***UFC 116*** Grappling tidbits to discuss

Ok so can someone explain why Akiyama looked lost once he had to defend the armbars and the triangle?

I suspect that due to Judo rules, they do NOT need to learn to defend them and just wait for the restart.

Anyone trains Judo and clarify the issue.

he defended the armbars very, very well..? I personally don't like that stacking defence much but its very effective in nogi as llong as your base is strong like his was

That should be +1 for CACC Catch Wrestling also

He also had a nice switch when Carwin was trying to pass half guard to side.

Yeah i would have loved to have given CACC a nod there as im a CACC guy, but he did give credit straight to his BJJ coach.

That switch was badass, me and my buddies on MMAPlayground were discussing how in this fight it would be much more beneficial to give up your back and scramble than going to your back (of course we meant Carwin:redface:) but Lesnar did it and pull off a great scramble from bottom to top.:icon_chee

I bet you 10/1 that more BJJ BB's have been subbed in MMA than Judoka.:wink: And i really thought we might, just this once, get away from the style vs. style theme.:icon_sad:

You cannot be serious.

I tend to take your posts with a grain of salt, but wow...

Paulson does everything. He's a grappling Swiss Army Knife. I'd train with him.

ditto. saw a great interview with him the other day, it was about a year or so old, but he's a great character and i would love to get to a seminar with him sometime.

I know he's doing a weekend one in Queens come fall. (I missed his April one day unfortunately) I'm going to do my damndest to clear the calendar that weekend.

Ok so can someone explain why Akiyama looked lost once he had to defend the armbars and the triangle?

I suspect that due to Judo rules, they do NOT need to learn to defend them and just wait for the restart.

Anyone trains Judo and clarify the issue.

He was completely and utterly gassed.

I think you mean CACC and not BJJ for Paulson (although Paulson does also have a BJJ blackbelt, but is considered one of the top CACC Catch Wrestling guys on the planet).

Yeah, it was a joke. Most of what i type in this thread will be attempts at jokes and humor. Its just a feel good fun for Grappling thread.

The standing reply to guys saying "so and so trained with Paulson so he is a CACC guy" is, well "Paulson is a BJJ BB so that makes the guy a BJJ guy".

Fun stuff!!!

I was a big fan of UFC 116 for the same reasons! If I see a card with 5 KO's Im bored! I need me some wicked BJJ....and 116 delivered!

Lytle knowing he has Browns arm trapped and having the balls to leave the mount to get the step over triangle was the TITS!! 110% deserved sub of the night!! Lesnar got paid enough....he probably walked with over 1.5 Mil with all bonuses and endorsements!

I love using rubber guard when training MMA and I love that George is using it sucessfully!

The only thing I wasn't feeling was the slam from Harris! He bores me to tears! I hate straight up wrestlers. BJJ is going to evolve to the point that it nuetralizes wrestling and when it does we wont have to deal with these boring ass wrestlers anymore! Yea the slam was mildly exciting but I really dont need to see anymore of Harris!!

Otherwise great card! Shoutout to Bonnar for his fight as well! It wasnt a ground war but what a great win for him.....MUCH MUCH needed!

Harris is not boring.

At least, i dont think so.

Hes got like 5 straight (T)KOs.

His wrestling game is awesome. He hits like a truck. And hes always slamming the shit out of people. I love watching him fight.

Harris is not boring.

At least, i dont think so.

Hes got like 5 straight (T)KOs.

His wrestling game is awesome. He hits like a truck. And hes always slamming the shit out of people. I love watching him fight.

Opinions are like assholes, we all have em! =)

I also find Guida to be boring as hell, yet everyone thinks he is sooooooo exciting bc he moves alot and has funky hair. I think he wrestles the whole round and explodes with 10 seconds left so the fans cheer and its the last thing the judges see. He had a couple decent fights (the Huerta fight was nice) but Dana White and company hype him up wayyyyyyyyyy too much!

Yea so anyway I tend to get annoyed by wrestlers, thats all. My academy is starting a wrestling class starting on the 15th so maybe I will have a new found respect for it, but as of now it irritates me when a fighter relies too heavily on wrestling.....like Harris.

Last edited:
Back