***UFC 116*** Grappling tidbits to discuss

that was probably my favorite fight, the look Leben got in his eyes when he got off the stool between the 2nd & 3rd round, he put his arms out and the crowd went apeshit, i got goosebumps... i said, "he's gonna win in it in this round, or he's gonna die trying!"

For sure!!!!!!!!!!:cool: That and the look Brock had just before round 2 were he was all smiles after getting the sh!t kicked out of him for 5 minutes and he runs to the center of the Cage to give Carwin a double fist pound......... It was like "hell hollysh!t!!! Finally, i finally know what its like to get manhandled..... and i kinda liked it"

You know how long he must have been waiting for someone to really be able to stand up to him like that.

Good to see people like Leben and Brock who like the fight, when there in fight and it ain't going there way.

I did a spit take when I saw Leben displaying a rather good, agressive, bottom game. Active flow, deep attacks, who knew?

It is so ironic.

getting all those guys saying that BJJ is Judo (newaza etc..) and then watch a Judoka getting caught in armbars and triangle.

People do that inverted triangle from side control on me all the time. It is the most frustrating position to be in because if you defend the kimura/straight armbar, you open yourself up to be triangled further. If you defend the triangle, you open yourself up to the kimura/straight armbar. There's also a wicked neck crank you can do with your legs before you figure four them that is just dirty. This only happens when I roll with people from the advanced class.

He just wanted to avoid an embarrassing apology at the after fight press conference.

Great post.

116 was one of the coolest cards, especially from a ground fighter perspective, in recent memory.

Lytle's sub was my favorite.

Straight armbars FTW

It is so ironic.

getting all those guys saying that BJJ is Judo (newaza etc..) and then watch a Judoka getting caught in armbars and triangle.

I bet you 10/1 that more BJJ BB's have been subbed in MMA than Judoka.:wink: And i really thought we might, just this once, get away from the style vs. style theme.:icon_sad:

Something about coming back from near death........... and im not talking about his illness, ya dig?

Yeah, I think that first round was a wake-up call for Lesnar and will probably be good for him in the long run. I also liked how both he and Carwin seemed to be enjoying fighting - with the smiling and winking. Sometimes I think the UFC relies too much on hyping its headline fights by making it seem like the fighters hate each other; it draws crowds but can be a little too similar to pro wrestling at times.

I bet you 10/1 that more BJJ BB's have been subbed in MMA than Judoka. And i really thought we might, just this once, get away from the style vs. style theme.

I don't go in much for style vs. style posts either - but do you think that, percentage-wise, more BJJ guys than judoka have been subbed?

Also, my take on Sub of the Night is that Lesnar probably deserved it just because that arm triangle was such a big sub in terms of its timing and the fighters involved, even though some of the other subs that night were more technically impressive. Lytle's 3-in-1 was pretty wicked though.

I bet you 10/1 that more BJJ BB's have been subbed in MMA than Judoka.:wink: And i really thought we might, just this once, get away from the style vs. style theme.:icon_sad:

Ok so can someone explain why Akiyama looked lost once he had to defend the armbars and the triangle?

I suspect that due to Judo rules, they do NOT need to learn to defend them and just wait for the restart.

Anyone trains Judo and clarify the issue.

Last edited:
I don't go in much for style vs. style posts either - but do you think that, percentage-wise, more BJJ guys than judoka have been subbed?

I will not be answer this question due to the fact that the answer will not fold neatly into my previously stated opinion that i displayed as fact.:icon_neut

I am not trying to diverge to style vs style.

I just need to understand how competition rules can affect somebody grappling skills.

To me the most impressive and SOTN should go to Lesnar. One, WHO SAW THAT COMING!? Two, the fact that, instead of staying in full mount and ground and pounding him out, he was smart enough to move to side control for the better position. And three, he survived probably the biggest beatdown of his career!

As Draculino said today "Man Lesnar... that guy with good BJJ... that's scary!"

2). Brock Lesner talks about training the Head and Arm and says it is tailored for him as a wrestler because its basically a head lock But then goes on to credit his BJJ coach for showing and training him in that sub. Is this sub win for Brock a feather in the hate of BJJ or just a big strong guy cranking away? he also gives a shout out to Eric Paulson in regards to his ground game.

+1 for BJJ imo

That should be +1 for CACC Catch Wrestling also

He also had a nice switch when Carwin was trying to pass half guard to side.

I couldn't believe the can opener. Not that he went for it, but that Leben didn't even open his guard to defend it. Just kinda sat there. Like I said he escaped the armbars properly, but I was surprised Leben got him in the position so easily every time.

Akiyama was gassed from punching Leben when Leben was on wobbly legs. Kind of a mini version of what happened to Carwin.

Ok so can someone explain why Akiyama looked lost once he had to defend the armbars and the triangle?

I suspect that due to Judo rules, they do need to learn to defend them and just wait for the restart.

Anyone trains Judo and clarify the issue.

He was totally gassed and didn't even want to fight anymore

I couldn't believe the can opener. Not that he went for it, but that Leben didn't even open his guard to defend it. Just kinda sat there. Like I said he escaped the armbars properly, but I was surprised Leben got him in the position so easily every time.

Leben defended the can opener by punching Akiyama in both ears!!

Back