Media *** Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Post Fight Discussion MEGATHREAD ***

How does the fight go?

• Total voters
I don't see how it's the best thing for fans. When pride and UFC were both doing well we the fans were denied a lot of matchups, like Fedor vs Randy.

It's better for fans to have everyone in the same org so it's easier to set up fights between top guys

Yeah, this is such a bizarre narrative going around. Nobody sits around wishing UFC fighters were in other orgs so they could fight their few compelling matchups there. Not now or historically since like 2008 when the UFC had 90% of the best fighters post-Pride. Whether it was Eddie in Bellator or Justin in WSOF, when there's a compelling fighter in the B Leagues elsewhere people want them in the UFC so they're with their other good peers.

Scattering guys everywhere just makes it less likely they're fighting quality guys instead of sticking them with their peers.

I don't see how it's the best thing for fans. When pride and UFC were both doing well we the fans were denied a lot of matchups, like Fedor vs Randy.

It's better for fans to have everyone in the same org so it's easier to set up fights between top guys
I agree to a certain extent but feel competition makes everyone work harder to put on better shows

Ol' Chael P rubbing it in <45> Trolling or not, he does have a point at the end there. I don't see any crossover tuber or mma guy, doing jack sh to a wrestler in their realm. No rebuttals to that

I mean GSP, with no formal wrestling background, outwrestled national champions in wrestling frequently (in MMA). Does that mean wrestling is not a real sport?

I mean GSP, with no formal wrestling background, outwrestled national champions in wrestling frequently (in MMA). Does that mean wrestling is not a real sport?
He even outwrestled one of our best Pennsylvanian wrestlers in Josh Koscheck who was a national champ. Let's also not forget that Yoel Romero was outwrestled by Derek Brunson a Division 2 All-American and former competitive cheerleader. You can't even make this shit up.

Obviously an unserious claim. C'mon people it's Chael.

The truth is this can only happen at heavyweight. The best large athletes in the world generally don't get into boxing and boxing fans didn't have an understanding of how much of a genetic freak Ngannou is.

In any other weight class the skill of an elite boxer will outweigh the physical advantages a newcomer might have.

Obviously an unserious claim. C'mon people it's Chael.

The truth is this can only happen at heavyweight. The best large athletes in the world generally don't get into boxing and boxing fans didn't have an understanding of how much of a genetic freak Ngannou is.

In any other weight class the skill of an elite boxer will outweigh the physical advantages a newcomer might have.
I don't think Ngannou is some genetic freak. He's a good athlete though. Heavyweight is definitely a different animal than the lower divisions. We've had journeymen beat world champions there and more than once. It's also happened at the lighter weights but it's more likely to happen with the big boys. Styles make fights.

I can't believe people don't see how scripted this was.

How many other boxing matches does the world heavyweight champion shoot a double leg? Or the challenger throw on a guillotine? When has a world heavyweight champ gone the distance with a dude off the street? Be real ffs. This was all orchestrated to make people talk/spend future money. This was a sparring match where the champ took it easy for dozens of millions of dollars.

Ngannou didn't come off the street to box for the first time. He was already boxing before he learned to fight mma.

It's 2023 and people are still getting mad and reacting to Chael Sonnen comments lmao brilliant

Holy shit. Woke up expecting a brutal loss for Francis but this dude, who has not fought since early 2022, and trained for a couple of months, went punch for punch with Fury and scored the only knockdown in the match.
I seriously don't get the guy. EX-Level athlete or some shit. What makes this is even crazier is that if this was an MMA fight, Francis would have murdered him in the first round but he went over to the other sport and clowned the entire sport of boxing.
He's also basically immortal idk. Ate an elbow (if he had made a fuss about it, could have been a point deduction) but didn't even flinch.

I don't get the idea of the GOAT level.athlete reigning supreme over every sport. Ngannou is incredibly explosive and powerful but he would be too heavy for sprinting and for the long and high jump and not tall enough fot basketball. I believe every sport has a different optimal combination of physical attributes. Ngannou just happens to have the ideal physical gifts to be great at heavyweight striking in mma but perhaps even more importantly he has the mental gifts to be excellent in thta arena as well. His father was apparently a feared streetfightrr and so he likely.inherited not only his physical powers but also rhe sense of timing, tactical ability, ability to stay calm under danger and stress and hand to eye accuracy.

Oh joy. He's gonna fight someone who has no training in MMA under MMA rules...I wonder what the outcome will be?

Sucks for us that he didn't stick with MMA and actually challenge himself.

Why would staying wirh mma challenge ngannou given that he was released as reigning champion after defending it successfully against the top contender with a busted knee? Wouldn't moving to an entirely new combat sport which was always his favourite anyway and where he can have a chance to fight the top boxers and make a lot more money be more challenging?

Why would staying wirh mma challenge ngannou given that he was released as reigning champion after defending it successfully against the top contender with a busted knee? Wouldn't moving to an entirely new combat sport which was always his favourite anyway and where he can have a chance to fight the top boxers and make a lot more money be more challenging?

Not sure if you know this but the belt streak at HW isn't that long. As it's a hard weight class to avoid getting slept at.

As such it would have been fun to see how long he could have held the belt. But. The more important question here is to see if he can out MMA a person who isn't trained at MMA. Or out box professional boxers having never having a professional boxing fight.

Last edited:
Of course that does not tell the whole story, but it's an interesting tool IMO to decipher what happened and it's much more in-depth and unbiased than compubox stats or journalist scoring. With that said, it doesn't give a score at the end which is a bit disappointing!

the stats tell the whole story. the stats below tells you who exactly won each round. a very close fight, but it wasn't a robbery.
397602346_312341514997393_5359824951113171499_n.jpg

the stats tell the whole story.
Main counter argument is a lot of people think that if you score a knockdown and don't get hurt in the fight then you are automatically the winner of the "fight within the fight" - despite it being a boxing match with specific criteria that don't always incentivise the fighters to treat it as a "who can knock the other down the most times" contest.

Main counter argument is a lot of people think that if you score a knockdown and don't get hurt in the fight then you are automatically the winner of the "fight within the fight" - despite it being a boxing match with specific criteria that don't always incentivise the fighters to treat it as a "who can knock the other down the most times" contest.

like a lot of people have already said. fury arguably won the boxing match but ngannou without a doubt won the fight.

That's a good point. But that is in a mma arena. I doubt he do anything to Jordan on a wrestling mat. These mma cats are doing better then they "should" in a boxing ring. Think that was his point. Which is legit

like a lot of people have already said. fury arguably won the boxing match but ngannou without a doubt won the fight.
Yes and like I said attempting to win the “fight” was not necessary or incentivised enough for Fury to go for it given the rules so the “fight” is not what people think it is.

It’s like if someone scored a hole in one then a bunch of bogeys, they win the “hole in one contest” against the guy who beats them with birdies. But it’s not a hole in one contest so it’s basically irrelevant.

Back