Uber driver kills six in Michigan

Good thing his name wasn't Mohammed or else we'd have to demand action.

I read the title: "Uber driving skills kills six in Michigan"

I watch every stranger nowadays with a "yes I'm looking at you" look. It's the only thing you can do, be alert and aware of your surroundings.
You will probably be relieved then to know that crime rates are quite low. You have much less reason to worry now than probably any other time in your life.

Perfect example of when the death penalty should be used....with little delay

Meanwhile thousands of people took Lyft, Uber and taxis without incident. Media is doing the same thing with this that they do with cops and other professions. "Oh no, one of them did something terrible so it must reflect on them all".

It's tragic but I've seen a few media outlets discussing if Uber is really safe blah blah blah.

Wasnt aware that institutionalizing was the only mental health treatment available today. Maybe we can have a lobotomy too while we are only using treatments from the 30s.
Sodacker's Minority Report point sure hopped and skipped over your head.

Tragic. Sad that this happens so often in America. Part of having such an ingrained gun culture, I guess.

I can definitely see the cab drivers exploiting this, as if him being an Uber driver has anything to do with anything.

Any and all kinds of mental illness. Depression, anxiety, especially if these lead to suicide attempts. Everyone equates mentally ill with dangerous lunatic. I know from experience. When I first started having a hard time with depression when I was younger everyone I knew distanced themselves from me. Many jobs have surveys or questionaires designed to weed out the mentally ill ( if they're dumb enough to be honest) Ever feel sad for long periods of time, have thoughts of suicide, etc. (Hm that's none of your fuckin business at all)

You see snide comments on here all the time basically calling the mentally ill weak. So and so committed suicide or attempted suicide? Well I would never react that way, so anyone that does must just be a pussy. No, you're mentally stable so you don't have to deal with the constant mood swings and thoughts of suicide etc. People act like they're superior to the mentally ill, rather than realizing they just got a better dice roll when it comes to genetics + environment.

I don't think that depression, anxiety or suicide necessarily means someone is mentally ill. We are all born different. Some people are introverts. Some are extroverts. Some start out as introverts and become extroverts. Sometimes it's the opposite of that. There's no hard line that states this person is mentally ill vs. this person was just born with traits that make them feel introverted and anxious. When I was a teen I was hardcore depressed, incredibly introverted and had suicidal thoughts running through my head all the time. I didn't like my life. I didn't like how I barely had any friends and had zero girlfriends. I don't feel like I was mentally ill. I just didn't put in the effort to overcome my obstacles. I was always waiting for that friend to take me under their wing or that girl to come up to me and ask me out. That stuff rarely happens. Sometimes you have to get off your ass and do something about it. My life didn't change until I placed myself in those uncomfortable situations and forced myself to just deal with it. Some people are just born outgoing and likable. I had to practice and actually put in work to get there.

Point is that there's really no real solid way of being able to tell if someone is mentally ill if they just have fringe symptoms like you describe. IMO the first line of advice should always be the "get off your ass" advice. If that doesn't work then it's time to delve deeper but you can't just place blame on a chemical imbalance or something like that because a person is quiet and it leads to them not having friends, becoming depressed and eventually feeling suicidal. There's many factors in play here.

wouldn't be surprised if he was on SSRI's(or getting off them) but we'll see.

Back