***UFC 116*** Grappling tidbits to discuss

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Title Fight Productions, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

Alot of fun and intersting things happened during UFC 116 in regards to the grappling world, thought it would be fun (if we can all GET ALONG!!!:icon_chee) to discuss them and hear peoples thougths.

Here is what i will start with.......

1) Big shout out from Chris Leben to the Judo world, says he was tripped and tossed like he had never been before. Thought there was no way a Judo guy could toss him because he didn't have a Gi on and he would just punch them in the face.

+1 Judo

2). Brock Lesner talks about training the Head and Arm and says it is tailored for him as a wrestler because its basically a head lock But then goes on to credit his BJJ coach for showing and training him in that sub. Is this sub win for Brock a feather in the hate of BJJ or just a big strong guy cranking away? he also gives a shout out to Eric Paulson in regards to his ground game.

+1 for BJJ imo

Eddie Bravo getting alot of camera time as he corners the victorious Sotiropoulos in his fight. Sotiropoulos really stymies a solid BJJ BB and wrestler on the ground and does so using some of Eddie's moves (which of course are the Machida's moves). Also shows that Sotiropoulos isn't just a casual player in the 10th planet system imo.

+1 for 10th planet

Were there really two "straight arm" submission victories at UFC 116? Isn't the straight arm just something you threaten with as you transition back and forth between Kimura and Key lock?:redface: Pretty badass!!!!

+1 for Armlocks being legit

Positioning from side control seems to be advancing imo. People using the crucifix and inverted triangle to control there opponents in side control.

+1 for wrestling and BJJ

Chris Lytle's sub defense to the DarceChoke and the fact that he seems to have let Brown into that move to set up an arm bar counter when Brown tired out. :eek: Hot Damn that's gutsy!!!!!!! Brown didn't seem to have the technical amplitude to finish the move and Lytle had unreal sub defense there.

+1 for:eek:

Harris gives us another example of what jumping to standing guard and "hanging" subs can get you............KTFO!!!!!! Dang that was a serious slam and him going to cross face before he did it was wicked!!

+1 for slams

How about Chris Leben showing again how to win a round using a very offensive guard with strikes and elbows to win the round from the bottom.

+1 for attacking guards

And finally, who really deserved SUB OF THE NIGHT in your opinion?

Leben for slapping on that late round fight saving triangle
    Chris Lytle for the 3 in 1 sub (reverse triangle, neck crank, straight arm)
    Brock Lesnar for a suprise and pretty technical head lock (arm triangle:icon_chee)

Feel free to comment on one or more of the above or add in some of your own!

2. bora y

bora y Purple Belt

lytle

3. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

I liked Leben.

4. xMikeyX

xMikeyX Purple Belt

Akiyama should have been able to tap Leben in Rd 1-

Leben's Guard> Akiyama's side control top and Mount. Not very Sexy.

5. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I was very impressed by Leben's closed guard work. Nice stuff. The triangle wasn't closed in the best way (over the foot) but he worked the leg over the shoulder nicely. Akiyama escaped the armbars well but didn't to the best job preventing Leben from attempting them. Akiyama had some sweet takedowns in that fight, but his gas tank killed him.

It was nice to see Lesnar finish the fight via sub rather than attempting gnp. I've always said that submissions are a much more efficient way to finish the fight than going for the TKO. I think if Shane had worked to pass and submit when he had Lesnar dazed, rather than punch his forearms and hands, it might have gone the other way. Also not impressed with Carwin's arm triangle defense.

To straight armlock wins at this level? Crazy stuff! You rarely see that pulled off at this level, let alone twice in a night.

Not much to say about the Pellegrino-Sotiropolous fight. They mostly neutralized each other, except when George got to half guard and landed some nice elbows. Great scramble in the first round after Kurt got dropped.

6. korleone1911

korleone1911 Blue Belt

nice post ts

7. hustles

hustles Green Belt

I really thought Lytle's submission was an awesome finish to a scrappy fight. I loved the inverted triangle from top for control while he secured the arm. I have used the inverted triangle a lot as a control position, never have finished the choke, but the Kimura/Keylock/Straightarm combo is really slick, especially if you are on top like that you have so much leverage to finish.

I was impressed with Brock's finish, however, the best submission should have gone to Lytle... the money would be more valuable to him and his finish was by far the more complex.

Good fight card all around, lots of good ground work and lots of finishes.

8. StranGold**

StranGold** Banned Banned

thought akiyama's ground game was terrible. nice throws but if you can't do anything on the ground it is pointless.
    if akiyama had been going against any good bjj guy he would have been finished in 1st round, did he actually try a can opener?

9. jasond

jasond Purple Belt

As awesome as Lytle's finish was, the transition to it from mount - scarf - reverse triangle was wicked beyond words.

I'm torn for sub of the night. Part of me thinks it should have gone to Lytle for how technical it was from set-up to finish, but I'd really like to give it to Leben for weathering the storm and coming from behind to get the triangle.

10. Steelviper

Steelviper Green Belt

I liked Lytle's better... but it wasn't a gross injustice. Brock's choke was pretty slick, and if you apply a curve to the grade for it being in the HW division then it's off the charts.

11. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I couldn't believe the can opener. Not that he went for it, but that Leben didn't even open his guard to defend it. Just kinda sat there. Like I said he escaped the armbars properly, but I was surprised Leben got him in the position so easily every time.

12. Title Fight Productions

Not to mention he was looking to set that up from start, from half guard top to mount to side he was hunting out and setting up that choke. Gotta give him credit for that also.

13. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

I could not believe Harris did that. Especially when he had the decision in the bag. He could have readily stayed mobile and peppered his opponent till the bell. I don't think he will be able to show his mug in the gym for months after that move.

I have to give it to Lesner. I am not really a fan of how he fights. but that was a super clean, especially considering how beat he was after round 1, setup to finish choke. At first I did not think it was going to work then it just slid in to place.

Chris was pretty with his three-way sub, but looked like he had some trouble getting it all working. Leben just had an all around fun fight to watch.

14. Novice

Novice White Belt

Favorite fight was Lebens. That thing could have went either way as far a decisions go. He throws up a triangle and gets the win in the last round. I think thats the first sub I've seen leben get. Wasn't to hot on him calling out Wandy afterwards though...

Don't forget about Stephen Bonnars fight. I was super happy to see him win again.

+1 for Muay Thai Knees

15. Title Fight Productions

Well lets be clear, he called out Wand after they both get a bunch of money and exposure from being coaches on TUF. He seemed to push that issue alot after the fight. He wants that coaching spot and all the hype ($$$$$$$$$$$$) that comes with it.

16. BSFT

BSFT Brown Belt

that was, by far, the best card of the year.

as far as SOTN goes, write a check to all of those guys, Dana can afford it. Brock for slapping on that move so smoothly (and 100% unexpectedly), Leben for the double punches and triangle to snatch a decisive victory from the hands of the judges, and Lytle for the 3 in 1 clinic (not to mention that we spent last week in class drilling that series and the guy who said "this would never work", yeah, STFU)

hell, even that guy that beat Petruzelli had a straight armlock victory after getting bashed in the face for a round and a half, and he didnt even get an honorable mention...

i was pretty happy to see some other subs besides the usual guillotine or rnc.

17. BSFT

BSFT Brown Belt

that's what i thought he was saying. people at the watch party were too frigging loud, i couldn't hear the post fight comments. i just caught "i want Wanderlei, something something TUF"

18. Title Fight Productions

LOL, same thing where i was.:redface: Pretty funny!

19. BSFT

BSFT Brown Belt

that was probably my favorite fight, the look Leben got in his eyes when he got off the stool between the 2nd & 3rd round, he put his arms out and the crowd went apeshit, i got goosebumps... i said, "he's gonna win in it in this round, or he's gonna die trying!"

20. kinchan

kinchan Guest

man, the Lytle submission was beautiful. if i had any tears left i'd have cried.
    another good card after 115 imo.