UFC 248 Adesanya vs Romero

I do not understand the Zhang-Joanna line at all. Skillwise, Zhang is levels below Joanna, just pure striking Joanna's diversity, fluidity, volume and overall technique is leagues above Zhang. Zhang is open to leg kicks, has meh boxing and at best she launches into short linear blitzes where she dives in off a inside leg kick and throws a 1-2, that or spams the same spinning kick ineffectively all fight like with Tecia. It's just a bit basic and the kind of thing that Joanna can counter all night with straight shots and teeps, angle off and keep doing for 25 minutes easily.

It seems a lot of people expect her to get an early KO which doesn't really make much sense. Joanna has been 'hurt' very few times and each time it's been by clean and hard punches and the only time she didn't recover immediately was the Rose loss where she had the bad weight cut and looked generally off. Regardless, Zhang isn't a particularly hard puncher and lacks the boxing skill of someone like Rose too. If she's rocking girls standing it's in the clinch and a lot of her TKOs are with GNP, neither are really a reliable ptv against an elite clincher and defensive grappler in Joanna.

As far as I can see Zhang probably needs a relatively early finish or Joanna will time her and pick her apart and win a decision off having way higher volume and the experience of going 25 minutes many times while Zhang at worst has fought a slow paced 15 minutes. And to get that finish Zhang needs to go route that she has rarely gone to and is generally rare in that division. When was the last time we saw a strawweight get KOd by a clean punch? Probably Andrade-Karolina and Joanna beat Andrade up badly for 25 minutes. Not seeing why Joanna is not like -200 at least.

Its back<45> What are your picks ?
Marvelous!
Currently making a six hour road trip back from watching Figgy the piggy so I haven't got my write up yet. So far in order of confidence though I like Zang, Izzy, and OMally (however ya spell it). Would not be surprised if we see a stoppage from Zang.

Adding more to jj as her price improves

on

Li
Winn
Griffin

probably going to play Romero ko

Adding more to jj as her price improves

on

Li
Winn
Griffin

probably going to play Romero ko
Romero by KO will be upset of the year. I love it and will be playing it too.

She's always been obsessed with getting her belt back but couldn't while Rose was champ. Now she has an opportunity to be champ once again with a fresh opponent and is training hard to achieve that goal. What makes you say she isn't mentally there to win this? We're not talking about losers like Karolina here. I've seen other people say similar things and don't understand where it's coming from.

Her fiancé dumped her, she had fake tits implanted which psychologically speaks volumes. Now all I see is her vanity with posing for the cameras. I don't see the fighter anymore. That trauma has taken the fight from her imo. We will soon see....

Her fiancé dumped her, she had fake tits implanted which psychologically speaks volumes. Now all I see is her vanity with posing for the cameras. I don't see the fighter anymore. That trauma has taken the fight from her imo. We will soon see....
She’s already fought since all that vs waterson when we first heard all this talk

“She got tits and broke up with bf, she’s washed as a fighter”

I know basically no one agrees with this but Romero +235 is bonkers. Izzy obviously has a substantial advantage on the feet, but Yoel will have a considerable size and strength advantage. Izzy has shown some very good defensive wrestling and Yoel seems content to just bang, but Yoel is so explosive and closes distance so quickly and i have a hard time seeing Izzy getting out from under him if he gets taken down. Yoel can also shut his lights off if he lands clean. Izzy looked phenomenal against Rob, but part of me wonders whether Rob just had a bad performance and whether he’s lost a step after enduring two 25 minute wars w Yoel (although that reasoning would suggest Yoel might not be the same as well). I favor Izzy slightly but I think it’s the worst matchup in the division for him and +235 is irresistible.

part of me wonders whether Rob just had a bad performance and whether he’s lost a step after enduring two 25 minute wars w Yoel
You make solid points in your whole post. Personally I think Izzy out works him but the is alot of power for the price. I will say Izzy seems to have packed on more muscle recently but Yoel will be the stronger man.
I quoted your part about Yoel vs Whittaker 1 and 2 because there is a chance fighting Whittaker for nearly an hour took something from Romero too, just a though. Now back to the trip 2 more hours to go.

I have 2u on Zhang at a bad price (1.55). JJ is at 2.50, I don’t know if that’s higher or lower than the odds you guys are getting.

I do not understand the Zhang-Joanna line at all. Skillwise, Zhang is levels below Joanna, just pure striking Joanna's diversity, fluidity, volume and overall technique is leagues above Zhang. Zhang is open to leg kicks, has meh boxing and at best she launches into short linear blitzes where she dives in off a inside leg kick and throws a 1-2, that or spams the same spinning kick ineffectively all fight like with Tecia. It's just a bit basic and the kind of thing that Joanna can counter all night with straight shots and teeps, angle off and keep doing for 25 minutes easily.

It seems a lot of people expect her to get an early KO which doesn't really make much sense. Joanna has been 'hurt' very few times and each time it's been by clean and hard punches and the only time she didn't recover immediately was the Rose loss where she had the bad weight cut and looked generally off. Regardless, Zhang isn't a particularly hard puncher and lacks the boxing skill of someone like Rose too. If she's rocking girls standing it's in the clinch and a lot of her TKOs are with GNP, neither are really a reliable ptv against an elite clincher and defensive grappler in Joanna.

As far as I can see Zhang probably needs a relatively early finish or Joanna will time her and pick her apart and win a decision off having way higher volume and the experience of going 25 minutes many times while Zhang at worst has fought a slow paced 15 minutes. And to get that finish Zhang needs to go route that she has rarely gone to and is generally rare in that division. When was the last time we saw a strawweight get KOd by a clean punch? Probably Andrade-Karolina and Joanna beat Andrade up badly for 25 minutes. Not seeing why Joanna is not like -200 at least.

Quoted for later when Zhang TKO’s her and you’ll understand why the line is where it is.

Quoted for later when Zhang TKO’s her and you’ll understand why the line is where it is.
You think a 115 pound girl gets a first round tko 65% of the time? They're girls and they're small that's not as likely imo.

There will be a significant speed advantage in the Izzy/Romero fight. Then you have the low output of Romero.

His only ptv is the ko.

I thought about making a small play on him at +240 but in all honesty at this point in their careers the line is pretty accurate where it is

You think a 115 pound girl gets a first round tko 65% of the time? They're girls and they're small that's not as likely imo.

I think Zhang will finish her, not necessarily in round 1. Zhang is legit. JJ hasn’t been legit in a few years and is older, slower and has more miles than Zhang. JJ will not do will with the pressure Zhang will bring and these supposed cardio issues she has, I’m just not seeing it. I also believe Zhang has been training harder because she wants to be champ until she retires.

JJ already tried to do that and failed.

Last edited:
I think Zhang will finish her, not necessarily in round 1. Zhang is legit. JJ hasn’t been legit in a few years and is older, slower and has more miles than Zhang. JJ will not do will with the pressure Zhang will bring and these supposed cardio issues she has, I’m just not seeing it. I also believe Zhang has been training harder because she wants to be champ until she retires.

JJ already tried to do that and failed.
What makes one “legit”?

getting dropped and almost beaten by Danielle Taylor not even 2 years ago?

What does the conjecture that “zhang is training harder” actually mean? Will she win the fight because she trains harder? Do you think Joanna isn’t training because she has implants?

we have seen jj dominate a pressure fighter in Andrade for 5 rounds. Andrade was supposed to knock her out too.

I guarantee you Zhang isnt training that hard. Getting screened for coronavirus in her way to the states multiple places and having Visa limbo left and right

Back