UFC fighters in grappling matches

BJJ with IBJJF rules would be a failure in the Olympics. You can adjust the rules to make it work. Any BJJ fan should want their sport in the olympics and in the mainstream, even if it's only every 4 years. There's really no reason not to have it. BJJ is reaching every corner of the world at this point.
Taught in gym class in Abu Dhabi.

This is a good point -- not to mention the 74 different swimming medals that are awarded...

I feel as though there are a lot of pros and cons to jiu jitsu being an Olympic sport though. First off, why call it "jiu jitsu"? Wouldn't "submission grappling" be a more accurate term considering that a lot of the top grapplers don't train jiu jitsu? This is just semantics though and not very significant...

Another problem would be the rules. Personally, I find EBI rules to be the best, but in an Olympic event, I would imagine the format would have to sport some lame point system which would get controversial and political real fast. Submission grappling has going for it though in that it is that very popular internationally throughout all regions of the world.

Some of the events that make it in the Olympics make me sad. I'd love to see submission grappling in there.

I like the idea of calling it submission grappling. Get rid of the GI and it would seem less like Judo.

Your reasoning is not consistent with what already happens in the olympics. Wimbledon is bigger than Olympic tennis, yet tennis is an Olympic sport. Same thing with golf, cycling and a bunch of other sports that have big tournaments outside of the olympics.
that's why it's my opinion. i have nothing against bjj in the olympic sports, as i said, i don't think it fits the olympics and i highly doubt that it will ever be an olympic sport. if it will be an olympic sport, i'll gladly watch it.

that's why it's my opinion. i have nothing against bjj in the olympic sports, as i said, i don't think it fits the olympics and i highly doubt that it will ever be an olympic sport. if it will be an olympic sport, i'll gladly watch it.

I'm not against you having an opinion.

Back