Tyron Woodley: 'Don't leave it in the judges hands' is the stupidest comment ever!

I absolutely agree with T-Wood. I said this before. Dana's comments about leaving it in the hands of judges is idiotic. The point is- you should not have to worry when a decision goes to the judges, but these refs are so incompetent, it is absolutely ridiculous. I have no clue how Spencer lost that fight on Saturday.

Feel sick for the guy. I thought he clearly won, just like a majority of MMA fans and media. These BS decisions make MMA look like WWE. These commissions have to be pressured more to get judges who have vast experience watching MMA, rather than guys who are watching MMA the first time in their life (which was the case a couple of times).

Woodley went after fans when the source is Dana. I want him to talk shit to Dana if he's so brave and angry.

With the rampant bias and incompetence that has plagued UFC judging these days I would say the same thing. We all know that you cannot get a finish in every fight. You may even end up with a long string of decisions. That is not the point of the comment in my eyes. If you finish your opponent with a KO/TKO./submission then your victory is basically guaranteed. I think Woodley is reading way too much in to it.

How many times have we seen fighters seemingly make the false assumption that they have the fight in the bag? Instead of going all out they decided to coast the rest of the way and play it safe. How many times has that been a costly error? It's not like fighters themselves don't also sometimes use the expression. Why does Woodley suggest that only non-fighters say it?

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Co...49-Loss-to-Nick-Ring-in-Rearview-Mirror-45201

“I felt I won the fight,” McGee told Sherdog.com. “I felt like I had cage control, was more aggressive, out-struck him and attempted a submission in the third round. I should not have left it in the hands of the judges and finished the fight.”

Last edited:
100% right. T.Wood pretty much nailed every point.

I am with Dana on this one, if you are trying to fight for points, knowing that the judges and the ponctuation system is unreliable, you have yourself to blame.

I apreciate what it takes to go up there and perform on the top level, that doesn't mean you should get a pass on avoiding the fight to win points, and sometimes fail doing so.

I guess he heard that phrase too many times on his career that finally got to him.....

You believe pro fighters don't push to their limits as far as they can? Guess what sometimes the other guy still stands and you get robbed regardless of how hard to tried

And you believe ALL do? Just because a guy calls himself a fighter don't instantly give him the heart to train, push, & grind. It's a simple inspirational mantra don't mean if you say you're gonna beat the sh!t of the other guy. No one expects or is asking "Not to leave it in the hands of the judges" the other guy as a lot to say too.
But if remembering that quote gives you juice use it, if it don't either finish or wait for the judges decision.

Woodley's beef is a non issue and the source of the quote is his boss not the fans.

With the rampant bias and incompetence that has plagued UFC judging these days I would say the same thing. We all know that you cannot get a finish in every fight. You may even end up with a long string of decisions. That is not the point of the comment in my eyes. If you finish your opponent with a KO/TKO./submission then your victory is basically guaranteed. I think Woodley is reading way too much in to it.

How many times have we seen fighters seemingly make the false assumption that they have the fight in the bag? Instead of going all out they decide to coast the rest of the way and play it safe. How many times has that been a costly error? It's not like fighters themselves don't also sometimes use the expression. Why does Woodley suggest that only non-fighters say it?

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Co...49-Loss-to-Nick-Ring-in-Rearview-Mirror-45201

Well said. There are just too many people here that are anti-UFC. All they care about is either Dana or the UFC getting a black eye.

Woodley should STFU and get a real job if he doesn't like being scrutinized for his performance.

That is part of the territory of being a professional athlete. If you can't handle the criticism (warranted or not) go be a truck driver or something.

That's a very good point he makes. Training in the sport allows one to see the technical side of it and enjoy it more imo.

Even if the average Joe doesn't want to do some serious training camp and take a fight, anybody can do BJJ/wrestling and both are really fun, rewarding activities that are important parts of MMA. If everybody did BJJ the ground game in MMA would be much more popular than it is now, because most people don't know what they're seeing.

He ignores the context in which Dana began using the phrase. It was first used in the pre-show fighter meetings to highlight that once the fight goes to the decision, it's out of the fighters hands, it's out of the UFCs hands, and what goes on your record is down to a state employee who requires no qualifications, both formal or experience wise. It's to say "don't come complaining to me if 2 judges went 28-29 when you thought it should be 29-28.

The saying has been hijacked since then and become bastardised. But, at its core, it's logical.

Well said. There are just too many people here that are anti-UFC. All they care about is either Dana or the UFC getting a black eye.

I agree. I wonder how many of them are really boxing fans who are threatened by the competition?

Here Hopkins talked about the value of making the fights that the fans want to see rather than simply sticking stubbornly to subjective rankings. The UFC is often criticized for doing precisely that.

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/104144.html

I'd get my ass kicked in five seconds in MMA - Hopkins

Hopkins also feels that boxing and MMA can run side-by-side, although he admits the newer sport has stolen a section of boxing's fanbase. "They put 17,000 to 20,000 in there for every show," Hopkins said of the UFC. "That's nothing to sneeze at. How can you knock it? You'd be a fool to try.

"Some of [MMA's popularity] has taken away from boxing, but boxing is a diehard. It's survived everything. It's going to continue to survive. But let's face it, MMA has taken a lot of younger fans. They're wearing those Tapout shirts. You see them everywhere.

"It's like wrestling, but legit. It's the real deal. You're getting punched in the mouth and kicked in the head for real. It's not like guys are biting into a capsule with fake blood in it."
[YT]KxUttABOHSo[/YT]

Last edited:
I mean, he has a point, but are we going to pretend like some fighters aren't actually trying to point fight? lol.

And so what? Are fighters not allowed to implement gameplans just because it doesn't correlate with your perceived outlook on how all fights should be?

There's a reality that "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" is based on- judges tend fuck up sometimes. This past UFC Fight Night card in Boston proves that. And until such fuck ups are eradicated, Woodley sounds like an annoyed whiner. He's not dealing with the reality, he's just venting because he is annoyed. There is nothing wrong with the idea of going the extra mile to be sure.

Tyrone...there are fans who will understand but there lies a vast populace of "just bleeds" that will be blind to understand. But you should also address your colleagues (fighters) that whatever decision the judges make (sometimes stupid) you just revoked your right to complain...

He ignores the context in which Dana began using the phrase. It was first used in the pre-show fighter meetings to highlight that once the fight goes to the decision, it's out of the fighters hands, it's out of the UFCs hands, and what goes on your record is down to a state employee who requires no qualifications, both formal or experience wise. It's to say "don't come complaining to me if 2 judges went 28-29 when you thought it should be 29-28.

The saying has been hijacked since then and become bastardised. But, at its core, it's logical.

None? Orly?:icon_chee

Sorry Woodley but you're wrong. There are fighters that come into that final round thinking they're ahead on the scorecards and they stall as much as they can just to run out the clock.

Then there's guys that are even worse. The ones that know they're BEHIND on the scorecards, and they still go out and play it safe. I mean if you're behind on the cards then that means you should be taking crazy risks, go for the hail mary pass, etc.

So there are times when that statement "never leave it in the hands of the judges" is completely appropriate.

There are other fighters who give 100% for all 3 rounds and that's fine. Most reasonable fans don't criticize them for not finishing their opponent. It's only the ones who stall that irk us.

I think Sean Spencer would disagree with that.

Woodley doesn't even understand the meaning behind that phrase. Certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Woodley doesn't even understand the meaning behind that phrase. Certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Maybe not the sharpest but he's certainly not an idiot. If you've heard him talk, you'd know he's an intelligent guy. He also has a degree on agricultural economics. Econ is not an easy subject.

Back