Uber driver kills six in Michigan

Spent a lot of time in kzoo. Good town good people. Fucking tragedy.

This happens in the US more than any other place in the world, and it's not close. You have to start asking, why is that? How is America different?

also why have they increased exponentially since 2007? just a steadily growing copycat thing?

well i mean, soda raises an interesting point. the guy had no criminal history, and nothing on his background to prevent him from buying a weapon. the only thing that could have possibly stopped a seller from selling is if there was a mental health mark on the background.

so mental health - how do you treat crazy assholes out in the world? you can't force treatment on them, unless they do something really violent and a court has them institutionalized. you could have more voluntary sources - mental health clinics i guess. or phone numbers to call similar to suicide hotlines. but again, it's not a crime to be kind of a crazy asshole. if it was, half the people i know would be in institutions.

only thing i see is culturally we push people towards craziness. a lot of people can't handle feelings of shame, failure, desperation, loneliness, etc. i have no doubt our selfish, ego driven culture of social media and entertainment is making us nuttier. but in terms of having the infrastructure to stop a guy like this from doing what he did - i'm open to any suggestion on how you stop that with mental health treatment that he'd actually get or gun regulations.

or maybe some people are just fuckin cracked and blindside the world one day.
Yeah the problem isn't even that there's no treatment available. the problem is people are complete dicks in our society about mental illness. You see the general attitude encountered in real life all the time on here. If your mentally ill you're just weak, it's not a legitimate problem. If people know they're more interested in avoiding you because everyone with mental illness is a lunatic just waiting to snap. Instead of, you know being concerned or empathetic at all.

Socially people want to know so they can avoid being friends with you or dating you. Employers want to know so they can avoid hiring you. Although scientifically speaking we've learned a LOT more about mental illness in the last few decades, socially speaking people are as clueless as they were a hundred years go.

Yeah the problem isn't even that there's no treatment available. the problem is people are complete dicks in our society about mental illness. You see the general attitude encountered in real life all the time on here. If your mentally ill you're just weak, it's not a legitimate problem. If people know they're more interested in avoiding you because everyone with mental illness is a lunatic just waiting to snap. Instead of, you know being concerned or empathetic at all.

Socially people want to know so they can avoid being friends with you or dating you. Employers want to know so they can avoid hiring you. Although scientifically speaking we've learned a LOT more about mental illness in the last few decades, socially speaking people are as clueless as they were a hundred years go.

What mental illnesses are you specifically talking about here? What mental illness are people in real life and on sherdog complete dicks about?

also why have they increased exponentially since 2007? just a steadily growing copycat thing?

Well, there is ample research out there showing link between poverty and social inequality and mental illness. What happened in 2007? Financial crisis.

Meanwhile both Black and Muslim Americans were praying the culprit not be Black or Muslim or egads Both!.

If it was not Uber, would they have mentioned the Taxi company's name in the headline?

What mental illnesses are you specifically talking about here? What mental illness are people in real life and on sherdog complete dicks about?

Any and all kinds of mental illness. Depression, anxiety, especially if these lead to suicide attempts. Everyone equates mentally ill with dangerous lunatic. I know from experience. When I first started having a hard time with depression when I was younger everyone I knew distanced themselves from me. Many jobs have surveys or questionaires designed to weed out the mentally ill ( if they're dumb enough to be honest) Ever feel sad for long periods of time, have thoughts of suicide, etc. (Hm that's none of your fuckin business at all)

You see snide comments on here all the time basically calling the mentally ill weak. So and so committed suicide or attempted suicide? Well I would never react that way, so anyone that does must just be a pussy. No, you're mentally stable so you don't have to deal with the constant mood swings and thoughts of suicide etc. People act like they're superior to the mentally ill, rather than realizing they just got a better dice roll when it comes to genetics + environment.

I guess we just forcibly institutionalize all quiet and reserved people

Smash his fingers with a hammer, cut off his nuts gouge his eyes out & show it on tv. Maybe that's the kind of example it will take to stop this shit

Any and all kinds of mental illness. Depression, anxiety, especially if these lead to suicide attempts. Everyone equates mentally ill with dangerous lunatic. I know from experience. When I first started having a hard time with depression when I was younger everyone I knew distanced themselves from me. Many jobs have surveys or questionaires designed to weed out the mentally ill ( if they're dumb enough to be honest) Ever feel sad for long periods of time, have thoughts of suicide, etc. (Hm that's none of your fuckin business at all)

You see snide comments on here all the time basically calling the mentally ill weak. So and so committed suicide or attempted suicide? Well I would never react that way, so anyone that does must just be a pussy. No, you're mentally stable so you don't have to deal with the constant mood swings and thoughts of suicide etc. People act like they're superior to the mentally ill, rather than realizing they just got a better dice roll when it comes to genetics + environment.
Well said.

This man had no criminal record, passed a background, and his neighbors had inclination he could do this. Biggest trigger was he seemed quiet and reserved to passengers. Sounds like a perfect person to institutionalize.

I watch every stranger nowadays with a "yes I'm looking at you" look. It's the only thing you can do, be alert and aware of your surroundings.

Sad to hear this news.

Some things like this are hard to prevent.

He has no record and it looks like no treatment for mental problems that would have flagged himm

hi oldshadow,

in a society as free as ours, stuff like this is going to happen. like you said, there were no warning signs...one of his neighbors described him as a "nice guy", another described him as "well mannered and pleasant".

as Bill O'Reilly has said, " We can’t do anything about gun violence. I really can't think of a single thing."

in some cases, he's right.

- IGIT

well i mean, soda raises an interesting point. the guy had no criminal history, and nothing on his background to prevent him from buying a weapon. the only thing that could have possibly stopped a seller from selling is if there was a mental health mark on the background.

so mental health - how do you treat crazy assholes out in the world? you can't force treatment on them, unless they do something really violent and a court has them institutionalized. you could have more voluntary sources - mental health clinics i guess. or phone numbers to call similar to suicide hotlines. but again, it's not a crime to be kind of a crazy asshole. if it was, half the people i know would be in institutions.

only thing i see is culturally we push people towards craziness. a lot of people can't handle feelings of shame, failure, desperation, loneliness, etc. i have no doubt our selfish, ego driven culture of social media and entertainment is making us nuttier. but in terms of having the infrastructure to stop a guy like this from doing what he did - i'm open to any suggestion on how you stop that with mental health treatment that he'd actually get or gun regulations.

or maybe some people are just fuckin cracked and blindside the world one day.
Forcing treatment is usually not necessary. I can go right to the Texas clocktower sniper to show how the mental health system fails.

I talked to a Dr. Cochrum at the University Health Center and asked him to recommend someone I could consult with about some psychiatric disorders I felt I had. I talked with a doctor once for about two hours tried to convey to him my fears that I felt come overwhelming violent impulses. After one session I never saw the doctor again, and since I have been fighting my mental turmoil alone, and seemingly to no avail.

That man received no treatment, even though he was begging for it. We may not be able to prevent every tragedy, but a bare minimum of effort could prevent some of them.

http://alt.cimedia.com/statesman/specialreports/whitman/letter.pdf

Actually, I kind it think so. As more happen and get MORE mainstream media coverage, it's like it's becoming more of an option on the table for someone with a lot of built up rage inside and doesn't know what to do with it.

look for a shift from teenagers to middle aged white men. Middle aged white men (that aren't rich) have the highest rate of suicide growth in recent years. Some will turn this outward.

the gunman took fares inbetween shootings. One rider said after the gunman received a phone call he began to drive erratically. The rider then jumped out and ran.

Wonder what that phone call was about?
wonder if the wife dumped him.

This happens in the US more than any other place in the world, and it's not close. You have to start asking, why is that? How is America different?
How much more does it happen in America compared to the rest of the world?

Back