turning your back on an opponent after missing a kick

FionMacCumhail

White Belt
Reaction score
can somebody explain this one to me?

People do this all the time to me when sparring. As soon as they do that, I just step in closer and when they're facing me again I bop them in the nose.

Am I missing something?

They just followed with their kicks too much, that's all. If you are able to take advantage of it, good for you.

This happens a lot in MT.

Guys train and kick in the air and purposely spin around and raise their other leg in a check motion during the spin.

If the kick is extremely powerful (like swinging for the rooftops) then yes that's likely going to happen. But you shouldn't do it "on purpose".

If the kick is between 50 and 80% (which most are) its more wise to simply go about 135* rotation from the origin. This way you kick through but don't overly expose yourself.

Tell them to finish with a spinning backfist, back elbow, or heel kick :) Then you won't be able to boop them in the nose.

Nearly everyone I know does this, and I don't see too many guys who have time to jump in and counter before they're back around.

I see this happen a lot in fights. Ken Shamrock does it all the time (or used to).

I always wonder why the other guy doesn't rush in.

Nearly everyone I know does this, and I don't see too many guys who have time to jump in and counter before they're back around.

I agree. I'm slow as shit and no one ever, ever takes my back after a spinning kick.

The only reason you should miss with a MT kick where you spin around is because the other person stepped back out of the way too fast. If that's the case, you will spin all the way around faster than they can stop and come back forward. They might take a potshot kick, so you raise a shield block or something.

It's possible they could snap their leg or head back instead of checking it or stepping back, but that's just a part of fighting. People will try to counter.

I think it is harder to counter someone who spins through than someone who stops themselves mid motion. If they stop themselves, I usually have time to take a full step and then throw a full side kick. If they spin through after I jump back, nothing changes.

At an mma gym you'll find lots of people who kick but don't go over all the does and donuts. Let's be realistic, there is a crap load to learn.

some of the worst things i see, are people doing this on purpose

some of the worst things i see, are people doing this on purpose

Not necessarily. Some do this on purpose because they are well prepared to get back into a stable stance and teep with their front leg. My stomach can attest to this.

I have never seen a Thai spin completely around after a missed kick.

^ Precisely.

Which is what I find so weird about western Muay Thai, I see that 360 spin all the time, and it annoys the hell out of me.

I recall reading on here that Thais only do the spin during shadow boxing . Is this true?

if your gonna do the spin you shouldnt stay in place you should spin out to an angle

Thais sometimes spinn during shadowboxing. But its not a full spinn.. its like 90 or 180 degrees.

I would like to see a video of someone throwing the kick full speed in shadow boxing and then stopping themselves gracefully. I'm not sure what it is suppose to look like. I've seen people miss in the UFC with the kick, but the way they stop themselves is so dreadful and slow its worse than turning around. I was always taught to spin if I miss. If this is wrong, does anyone have an example of the correct technique done at full speed? Thank you.

It's not wrong...it's just not the "standard". The idea of doing that is to teach follow through on the kick.

Back