UFC champions should get absolutely ZERO say in who they fight

yookfarb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
It's a blatant conflict of interest that will inevitably lead to corruption of the sport.

This inane practice is without a doubt the most significant factor leading to the decline of Boxing.

If you want to pick and choose who you fight, then give up your belt or at the very least, have the decency to choose a catchweight fight and not sacrifice the integrity of the belt.

What UFC champs haven't fought someone in their weight class that deserved a fight?

The days of "I'll fight fight anyone, anytime" seems to be gone... alas.

What UFC champs haven't fought someone in their weight class that deserved a fight?

Tito Ortiz ducked Chuck at first (contract dispute was the excuse.)

very few if any, that's why I love MMA

It seems to becoming more of a disturbing trend these days though, many champions are requesting certain fights and attempting to sideline other contenders and I'm talking about Rousey and Jones obviously.

What if you had the belt and had to fight someone with no regard to letting go submissions when you tap? Who specializes in leg locks? Who has injured many previous opponents?

I think a lot of people just want fighters to have no say in their careers becasue they have no say in their careers.

T hey really don't, apart from sometimes having a choice between two challengers. I don't see any reason to be worried

Champions have opinions.

Ultimately, it's the UFC that decides who fight whom.

What if you had the belt and got to fight someone with no regard to letting go submissions when you tap? Who specializes in leg locks? Who has injured many previous opponents?
It's up to the commissions to determine if a fight is safe to make or not. Fighters aren't supposed to hold those cards.

Chillax...Jones fought like a month ago and is in negotiations. Is normal.

What if you had the belt and got to fight someone with no regard to letting go submissions when you tap? Who specializes in leg locks? Who has injured many precious opponents?

A champion or anyone associated with him is in no sort of position to make that judgement call, that is the responsibility of the athletic commissions and organization. Again, it's conflict of interest.

If he is legitimately concerned for his own well being, then he should give up the belt and if he refused to do that, he should be FORCED to give up the belt.

Again, we are talking champions here. I wouldn't hold it against some fighter with knee issues for refusing to fight Palhares or some tiny HW not wanting to fight Shane Carwin UNLESS they were the UFC champion.

I find it to be okay, within reason. None of the people who've recently been accused of it have gone out of bounds with who they want to face imo. Turning down a top contender for another top contender is okay in my book, as long as everyone gets a go, and they usually do. Until someone is turning down tough contenders for guys who everyone can unanimously agree has no business facing a champ, I'm fine with it.

It's up to the commissions to determine if a fight is safe to make or not. Fighters aren't supposed to hold those cards.

No fight is safe to make, they are fights.

How come palhares keep getting fights then?

Champs are free to have opinions. The UFC decides the fights.

very few if any, that's why I love MMA

It seems to becoming more of a disturbing trend these days though, many champions are requesting certain fights and attempting to sideline other contenders and I'm talking about Rousey and Jones obviously.

Yes, I know you are talking about Jon. Who hasn't he fought? Alex? They fought 8 months ago. It was a close fight. Should they rematch? Sure. Does it have to be after Gus is on a one fight win streak? Not necessarily.

Is Jon scurred? Maybe. However, it is not like he is asking for an easy fight. He is asking for the highest ranked opponent in the top 5 who he hasn't fought yet. A guy that was in line for a title shot at HW and is now ranked #2 by the UFC on the website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Number 1 and number 2 should fight that's the problem.

The ranking mean nothing and people are awarded title shots off bullshit ( Chael poster child )

Chael beats Brian stann and gets a rematch, Gus beat Jimi and gets a rematch offer. That's pretty wack. Are those tune up fights or real number 1 contender deciding matches.

Jones has been champ for a long time now and crushed a lot of people. Of course he is going to have some say just like boxing. Its the fight game. I have no problem with rematches but when the top guys are not fighting each other the path to the belt is certainly easy and that is not competitive.

Fans are too caught up with wanting to see Jones loss just as they wanted to see Anderson lose. It like a disease. There are some good fights out there that must be made since there is no tournament.

Glover, Gus and DC have not fought WTF?

UFC fans bitch that MMA fighters don't make the type of money boxing champs make, but then also bitch when they try and choose their opponents like boxing champs do. So is boxing the model you guys want to use for MMA or not?

Money Mayweather fights who he wants. Why shouldn't Jones?

Back