• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

U.S. poised to forgive $108 billion in student debt.

Here's the thing, I'm not even disagreeing with you here. I'm directly talking about why people choose to go to certain schools, regardless of the price. I read an article similar in the Washington post btw. But there is a common notion going away to school is a big deal. Millions of students do it every year. And it seems to be instilled even at the high school level. "Your alma mater counts." Parents say it as well. I don't think the high school advisors are pushing the Washington post article or yours from Time.

Now onto your point about CC. I don't think going to a good community school is a bad thing at all. I think that it has its place, plus the savings is always a big benefit. I'm in New Jersey and there is a very good community school here in Bergen county. It's highly rated. BUT if you get accepted by a good out of state school you're gonna take that opportunity.
I figured we agreed but were talking around each other, LOL

I think that is part of the problem, is that kids have it in their head that they need to go to some prestigious college to get a good job. When for 99% of the kids, that is not the case. Also kids should do a better job of thinking things through. I can go to ... and have to take loans for $50,000 that I have to repay, or I can go local, stay with mom and dad and maybe have $15,000.

Yes i know everyone can't stay with mom and dad, but there is a good portion that can and choose not to.

I think it is just stupid for the kid and the parents to let the kid travel 3 states over, run up $50,000 in debt, get a degree in a BS field, and start out life $50,000 in debt?

I really have to question the intelligence of both the parents and the child.

I also wonder how much of this will change with more and more online classes.

How about the government stops backing student loans and makes student debt clearable by bunkruptcy?

How about people just pay off their loans?

What I suggested would actually put downward pressure on education costs. If colleges aren't guaranteed money they just might lower their cost. Right now they have no motivation to lower costs.

Back