quite easily at times), If Gane can get him there, this would be his best path to victory.
Gane is an opportunistic wrestler/grappler, he uses it at the right time on the right opponents but he is not really great at it. Volkov gave problems to Werdum and Blaydes on the ground.

This will be a stand up batlle, and I think Gane path to victory is via rough and aggressive boxing. Volkov has poor head movement, he does not like big fighters closing the distance and throwing punches at him. Gane has a fantastic jab, excellent movement and good defense, if he can stick in boxing range a bit longer and throw some short combos, he will have success.

I wasn't impressed with both of their perormances in the Jair fight.
Volkov has the reach and height advantage and he uses his reach well with straight Karate strikes. Gane's best way to victory will be to exploit Volkov's lack of wrestling and ground control. He could win standing with aggressive, brawling like strikes (mostly hooks like Izzy used vs Bobby) but he didn't show the urgency for such a strategy in his last fight.

cyanogen said:
He could win standing with aggressive, brawling like strikes (mostly hooks like Izzy used vs Bobby) but he didn't show the urgency for such a strategy in his last fight.
From listening to interviews of him and his coach in french media, they are planning to come with that kind of gameplan and are predicting a rough scrap. His sparring choices say it all: Tomas Mozny, 6'7" glory kickboxer, and Murad Aliev, 6'7", boxer of the french Tokyo olympic team. He is coming to to stand and bang.

A ground oriented gameplan is a bad idea against Volkov, Gane's overall ground game is not that good.

1624453487-screenshot-20210623-150347-chrome.jpg

1624453493-screenshot-20210623-150417-chrome.jpg

Gane by striking clinic. Sherdog is not ready for the Gane take over.

My only beef with Volkov's performance is he head-hunted waaay too much. The way Reem uses his high guard leaves his body completely vulnerable. Straight rights & legt hooks to the body next time please.

My only beef with Volkov's performance is he head-hunted waaay too much. The way Reem uses his high guard leaves his body completely vulnerable. Straight rights & legt hooks to the body next time please.
When you're the taller guy, punches to the body tends to leave you exposed. Kicks are a safer way to work the body.

Seemed like it was more of Overeem losing because he’s old and fragile, and less because Volkov is any better than before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back