U.S. poised to forgive $108 billion in student debt.

You guys mention how all these sudents study the arts, humanities, gender studies etc etc which is why they struggle to pay off their debt.

How many really fall into this category as oppose to someone who has studied engineering but hasnt found a job within 4 years so finds themselves out of the loop.

You guys mention how all these sudents study the arts, humanities, gender studies etc etc which is why they struggle to pay off their debt.

How many really fall into this category as oppose to someone who has studied engineering but hasnt found a job within 4 years so finds themselves out of the loop.

Can this person not work a lower end job?

Are people in here really defending banksters?

Fuck the banksters. The money is not real. Make them write it off. We have printed over 20 trillion dollars since 2008 in the US, Europe, and Japan. Wake up people.

The reason they're being charged outrageous numbers is because the Federal Government is footing the bill. If no students could afford to go to college, then colleges would be forced to reduce their fees or else go out of business. The federal government stepping in is what has forced the prices so high

It's more to it than that. There are several countries around that have student loans but free university educations. The loans just being there to provide enough income to live on while studying.

if you get a good degree at a cheap school its a really good deal to take out loans. i pay like 200 dollars a month for a degree where i make 5 times what i would without a degree.

Whats the name of your school what country and city r u in ?

Translation:You want everything way fucking harder than it should be :rolleyes:
since you think this is a good idea, how about all the CC forgive any debt you owe them, and how about the home loans, lets forgive those as well, i mean thaT would PUT SO MUCH MONEY BACK INTO THE ECONOMY BRAH.

Can this person not work a lower end job?

I guess that's problem. they are mad they will never get the top gigs and realise they will firever be stuck paying off some outrageous debt in some lame ass job.

I was asking just how common is the generalistion about people who study humanities.

Look at the people protesting .
Do you think they are paying now

There are some people who honor their debt and work to pay the money they signed up for.

Then other people like the protesters who will never honor any debt .
They will rack up credit cards and never pay them back.

It's more of a culture thing

Government gave too many loans to people who could and would never pay back

Next we will see protest of people just demanding free money

I think if you're someone who played by the rules, used due diligence, tightened your belt and paid off your student loans you should get a voucher good for forgiveness of CC debt, car loan, mortgage, etc.

Right now there is very little reward for doing anything right.

I guess that's problem. they are mad they will never get the top gigs and realise they will firever be stuck paying off some outrageous debt in some lame ass job.

I was asking just how common is the generalistion about people who study humanities.

The funny thing is the stereo type of people with liberal arts degrees working as baristas or other menial low level service jobs but at least they're working in that case.

I do though see a lot of prevalence of people who get those career degrees having an entitlement complex in the job market. You might've heard the sentiment for example that my engineering degree was so hard in school so that's why I should have a good job.

The other part of this is how much of this is a spending issue? If you must eat out all the time and get starbucks daily, have the latest iphone, and take extensive travel vacations annually is the problem actually your debt load? Looking it up it seems like the avg debt load for those graduating from public/non-profits is under $30000. If you live like a low wage worker you should be able to pay that off with a higher college level salary fairly easily.

The funny thing is the stereo type of people with liberal arts degrees working as baristas or other menial low level service jobs but at least they're working in that case.

Eh, we're not all bad. The only way I could have gone more of the stereotyped liberal arts route is if I had gone gender studies. Here I am, 16 years after starting in, still taking courses and working on "useless" degrees, and working construction to pay for it...

I'm of two minds on this whole forgiving student debt thing but if more students didn't treat University like an opportunity to party and travel and instead like a great privilege and educational opportunity that might, just might, require some sacrifice on their part, I probably wouldn't be of two mind on this issue. As it stands, forgiving debt means paying for the bar tab and vacation budget of a lot of students who put that on their credit card for years and are now crying because they owe a lot. While there are all sorts of issues with how much University costs in the U.S., I don't like reinforcing the notion that a student makes *tons* of stupid financial choices and that will just be forgiven.

University is not a right - it's a privilege. Get as many people as it's a good fit for in it, make them appreciate it, and look towards other forms of education for those whom it might not be a great fit for - but I don't like the idea of funding four years of partying for people who don't appreciate it in the slightest. Not that that's what's necessarily happening here but, with what I see every week at university, I realize that a lot of these people demanding a bailout wouldn't need this bailout if they weren't Starbucks guzzling, iPhone using, "I went to Vegas five times this year and skipped classes for most of those trips!" asshats. I guess a big part of my gripe isn't so much with the forgiving of debt but the complete lack of appreciation for what they have that so many of the people who go to university exemplify...

Last edited:
since you think this is a good idea, how about all the CC forgive any debt you owe them, and how about the home loans, lets forgive those as well, i mean thaT would PUT SO MUCH MONEY BACK INTO THE ECONOMY BRAH.

That's what bankruptcy proceedings are for. Which is the disconnect on this issue. CC and home loans can be removed via bankruptcy. Your credit takes a hit but you get to start over with a lifestyle that you can afford. The student loan issue is insane because people in debt can't discharge the debt, like every other debt.

It's not like letting them go bankrupt wouldn't hurt them. They wouldn't be able to buy a house or get a credit card but they could at least try to start over. Now, if some dude racks up thousands of dollars in CC debt because he lacks money management skills, he can walk away from it but a person who got the debt to actually try and better themselves can't. Seems backwards to me.

well i went to UNC-Charlotte's Belk College of Business and just got my bachelors in Fianance.

Cost me over $80,000.

So yea, I'd like a large portion of that back now please or atleast give me a damn tax break or something

Fuck that, I just paid off $30k for my student loans. Let them pay for theirs. Fuck these snowflakes.

#NotMyGeneration

well i went to UNC-Charlotte's Belk College of Business and just got my bachelors in Fianance.

Cost me over $80,000.

So yea, I'd like a large portion of that back now please or atleast give me a damn tax break or something

You already paid, or you want it forgiven?

LoL @ fools not even trying to make a compromise...

They should forgive their student loan debt.

Sure.

Right after they're issued an Honorable Discharge after 4 years of service.

So they really don't learn anything anymore. Generation snowflake will not be able to cope in the real world

Back