UFC Faces Chaos If Tyron Woodley Ducks Stephen "Wonderboy" Thomspon

Why do you people think the UFC can make a fighter take a fight? They can't, they don't have the power to be the fighter's promoter and the fighter's agent/manager. All fighters have the right to refuse any fight the UFC offers them for any reason.

The UFC could strip Woodley, but that devalues the belt more than Woodley fighting someone other than Wonderboy. The UFC's motto has always been "We make the fights the fans want to see" AKA money fights.
You said it. They can strip the belt, and they should. Woodley wants to fight 2 guys who have been out longer than he was waiting for a title shot. Fuck that.

Wonderboy has clearly established himself as the top contender. Woodley should fight him or be stripped of the title, really that simple. He is not a big name and isn't a draw, just won the belt. Why should this guy be able to pick his fights? It's absurd.

Tyrun has no star power. He's a nobody no one cares about and should face #1 to begin to make his name. At same time if GSP sees a way to come back and make sweet 45-50 leg humping love to a champ he will not be denied. Sad state of affairs in whole UFC IMO. All these fighters are running from #1s. Cruz, Conor, Eddie, Tyrun, Bisping, Nunez.

I blame Conor for starting it all and Dana for enabling.

When has that ever happened?

In any case, this didn't start with Conor, major stars always get the leeway. The only point of contention is whether or woodley is a star, which i don't think he is to be calling for these fights but we'll see

It's really well written but I'm not a huge fan, it's a bit disingenuous. For example, there's no mention that Tyron was offered and took a fight with Hendricks that was considered a number one contenders match that Hendricks pulled out of last minute. If he had won that fight he likely would have ended up facing Robbie Lawler during the same timeframe as he did. It's misleading to frame his layoff in the way you did.

"Tyron Woodley wants to treat the divisional meritocracy with the same contempt he has for the past year and a half." I also think that's misleading. He wants to treat the division in the same way that recent fighters like Conor and Michael Bisping have.

"Georges St-Pierre, a dominant champion in a bygone era, so shaken by his bout with Johny Hendricks that he walked away from the sport and the belt in 2013 and hasn’t been seen since. Three men who haven’t earned anything close to a title fight in recent times" Really? You don't think the UFC was going to give GSP a titleshot when/if he returned? I agree that Wonderboy deserves it MORE, but why on earth would anyone think the UFC forces the WW kingpin Georges to take a tuneup fight first?

"The UFC’s next move doesn’t just affect the welterweight division, but rather each division in the UFC and all of its fighters. It will signify their intentions going forward." I disagree. This isn't a novel situation, this precedent was set before. There's a LONG LONG LONG history in MMA of undeserving titleshots for all sorts of reasons, and there is a LONG history of number one contenders getting screwed out of chances at the belt.

"UFC – the ball is in your court." One of the few things I agree with (outside of the facts). This is the UFC's choice and decision. Tyron has the right to talk and say anything he wants, such is the nature of the sport. The UFC can still ask him to take the Wonderboy fight, but from what we've heard this week from both Thompson and Woodley neither have spoken closely to the brass and neither have heard anything. Ultimately what Tyron has done has drummed up interest for a title defense that likely would have been a ho-hum UFC on Fox or Second fight beneath a BIGGER title fight kind of affair. Now even if he fights Thompson we as fans care a little bit more, even if it's just to see Thompson style all over Tyron.
ok he wants to treat the division like Conor and Bisping have theirs.....do you not see the difference between Conor ((made a semi truck load of money for the company and was up until Nate the king of hyping fights...)) Bisping who has how many fights in the UFC? has always shown up and done his job for the company and has but once chance to avenge a loss against one of the greats of the sport....like you need that pointed out how Tyrone is nowhere near entitled to what Conor or Bisping do?

you want to speak about disingenuous....wtf is it youre saying about George exactly....that Hendricks ran him off from the sport...it couldnt possibly have anything to do with the reasons that George himself ((from all apparent reasoning a pretty honest open person)) gave? or the fact Dana threw him under the bus like he did? no no youre sure that its Hendricks that ran him off lol....cmon

yes the UFC has a long history of "screwing number one contenders and unfair title shots" because at no point in time in their history have they ever said in concrete terms that the standings dictate the fights...literally...never, but lets go with that for a moment....yes they have overlooked contenders for TS and yes theyve given out a few "unfair" TS....but show me where a low draw newly crowned champion has dictated whom they were going to fight in their first defence

ok he wants to treat the division like Conor and Bisping have theirs.....do you not see the difference between Conor ((made a semi truck load of money for the company and was up until Nate the king of hyping fights...)) Bisping who has how many fights in the UFC? has always shown up and done his job for the company and has but once chance to avenge a loss against one of the greats of the sport....like you need that pointed out how Tyrone is nowhere near entitled to what Conor or Bisping do?
If we're going to treat this sport as a sport - then no there's no difference. They all need to be held to the same standard, or else they are ALL entitled (not just champs, fighters in general) to do what they deem is best for their careers. Again, this is all just talk. The UFC is not entitled to listen to Tyron, from what we know they have not yet offered him the Wonderboy fight. And from Wonderboy's own mouth he was never told that the title shot was his. All Tyron is doing really is looking out for his interests, like every fighter has the right to do. The ball is in the UFC's court to decide how they want to proceed with him.

you want to speak about disingenuous....wtf is it youre saying about George exactly....that Hendricks ran him off from the sport...it couldnt possibly have anything to do with the reasons that George himself ((from all apparent reasoning a pretty honest open person)) gave? or the fact Dana threw him under the bus like he did? no no youre sure that its Hendricks that ran him off lol....cmon

Dawg. That's a quote from the article, not from me.

yes the UFC has a long history of "screwing number one contenders and unfair title shots" because at no point in time in their history have they ever said in concrete terms that the standings dictate the fights...literally...never, but lets go with that for a moment....yes they have overlooked contenders for TS and yes theyve given out a few "unfair" TS....but show me where a low draw newly crowned champion has dictated whom they were going to fight in their first defence

....Bisping.
But even besides that, we know that the UFC will almost always make the fight they think sells. If Wonderboy wants the fight, he has every chance to prove to the brass that Tyron vs Wonderboy is a bigger seller than Tyron vs GSP or Diaz.

If I wanted to go off site, I would google MMA.

More creative than most shitty MMA writers but I don't agree with all points. Also "and has the belt been defended so proportionately regularly" is a bit awkward.

I liked the article but i think its on the ufc to choose not the fighter.

Plain and simple. He saw what Thompson did to MacDonald. He knows what MacDonald did to him. He's scared to death of Stephen Thompson.

18 months ago nobody cared about Wonder boy.
And? Time moves on. He's demolished ppl last 18 months now we care a bit more. He no star yet but neither is Tyrun. How you get to be star is proving it over and over fighting best. Unless you just have a big fat mouth like conor lol.

Good morning all.

I've just finished writing a little piece on the Welterweight title picture, specifically Tyron Woodley's desire to go after anyone not named Stephen Thompson. I hope it's okay that I share it on here. I'd really appreciate any feedback on it and if anyone would be kind enough to give it a read.

Link: http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/08/05/ufc-faces-chaos-tyron-woodley-ducks-stephen-thompson/

Thanks a million, guys.

Waiting one or even two more fights for two guys who are currently not that well known the cream of the division is not going to plunge anything into chaos. I wouldn't even call it "ducking." What it will do is allow hype to build, especially if they win their next "tune up" fights, and sell a lot more PPVs.

kaos_logoblue.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, it has definitely been taken on board. I am conscious that "plugs" are not looked at with too much favour, but ultimately it is an opinion like every other post on here so I hope it was within the forum rules. :)

Back