Media UFC 266 Countdown - Lawler vs. Diaz II Segment

Thank you for uploading this. As an old-school MMA fan, this rematch is such a treat. To me, this fight is the main event.

Maybe it’s the editing, but Nick seems less spaced out the usual. His comment about not “keeping it gangster” anymore was interesting. He seems like he’s mentally in a better place? Hard to say from a 20 minute video. Either way, I can’t root against the guy. Also, this site is trash. It’s so hard to post anything with it constantly reloading.

The trial weight cut was put out by his manager and this was required to get a fight signed because the UFC didn't think he was stable enough to put something together and have it fall apart publicly.

So it was staged by his manager? I'm not disputing anything you have said, I'm just keen to hear more. You are obviously more attuned to the situation than any of us and have an inside track.

I hope Nick wins and I'm not counting him out. This fight could go either way. But I see no reason to doubt your information.

I think the reasons why some folks here are a bit optimistic are as follows:

- He doesn't seem to be overweight and still has abs. If he was 200 pounds with a beer gut sagging over his jeans like Jon Jones people would be scared.

- He seems to have cleaned up his act in the past two years or so and is back running and training.

I tend to believe the second point, but there is no telling what all that foolishness did to him.

Booze/drug abuse ruined Mike Tyson and Alexis Arguello, but guys like Duran and Ray Leonard were still relevant after years of hard living.

It is anyone's guess what will happen. Fingers crossed.

So it was staged by his manager?

No not staged, that would be the wrong description. Rather, he had been living a party lifestyle for so long, the UFC wasn't going to book without Diaz publicly showing he was getting healthy again.

I think the reasons why some folks here are a bit optimistic are as follows:
- He doesn't seem to be overweight and still has abs. If he was 200 pounds with a beer gut sagging over his jeans like Jon Jones people would be scared.
- He seems to have cleaned up his act in the past two years or so and is back running and training.
I tend to believe the second point, but there is no telling what all that foolishness did to him.
Booze/drug abuse ruined Mike Tyson and Alexis Arguello, but guys like Duran and Ray Leonard were still relevant after years of hard living.
It is anyone's guess what will happen. Fingers crossed.

I don't think he's lean with abs right now, look at his Instagram account the last few weeks and the videos from his seminars with Ceaser earlier this month. The abs pics were months ago when he cut weight for a personal promo.

I think he looks a bit heavy and I don't think he's had a serious, organized fight camp.

Rooting for him of course.

No not staged, that would be the wrong description. Rather, he had been living a party lifestyle for so long, the UFC wasn't going to book without Diaz publicly showing he was getting healthy again.

Got it. Totally reasonable on the UFC's part.

I don't think he's lean with abs right now, look at his Instagram account the last few weeks and the videos from his seminars with Ceaser earlier this month. The abs pics were months ago when he cut weight for a personal promo.

I think he looks a bit heavy and I don't think he's had a serious, organized fight camp.

You have a point there. If he misses weight somehow, the betting lines will swing to Lawler like the Visigoths storming Rome.

(EDIT - well would ya look at that!)

What was the inside story for why he basically dropped everything and went on a five year bender? Was it really Rousey's fault? Assuming you would have heard.

I've struggled with the bottle myself. It's no fun. A few days of binge drinking would have me feeling like shit for a week. I can't fathom doing it all day, every day for five years. Sounds like a kind of hell.

Last edited:
Got it. Totally reasonable on the UFC's part.

You have a point there. If he misses weight somehow, the betting lines will swing to Lawler like the Visigoths storming Rome.

(EDIT - well would ya look at that!)

What was the inside story for why he basically dropped everything and went on a five year bender? Was it really Rousey's fault? Assuming you would have heard.

I've struggled with the bottle myself. It's no fun. A few days of binge drinking would have me feeling like shit for a week. I can't fathom doing it all day, every day for five years. Sounds like a kind of hell.

Nick is an enigma even among his group of friends, a complicated guy but a man of few words. They grew up in a rough town in rough circumstances. He was fighting smokers at 16 and professionally against full grown adults at 17.

So he spent his entire life cage fighting for a living and in the spotlight. I don't think its too surprising he ended up spending a lot of time partying and drinking in his 30's because he skipped over all the more normal progression of that stuff in his formative years.

All respect to Nick for getting his life back on track the past year, its been great news.

Watched it earlier today. He actually seemed so much more together and understandable than anything I've seen of him in a long time.
Just watched episode 4 and he sounded like he was either off the wagon or got clipped in training recently because he was right back to barely being able to speak in sentences

Back