UFC fighter with the most misleading record?

Yeah... already mentioned but I was going to say

Penn, record might not be great but his competition is always top notch.

Randy doesn't have the best record but, again top competition.

I've gotten into this argument with a buddy of mine. Who was trying to say that boxers champions have so many more fights with records like 50-1. I tried to explain that there is a big difference with MMA records and Boxing records. Losses don't mean as much in MMA, they still mean a lot, but not as much. Additionally, boxers tend to run the small local areas for a long time. Taking a ton of easy fights to inflate their records. If GSP wanted, he could have fought on local events against 1-19 guys over and over. He'd also be 50-1, but it's all about who and the level of that competition.

I think we were arguing about when Weidman got his shot against Anderson with a 9-0 record. I explained that Weidman was fighting and beating top competition at MW. Where in boxing guys will often fight 30 no names to make their records look awesome. The first time they fight top competition they get destroyed.

Possibly also someone like John Hathaway: 17-2 overall, 7-2 in the UFC, but not even close to being on the radar as far as another top-15 opponent goes.
Good choice. I found it weird that he was 7-1 before fighting DHK and I had still barely heard shit about him.

Evan Dunham is 14-5 but he should be 17-2 with wins over Sherk, Grant and RDA. :\

Bibi Jones avatar! :icon_surp

Looking at his record, you wouldn't think Alistair Overeem is one of the best heavyweights in the world.

Love Overeem but I think this speaks more on the lack of depth in the HW division than anything.

Matt Brown's record is not that misleading..... his ground game is practically non existent and that's where the losses come from. Once he fights a top level grappler you will see why he has so many losses. Not to take anything away from him, the guy is tough as shit and props to him for where he has gotten with his hard work.

I've gotten into this argument with a buddy of mine. Who was trying to say that boxers champions have so many more fights with records like 50-1. I tried to explain that there is a big difference with MMA records and Boxing records. Losses don't mean as much in MMA, they still mean a lot, but not as much. Additionally, boxers tend to run the small local areas for a long time. Taking a ton of easy fights to inflate their records. If GSP wanted, he could have fought on local events against 1-19 guys over and over. He'd also be 50-1, but it's all about who and the level of that competition.

I think we were arguing about when Weidman got his shot against Anderson with a 9-0 record. I explained that Weidman was fighting and beating top competition at MW. Where in boxing guys will often fight 30 no names to make their records look awesome. The first time they fight top competition they get destroyed.

Excellent point. Which is why I find vasyl lomanchenko (who is arguably the greatest amateur boxer of all time) move of fighting for a world championship in his second pro fight, a huge gamble and lost. He literally threw millions of dollars away and now has to build his legacy from the ground up.

All I gotta say is Roy Nelson has a alot of losses: Rothwell, Arlovski by Ko, Stipe, Cormier, Mir, Werdum, but has only gotten finished once. He is one of my favorite fighters to watch, until people expose his weaknesses like agility.

You see a lot of fighters with padded records; Roy gets tough fights every time.

For you Machida guys: he lost to Shogun once or twice, Davis, and Jackson. Jackson won Rds one and two, but Machida held the most damage in Rd three. All losses he has earned. Shad make him look big, and Bones made him look small. That's why I'm rooting for him to be MW Champ

Benson Henderson - Imo he clearly lost the second Edgar fight and the Melendez fight which makes his title reign far less impressive (a lot of people think he lost the Thomson fight also but imo Benson edged that fight out)

Fancis Carmont - Imo he lost to both Larkin and Tom Lawlor, It is an absolute joke that the ufc has him ranked in the top 10 MWs

Evan Dunham is 14-5 but he should be 17-2 with wins over Sherk, Grant and RDA. :\

This whole Dunham beating Grant thing is pretty ridiculous especially since that fight was scored as how every sherdogger would like it to be scored. Damage won TJ that fight.

Frank Mir

And yeah I agree about Jones. That DQ shit is uncool for his record

Mark Hunt easily, he was a top 10 HW in Pride and is now again with a record of 9-8-1 but he's fought a lot of great fighters.

Liz Carmouche was 8-2 before fighting Rousey. A total of 0 of those wins came against opponents with positive win-loss records.

Currently, probably Penn. His win-loss ratio isn't very impressive but he fought above his weight class for much of his career.

Of all time I'd say Brock. People (dumb people) still laugh at his 5-3 record as if he wasn't a 1-0 rookie fighting the best fighters the UFC had to offer.

Back