UFC Faces Chaos If Tyron Woodley Ducks Stephen "Wonderboy" Thomspon

jonJpatrick

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Well written article and you make some very good points. You're right and the UFC needs to start making fighters take the fight with the number 1 contender like they used to. At the same time I often contradict myself, as I would have wanted to see Nick vs Robbie if Robbie won the fight.

I can't blame Woodley for trying what he is though, he's going for big money. I genuinely feel that the way the fighters have been treated (Reebok deal, signing over their rights for the game and unwarranted cuts) have led us to this point where they are thinking about themselves.

Also, the current gen looking at some other retired fighters who did what they were told and fought what they were told, only to end up broke or struggling doesn't help.

6a015436eb4a84970c01b8d0d4434f970c-pi

FUn fact about the word "Welter" it actually means "Chaos".

So it's the chaos-weight.

Chaos?

Clickbait shameless plugs will bring Anarchy to Sherdog.

More at 11

There will also be a story on common everyday forum thread titles that may actually be deadly.

Why do you people think the UFC can make a fighter take a fight? They can't, they don't have the power to be the fighter's promoter and the fighter's agent/manager. All fighters have the right to refuse any fight the UFC offers them for any reason.

The UFC could strip Woodley, but that devalues the belt more than Woodley fighting someone other than Wonderboy. The UFC's motto has always been "We make the fights the fans want to see" AKA money fights.

Tyrun has no star power. He's a nobody no one cares about and should face #1 to begin to make his name. At same time if GSP sees a way to come back and make sweet 45-50 leg humping love to a champ he will not be denied. Sad state of affairs in whole UFC IMO. All these fighters are running from #1s. Cruz, Conor, Eddie, Tyrun, Bisping, Nunez.

I blame Conor for starting it all and Dana for enabling.

About half way through the article and I'm loving it TS.

Well done.

Nicely written article. Some very valid points that have many fans concerned.

A little melodramatic, but a good article nonetheless.

You should do one for Bisping vs Hendo 2

It's really well written but I'm not a huge fan, it's a bit disingenuous. For example, there's no mention that Tyron was offered and took a fight with Hendricks that was considered a number one contenders match that Hendricks pulled out of last minute. If he had won that fight he likely would have ended up facing Robbie Lawler during the same timeframe as he did. It's misleading to frame his layoff in the way you did.

"Tyron Woodley wants to treat the divisional meritocracy with the same contempt he has for the past year and a half." I also think that's misleading. He wants to treat the division in the same way that recent fighters like Conor and Michael Bisping have.

"Georges St-Pierre, a dominant champion in a bygone era, so shaken by his bout with Johny Hendricks that he walked away from the sport and the belt in 2013 and hasn’t been seen since. Three men who haven’t earned anything close to a title fight in recent times" Really? You don't think the UFC was going to give GSP a titleshot when/if he returned? I agree that Wonderboy deserves it MORE, but why on earth would anyone think the UFC forces the WW kingpin Georges to take a tuneup fight first?

"The UFC’s next move doesn’t just affect the welterweight division, but rather each division in the UFC and all of its fighters. It will signify their intentions going forward." I disagree. This isn't a novel situation, this precedent was set before. There's a LONG LONG LONG history in MMA of undeserving titleshots for all sorts of reasons, and there is a LONG history of number one contenders getting screwed out of chances at the belt.

"UFC – the ball is in your court." One of the few things I agree with (outside of the facts). This is the UFC's choice and decision. Tyron has the right to talk and say anything he wants, such is the nature of the sport. The UFC can still ask him to take the Wonderboy fight, but from what we've heard this week from both Thompson and Woodley neither have spoken closely to the brass and neither have heard anything. Ultimately what Tyron has done has drummed up interest for a title defense that likely would have been a ho-hum UFC on Fox or Second fight beneath a BIGGER title fight kind of affair. Now even if he fights Thompson we as fans care a little bit more, even if it's just to see Thompson style all over Tyron.

Good morning all.

I've just finished writing a little piece on the Welterweight title picture, specifically Tyron Woodley's desire to go after anyone not named Stephen Thompson. I hope it's okay that I share it on here. I'd really appreciate any feedback on it and if anyone would be kind enough to give it a read.

Link: http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/08/05/ufc-faces-chaos-tyron-woodley-ducks-stephen-thompson/

Thanks a million, guys.
TLDR: someone needs a refund on that liberal arts degree

They were rare Kid ...Now it every fucking champ being a primadonna. If Dana does not put his foot down sooner than later UFC will be destroyed like boxing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back