Tyron Woodley: 'Don't leave it in the judges hands' is the stupidest comment ever!

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Fighter123, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Fighter123

Fighter123 Brown Belt

Tyron Woodley wants fight fans to stop saying "don't leave it in the judges hands." This phrase -- and the accompanying mindset -- makes him angry. And he vented his anger on Twitter recently with the following statement:

"People! Quit saying 'don't leave it in the judges hands!' That's the stupidest comment ever. Your sound bites are delusional. No fighter thinks 'Hey I'm going to leave it in the judges' hand'. No fighter wants to get finished.

"The higher you go in competition the closer the match up is!

"Quit being a recorder and repeating everything you hear Joe or Dana say. Be an individual and fan.

"Know you have no clue the mental capacity it takes to compete on this level. The sacrifice, diet, training, sparring, luck, favor, being at the top during you peak, and being fortunate to not have substantial injuries during 3-4 training camps per year. Not to include family, finance, life struggles, and uncontrollable variables.

"We UFC fighters appreciate your passion, but you are passionate to a fault. Living through these Saturday fight nights, taking stabs and shots at people you don't know from a stranger on the street. Life is larger than the Octagon.

"Sunday you are done talking about the fight. Monday you go back to work. We go back to work in the gym. To fulfill these ridiculous expectations you blood thirsty fans want to see. Risking our health, time with family and the leisure activity you get to enjoy on the weekend.

"I challenge all non-fighters to do an 8-week camp and take 1 amateur fight to appreciate what we do more deeply and become a more conditional fan."

Your thoughts?

2. schwe30

schwe30 Black Belt

Agree 100%.

It's just a way for Dana to make it seem like he actually cares about it.

3. Codpiece

Codpiece Not afraid to care

Finally, T-Wood and I agree on something.

Still don't like his mum though.

4. DrDangles

DrDangles Purple Belt

Agree.

Notice how Hendricks, "the power finisher" has the gone the distance 4 straight fights.
    Jon Jones has gone the distance in his last 3 fights, and 4 straight fights against 205ers

5. muaythaibeast

muaythaibeast Brown Belt

Not a woodley fan, but hes right

6. Se4n

Se4n Blue Belt

He's right. Another example of Dana's ignorance and disrespect for the sport and the fighters.

7. lilwayne209**

lilwayne209** Orange Belt

8. GrindingANARCHY

GrindingANARCHY Banned Banned

Kelvin Gastelum will now defeat Woodley in a close fight where he tells Rogan post fight, "I shouldn't leave it in the hands of the judges."

9. BAZ Rutten

BAZ Rutten Black Belt

I agree with him 100%.

10. Shammon

Shammon Brown Belt

I mean, he has a point, but are we going to pretend like some fighters aren't actually trying to point fight? lol.

11. trane

trane Red Belt

I don't take it literally, to me it means go after it and try to secure the win. Yes the judges suck but people need to take chances and make sure they did everything to secure the W.

If you want to sit back and point fight, have a sparring session and do the bare minimum, you are leaving it to chance.

12. Negative Zero

Negative Zero Purple Belt

Yeah, I don't ever say "don't leave it in the judges hands". I find it's best to leave things in McGregor's hands.

13. trblesome1

trblesome1 Silver Belt

I have thought this every time I hear Dana say it

Dana should get in there and try to finish these guys, its not fuckin easy

14. beephin

beephin Black Belt

HAHA Dana's favorite line.

Well said Woodley.
    [​IMG]

15. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

Wait, a wrestler is irritated by the "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" slogan?

16. Gigaton Punch

Gigaton Punch Gold Belt

It's a ridiculous statement cause it just brushes off the very real problem that exists with the judging in this sport (and boxing)

A wrestler who has 3 first round knock outs in 4 UFC wins.

17. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Black Belt

Agree 100%. I like Woodley.

18. MIKE BOWLING

MIKE BOWLING Purple Belt

I'll do an eight week camp for 50k to show

19. GTS

GTS Red Belt

This exactly.

And this...

20. GroundGameFan

GroundGameFan Brown Belt

Fair enough. I never say that line but I get what he is saying. Finishing guys at the top level is certainly a difficult task. On the other hand, we clearly see on every fight card people coasting when they are up two rounds to none. We also see the fighter losing those two rounds coming out flat as shit in round three not even trying to win, just trying to survive. I get the self preservation part of it, but that only goes so far. Woodley himself fought like that against Rory. I recall him saying don't leave it to the judges after one of his recent fights as well, have to go look it up to remember which fight that was.

Normally I agree with how honest he is about his career and fighting in general. But at the end of the day fans and fighters alike are allowed to have any kind of opinion they want about a fighter and can speak out on it whenever they please. Also, I had eye surgery so I can't even fight MMA so its kinda lame to call out people that don't fight without knowing anything about their lives and circumstances. He wants us to understand about other shit he has going on but then turns around and makes a comment like that. Doesn't make much sense to me. The guy is living his dream, working for him means following his passion every single day and getting paid for it. MMA is my biggest passion in life but circumstances I had no control over prevent me from being able to get in the cage. Tyron should be more grateful that he has the ability to live out his dream. Oh well, just my two cents.