UFC fighters in grappling matches

tumblr_mo6tsgBp3c1rrz05go1_500.jpg

Can't believe this clown fought at Metamoris hahah
Clown?!
Watch your mouth kid. That's a BJJ wizard you're dissing at.
I mean look how fast he is. His opponent can't do nothing but watch tail-lights.
Correct comparison would be a mongoose vs a turtle.
Slick,sick & smooth in one package.

in 4 years many rule changes can happen. usually you dont see many ground techniques in judo, that's true, but that's how the high level competition in judo is. they limit it to grip fighting until they get a perfect throw or the opponent gets a penalty. that's how the sport is. and yes, Judo isn't the same, but it's still grappling. Judo is already a big sport in the olympics, why add jiu-jitsu too? i don't see any benefit from that except a little more spectators. the jiu-jitsu world championship is big enough to be an olympic style event.

There's already freestyle and Grego-Roman wrestling as well. Judo and jiu jitsu are more different and jiu jitsu is also a pretty exciting sport with the right ruleset. It's also more deserving than stuff like dressage.

rafalcapiaffe.gif

That's an A level athlete right there.

There's already freestyle and Grego-Roman wrestling as well. Judo and jiu jitsu are more different and jiu jitsu is also a pretty exciting sport with the right ruleset. It's also more deserving than stuff like dressage.

rafalcapiaffe.gif

yeah that's a good example but i still think jiu-jitsu is already a really wide spreaded sport and has really big events which come close to an olympic judo tournament such as the bjj worlds. i would have nothing against jiu-jitsu coming into the olympics, the problem (imo) is that it doesn't fit the olympics and the olympic style and as you mentioned it's the ruleset too.

A) MMA guys are generally the decathletes of combat sports.

B) Take this shit to f12

S4yvhyo.gif

{<RR}{<RR}

tumblr_mo6tsgBp3c1rrz05go1_500.jpg

Can't believe this clown fought at Metamoris hahah

When you hear him breakdown this match, you realize he's not all there. And you wonder how this dude made it as far as he has, without any type of intellectual acuity. I can't explain the reason for his celebrity other than he's been riding Brian Callen's coattails.

in 4 years many rule changes can happen. usually you dont see many ground techniques in judo, that's true, but that's how the high level competition in judo is. they limit it to grip fighting until they get a perfect throw or the opponent gets a penalty. that's how the sport is. and yes, Judo isn't the same, but it's still grappling. Judo is already a big sport in the olympics, why add jiu-jitsu too? i don't see any benefit from that except a little more spectators. the jiu-jitsu world championship is big enough to be an olympic style event.

You have freestyle and Greco Roman wrestling. There's figure skating and some other similar event. There's a number of different sprinting and distance running events. What would be the big deal?

When you hear him breakdown this match, you realize he's not all there. And you wonder how this dude made it as far as he has, without any type of intellectual acuity. I can't explain the reason for his celebrity other than he's been riding Brian Callen's coattails.
It is shocking this guy has a successful podcast and he has made it somewhat in an industry with basically no skills or talent or intellect. It's baffling I agree. He's very hard to stomach.

rafalcapiaffe.gif

holy shit, this is an actual sport

olympics are a joke

Miesha Tate vs Shayna Baszler

Sara McMann vs Shayna Baszler

Good find. Shayna was such a bad ass with her grappling back in the day and a true pioneer of wmma. It's a shame she didn't get the recognition she deserved when she was in her prime.

You have freestyle and Greco Roman wrestling. There's figure skating and some other similar event. There's a number of different sprinting and distance running events. What would be the big deal?
you can see my statement few posts above yours

yeah that's a good example but i still think jiu-jitsu is already a really wide spreaded sport and has really big events which come close to an olympic judo tournament such as the bjj worlds. i would have nothing against jiu-jitsu coming into the olympics, the problem (imo) is that it doesn't fit the olympics and the olympic style and as you mentioned it's the ruleset too.

Only reason why I wouldn't want to see jiu jitsu in the Olympics is because they might screw up the sport by rule changes.

holy shit, this is an actual sport

olympics are a joke

Remember when they were going to take wrestling away from the Olympics but keep that?

1418.gif

Judo in the Olympics has been limited to mostly upper body throws for a while now so you don't see newaza or most takedowns in those matches. It seems that they made some rule changes this year and there's been a lot more newaza.
Absolutely. I've been enjoying this year's Judo much more.

It is shocking this guy has a successful podcast and he has made it somewhat in an industry with basically no skills or talent or intellect. It's baffling I agree. He's very hard to stomach.

It quite something. Check out his post match interview from Metamoris. He basically refused to grapple in a grappling match and considered that some type of an accomplishment.

BJJ with IBJJF rules would be a failure in the Olympics. You can adjust the rules to make it work. Any BJJ fan should want their sport in the olympics and in the mainstream, even if it's only every 4 years. There's really no reason not to have it. BJJ is reaching every corner of the world at this point.

Clown?!
Watch your mouth kid. That's a BJJ wizard you're dissing at.
I mean look how fast he is. His opponent can't do nothing but watch tail-lights.
Correct comparison would be a mongoose vs a turtle.
Slick,sick & smooth in one package.

100% my man

BJJ with IBJJF rules would be a failure in the Olympics. You can adjust the rules to make it work. Any BJJ fan should want their sport in the olympics and in the mainstream, even if it's only every 4 years. There's really no reason not to have it. BJJ is reaching every corner of the world at this point.
seems i have to explain my opinion again.. bjj is a big sport itself. the worlds are the biggest tournament for it, it is on olympic level when it comes to the fame. and yes, the rules are the biggest problem. and i dont think the rules will fit the spectators. judo has come a long way in the olympics, many rule changes and changes in general. for a sport like jiu-jitsu to be perfect in the olympics it would take the same way, that's why i think it doesn't fit in the olympics. jiu-jitsu is bigger than judo without the olympics.

seems i have to explain my opinion again.. bjj is a big sport itself. the worlds are the biggest tournament for it, it is on olympic level when it comes to the fame. and yes, the rules are the biggest problem. and i dont think the rules will fit the spectators. judo has come a long way in the olympics, many rule changes and changes in general. for a sport like jiu-jitsu to be perfect in the olympics it would take the same way, that's why i think it doesn't fit in the olympics. jiu-jitsu is bigger than judo without the olympics.

Your reasoning is not consistent with what already happens in the olympics. Wimbledon is bigger than Olympic tennis, yet tennis is an Olympic sport. Same thing with golf, cycling and a bunch of other sports that have big tournaments outside of the olympics.

Weidman worked Galvao here. The point system lost him the match though.

This is a good point -- not to mention the 74 different swimming medals that are awarded...

I feel as though there are a lot of pros and cons to jiu jitsu being an Olympic sport though. First off, why call it "jiu jitsu"? Wouldn't "submission grappling" be a more accurate term considering that a lot of the top grapplers don't train jiu jitsu? This is just semantics though and not very significant...

Another problem would be the rules. Personally, I find EBI rules to be the best, but in an Olympic event, I would imagine the format would have to sport some lame point system which would get controversial and political real fast. Submission grappling has going for it though in that it is that very popular internationally throughout all regions of the world.

Some of the events that make it in the Olympics make me sad. I'd love to see submission grappling in there.

Back