Tylenol = 'Roids?

Hmmm...Acetaminophen....not good for the liver.

Also, toxic when recommended dosages exceeded.

My first thought is I don't know many 60-78 year olds who weight train, so I imagine the soreness involved in starting a new routine would be pretty bad. Taking ibuprofen or Acetaminophen would help compensate for that and allow them to continue training at a higher level, ergo, receive better results. Ultimately, if I am understanding this all correctly, it doesn't conclude that ibuprofen or Acetaminophen neccessarily promote muscle growth or recovery, it may only improve your ability to train through pain.

My first thought is I don't know many 60-78 year olds who weight train, so I imagine the soreness involved in starting a new routine would be pretty bad. Taking ibuprofen or Acetaminophen would help compensate for that and allow them to continue training at a higher level, ergo, receive better results. Ultimately, if I am understanding this all correctly, it doesn't conclude that ibuprofen or Acetaminophen neccessarily promote muscle growth or recovery, it may only improve your ability to train through pain.

This is what I was thinking after reading the study.

Agreed. The first question that popped into my head was how a strong a correlation between a study geared at hypertophy of nonagenarians and younger athletes can be made. Could just be that higher dosages are necessary for athletes.

Either way, what really caught me attention is this line:

Over three months, says Dr. Trappe, the chronic consumption of ibuprofen or acetaminophen during resistance training appears to have induced intramuscular changes that enhance the ****bolic response to resistance exercise, allowing the body to add substantially more new protein to muscle.

The abstract makes it seem like the researchers believe something wholly apart from increased training intensity is ocurring. It's enough to keep my eyes open at this point, but not enough to warrant me taking drugs daily for a possible effect.

Ive tried it a few times and for me i could lift WAYYY more. This was way back when then I stopped..i was recovering from a surgery. I was also way more sore the next day..walked like a shit myself for around a week so I decided it was pointless to be able to push that hard..

Ive tried it a few times and for me i could lift WAYYY more. This was way back when then I stopped..i was recovering from a surgery. I was also way more sore the next day..walked like a shit myself for around a week so I decided it was pointless to be able to push that hard..

no offense but i dont believe you. Why would you stop if it was so highly effective? If i could push myself to a new level off of something as harmless as tylenol i would definitely continue.

But anyways... seems interesting ill be sure to read it in depth soon

PS: I fucking hate when people say no offense and then go ahead and say something offensive... it really defeats the purpose of the statement
(ex. no offense but you are a raging homosexual)

Yeah, this is my take on the situation. The age of the participants makes me question the whole thing. It was a good read though, something to consider and I don't think taking some Ibu is a bad thing to try, I don't see any harm in giving it a go and seeing what happens.

Ibuprofen (Advil) has analgesic (pain reliever), antipyretic (ant-fever) and anti-inflammatory properties because it inhibits both COX-1 and COX-2 prostaglandin pathways.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is an analgesic and antipyretic, but is NOT an anti-inflammatory (since it acts by inhibiting COX-3 and activating descending inhibitory pain pathways in the spinal cord).

Without knowing much about the study in the article, it seems that the benefits of using these NSAIDs comes from the analgesic (pain reliever) qualities of the drugs, not from the anti-inflammatory qualities (since acetaminophen is not an anti-inflammatory, though it still seemed to be as beneficial as ibuprofen--again, not many details given about the study). I haven't heard of any properties of NSAIDs that would cause an enchanced ****bolic response to resistance exercise...but that doesn't mean it's not possible, just that it hasn't been well documented I suppose.

The study seems very interesting, but personally I wouldn't go popping ibuprofen or acetaminophen everyday until there is concrete evidence supporting its benefits.

Back