UFC champions should get absolutely ZERO say in who they fight

Champions have opinions.

Ultimately, it's the UFC that decides who fight whom.

Bingo!
It's like fans think they are the only ones who actually have opinions on MMA.
I actually prefer to hear what the guys doing the fighting have to say about matches and such, not just bland responses to questions posed to them.
Ultimately the UFC is the matchmaker and will make the fights in their greatest financial interest.

Who hasn't Jon fought?

Why is that a worthwhile question?

If you fight someone once, does it mean you never have to fight them again?

He's trying to use his leverage as a champ to pick and choose his fights. Maybe he's doing it for the most pure and altruistic of reasons, but I doubt it and it doesn't matter because it's a conflict of interest.

You guys need to stop reading fucking twitter quips. Seriously

He's trying to use his leverage as a champ to pick and choose his fights. Maybe he's doing it for the most pure and altruistic of reasons, but I doubt it and it doesn't matter because it's a conflict of interest.

Yes, I know you are talking about Jon. Who hasn't he fought? Alex? They fought 8 months ago. It was a close fight. Should they rematch? Sure. Does it have to be after Gus is on a one fight win streak? Not necessarily.

Is Jon scurred? Maybe. However, it is not like he is asking for an easy fight. He is asking for the highest ranked opponent in the top 5 who he hasn't fought yet. A guy that was in line for a title shot at HW and is now ranked #2 by the UFC on their website.

Also, let me add, this is according to DW which isn't exactly the most credible source.

Lastly, who made any reference regarding Jon should never have to fight Gus again? I haven't heard anyone claim that is Jon's stance and I know I certainly didn't imply that.

Now can you please explain how a champion managing what is best for his career a conflict of interest? His only interest is to secure what is best for himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of people just want fighters to have no say in their careers becasue they have no say in their careers.

Yeah, sure.

I imagine the Miami Heat, for example, saying: "No, we won't play the Spurs in the Finals. We only want the Sacramento Kings".
Or Real Madrid refusing to play Barcelona and only accepting to play Alicante every week.

He is actually trying to use his leverage as champion to get a bigger payday by re-negotiating his contract.
He is using the rematch with Gus as a means to that end.
It is a strategic business move, UFC is using leverage by announcing the match with Gus to create a perception that Jones is ducking.

UFC fans bitch that MMA fighters don't make the type of money boxing champs make, but then also bitch when they try and choose their opponents like boxing champs do. So is boxing the model you guys want to use for MMA or not?

Money Mayweather fights who he wants. Why shouldn't Jones?

:rolleyes:

I'm arguing that the boxing model is asinine and inane. Because Floyd is given the freedom to pick and choose his fights, we will never see the Pacquaio fight and the entire sport suffers as a result.

Jones was asked between Glover or Gus 2.

The current case is Dana saying Jones wants DC. If the UFC in fact makes JJ/DC it may be an issue of champs having too much power. But the UFC is on the record on many cases saying they make the fights not the fighter. Until a fight is made it is hard to say how much say Jones has in picking fights.

He is actually trying to use his leverage as champion to get a bigger payday by re-negotiating his contract.
He is using the rematch with Gus as a means to that end.
It is a strategic business move, UFC is using leverage by announcing the match with Gus to create a perception that Jones is ducking.

Exactly right.

people arent slaves. least of all champions.Then again you will feel the heat from the ufc if you wanna retire with the belt

people arent slaves. least of all champions.Then again you will feel the heat from the ufc if you wanna retire with the belt

I always love when someone refers to guys being paid handsomely as "slaves".

Number 1 and number 2 should fight that's the problem.

The ranking mean nothing and people are awarded title shots off bullshit ( Chael poster child )

Chael beats Brian stann and gets a rematch, Gus beat Jimi and gets a rematch offer. That's pretty wack. Are those tune up fights or real number 1 contender deciding matches.

Jones has been champ for a long time now and crushed a lot of people. Of course he is going to have some say just like boxing. Its the fight game. I have no problem with rematches but when the top guys are not fighting each other the path to the belt is certainly easy and that is not competitive.

Fans are too caught up with wanting to see Jones loss just as they wanted to see Anderson lose. It like a disease. There are some good fights out there that must be made since there is no tournament.

Glover, Gus and DC have not fought WTF?

Chael didn't get the rematch off the Stann fight. He got it off the Bisping fight, which was after the Stann fight

I always love when someone refers to guys being paid handsomely as "slaves".

it doesnt matter what you get paid,you should have the right to refuse a fight. A champion shouldnt have to "obey like circus monkey"

It's a blatant conflict of interest that will inevitably lead to corruption of the sport.

This inane practice is without a doubt the most significant factor leading to the decline of Boxing.

If you want to pick and choose who you fight, then give up your belt or at the very least, have the decency to choose a catchweight fight and not sacrifice the integrity of the belt.

neither of these things is true.

or use the belt as leverage as these champions have done...Frank Shamrock, Baby Jay, Randy Couture, etc etc etc

Yes, I know you are talking about Jon. Who hasn't he fought? Alex. They fought 8 months ago. It was a close fight. Should they rematch? Sure. Does it have to be after Gus is on a one fight win streak? Not necessarily.

Is Jon scurred? Maybe. However, it is not like he is asking for an easy fight. He is asking for the highest ranked opponent in the top 5 who he hasn't fought yet. A guy that was in line for a title shot at HW and is now ranked #2 by the UFC on the website.

Also, let me add, this is according to DW which isn't exactly the most credible source.

Lastly, who made any reference regarding Jon should never have to fight Gus again. I haven't heard anyone claim that is Jon's stance and I know I certainly didn't imply that.

It doesn't matter why, how, when, where, etc.

He should get absolutely ZERO say in who he fights and that should only be left up to the UFC, EVEN if he's choosing to take the fight that makes the most sense, it doesn't matter because it's a conflict of interest.

If he is using this as purely business leverage, I don't have a problem with it.

If the UFC caves into the Daniel Cormier fight in negotiations, it'll be disappointing.

Matchmaking should never be something that is up for negotiation.

it doesnt matter what you get paid,you should have the right to refuse a fight. A champion shouldnt have to "obey like circus monkey"

You don't have to obey like a circus monkey. You don't like it, you can return your UFC belt.
Unless it's someone out of your weight, you should have to take the fight. Otherwise, once you get there, you can be the "champion" forever.

You can have some say in the matter, but no the power to veto an opponent.

Back