UFC champions should get absolutely ZERO say in who they fight

It doesn't matter why, how, when, where, etc.

He should get absolutely ZERO say in who he fights and that should only be left up to the UFC, EVEN if he's choosing to take the fight that makes the most sense, it doesn't matter because it's a conflict of interest.

If he is using this as purely business leverage, I don't have a problem with it.

If the UFC caves into the Daniel Cormier fight in negotiations, it'll be disappointing.

Matchmaking should never be something that is up for negotiation.

LOL you are goofy. he is the one fighting its his career of course he has say in what he does?

LOL you are goofy. he is the one fighting its his career of course he has say in what he does?

If he doesn't like the way promotion X works, he can go fight elsewhere. It's quite simple.

the guys saying ill fight anyone,is usually because they want the money and arent the champ. The champion doesnt need to be hungry anymore. let the hungry guys squabble for the honor to face him.

You just want people to get ran over in their career like you do.

Why do you think making a champion having to defend the belt against whoever is chosen is "getting ran over in their career"?

The integrity of the belt means more than the career of any one individual fighter

And a champion has many ways in which they can control the destiny of their career outside of matchmaking

The integrity of the belt means more than the career of any one individual fighter

And a champion has many ways in which they can control the destiny of their career outside of matchmaking

Exactly.
What's the value of your belt if you "handpick" your opponents?
If it's your weight, you fight him. Period.

DC is the #2 LHW and the only top 5 guy Jones has not already beaten. How is the belt losing integrity?

What if you had the belt and had to fight someone with no regard to letting go submissions when you tap? Who specializes in leg locks? Who has injured many previous opponents?

Just man up and mention Polhares by name!

He let go just fine last fight and won a belt...

If any champ ever ducks the contender, strip the belt.

Number 1 and number 2 should fight that's the problem.

The ranking mean nothing and people are awarded title shots off bullshit ( Chael poster child )

Chael beats Brian stann and gets a rematch, Gus beat Jimi and gets a rematch offer. That's pretty wack. Are those tune up fights or real number 1 contender deciding matches.

Jones has been champ for a long time now and crushed a lot of people. Of course he is going to have some say just like boxing. Its the fight game. I have no problem with rematches but when the top guys are not fighting each other the path to the belt is certainly easy and that is not competitive.

Fans are too caught up with wanting to see Jones loss just as they wanted to see Anderson lose. It like a disease. There are some good fights out there that must be made since there is no tournament.

Glover, Gus and DC have not fought WTF?

Chael had to beat Bisping to get his rematch, not Stann. And if Bisping won HE'D have gotten the title shot. Gustafsson beat someone who wasn't tested before and won easily. Now I'm not saying he shouldn't get his rematch, but really this guy's claim to fame is having a close fight with Jon Jones and outside of beating Shogun, who we can all see since then is clearly on a major downslide in his career, hasn't beaten anyone of note.

Jones probably feels that he won decisively and fighting Gustafsson again does nothing to build up his credibility since if he wins again, everyone will just say "Oh I guess Gustafsson really wasn't all that great"

DC is the #2 LHW and the only top 5 guy Jones has not already beaten. How is the belt losing integrity?

I'm pretty sure you know that we are speaking in general terms.
It's not a Jones issue.

I actually think both Gus and DC are worthy opponents. But it shouldn't be Jones choosing which he is going to fight.

It makes sense really, these guys don't make enough money to NOT pick their fights...and even if they did they always want to win so why not pick their opponents?

as the champion if i could make it harder for guys to fight me i would. makes it easier for me to keep my belt if guys have harder roads to fight me. plus these guys are probably talking shit about me so its also for the lols

being the champ has its perks. ;)

Chael had to beat Bisping to get his rematch, not Stann. And if Bisping won HE'D have gotten the title shot. Gustafsson beat someone who wasn't tested before and won easily. Now I'm not saying he shouldn't get his rematch, but really this guy's claim to fame is having a close fight with Jon Jones and outside of beating Shogun, who we can all see since then is clearly on a major downslide in his career, hasn't beaten anyone of note.

Jones probably feels that he won decisively and fighting Gustafsson again does nothing to build up his credibility since if he wins again, everyone will just say "Oh I guess Gustafsson really wasn't all that great"

Jones may think he won, ok. But I seriously doubt he thinks he won decisively.

It makes sense really, these guys don't make enough money to NOT pick their fights...and even if they did they always want to win so why not pick their opponents?

Fans want to see competitive fights, they don't want to see champions handling handpicked opponents.
And if were referring to "normal" fighters, you would have a point. But a champion is surely paid enough to not use that as an argument.

as the champion if i could make it harder for guys to fight me i would. makes it easier for me to keep my belt if guys have harder roads to fight me. plus these guys are probably talking shit about me so its also for the lols

being the champ has its perks. ;)

Oh, I see. And who decides who had the harder road to the title? The champion, also?

Being champion has its perks, but it also carries some obligations, no?

For me, a champion has to take on whoever comes.

:rolleyes:

I'm arguing that the boxing model is asinine and inane. Because Floyd is given the freedom to pick and choose his fights, we will never see the Pacquaio fight and the entire sport suffers as a result.

It's long been a problem in boxing. Guys give up titles rather than face the mandatory challenger.

Oh, I see. And who decides who had the harder road to the title? The champion, also?

Being champion has its perks, but it also carries some obligations, no?

well he is going to fight,he is just going to take some advantages. Also,if he is fighting nothing but top guys,which is what he has been doing,he should expect the same of his opponents. Manuwa and whoever the fuck cornier fought before henderson isnt terribly impressive. He thought so and voiced it.

It doesn't matter why, how, when, where, etc.

He should get absolutely ZERO say in who he fights and that should only be left up to the UFC, EVEN if he's choosing to take the fight that makes the most sense, it doesn't matter because it's a conflict of interest.

If he is using this as purely business leverage, I don't have a problem with it.

If the UFC caves into the Daniel Cormier fight in negotiations, it'll be disappointing.

Matchmaking should never be something that is up for negotiation.

They let GSP face Diaz instead of Hendricks, so don't expect much from them.

Back