turning your back on an opponent after missing a kick

SAAMAG, what do you think of how he does it?

Also, how about turning all the way when you throw the kick parallel to the floor at the leg, or is this a part of why some people advise driving the leg kick down?

The angle from the ground is probably what that video represents best. What he's saying is correct as far as the hip going first. But you don't want to make the "whole wide world" gesture with your arms or rub your body as you do it. ; )

Think of this way...what direction is the energy going? If it's going AROUND you parallel to the ground like a dancer spins...then yes you're going to spin around. If it's going at an upward or downward angle, it shouldn't.

Keep in mind there are several micro movements that happen in kicking that each person can implement of their own choosing. Some will choose to angle upwards and then rotate over at the apex to land it downwards (this can be done for thigh, body, or head/neck kicks). Some will come up at the angle and on impact drive it more sideways.

But in general, that's the angle of delivery and THAT's what will keep you from spinning around completely. You may go 180 or even a little more...but never will that kick make you spin completely around if done correctly even at full power.

I think the body rubbing is a part of the charm. :)

Rockin, got it. If the blizzard stops I'll hit the gym today and see if I can work on it.

Thank you.

So, I'm not going to bore you all with a video, but I did change my kick in shadow boxing to the way prescribed here, only turning 180 degrees and continuing to fight in the new direction.

Besides building control not to turn 360, another reason occurred to me. For the most part, the kick doesn't miss much, but you throw it all the time sparring, so there is no reason to train for failure by assuming constant missing in your shadow boxing. So you practice the control not to 360, but also proceed in the flow as if you hit and are still fighting.

Anyway, thanks Sherdog for explaining it to my dumb ass.

Is Coban's kick in this video technically correct? It is similar to the Master K video I posted earlier in the thread. Here that is again:

To put it terms I can understand, is the Thai head kick basically just a TKD crescent kick with the hip pushed out and the knee bent a little? That's how it seems to me.

The way I was taught to kick is 'more like' the guy with Coban in the first video. I'm not so attach to it right now.

Also, does this kick, when thrown to the body or leg usually follow the same arc? I think Coban in the video with the three shadow boxers, he pulls the kick up and bends the knee instead of arcing it back to the floor.

Is there a certain most common way for doing these in the air?

They are different types of kicks. That's one thing I think many people have missed here. You can do round kicks that don't go all the way around, and you can do the full round house where you will follow through all the way around. Neither are incorrect, but the execution of both can be incorrect.

What I would say if you are doing a full round house where you spin around to make sure you spin fully around as quick as possible to reface your opponent. I've taken advantage of opponents when they spin, but I've also seen very good strikers that you cannot get inside them even if they spin and miss. It's about the timing of the kick and the execution of the kick. Too many good fighters do it for it to be wrong. It's just execution of many causes problems. There are risks to many techniques. It's about knowing how to use the technique and decrease chance of getting countered.

If you do it on purpose... it's an oppenning.
That said, it's a great set up for a spinning back fist.

If you do it on purpose... it's an oppenning.
That said, it's a great set up for a spinning back fist.

There is an opening created by this technique, but that's where experience come into play. You must know how and when to use the technique. There are openings in many techniques.

You are correct about setting up spinning back fists. There are a few different techniques that you can use off the spin like that. Spinning back fist, spinning back kick, wheel kick, etc.

When you throw the leg kick shadow boxing full power, does your foot hit the ground with any force or do you bleed it all off in the air before you put your foot down?

Jesus, what is it with MMA folks and their obsession with spinning backfists and superman punches?!

Last edited:
Especialy when all you need to counter a SBF is to lunch a takedown, knee, elbow, punch... pretty much anything just don't stand still.

There is an opening created by this technique, but that's where experience come into play. You must know how and when to use the technique. There are openings in many techniques.

You are correct about setting up spinning back fists. There are a few different techniques that you can use off the spin like that. Spinning back fist, spinning back kick, wheel kick, etc.

Erm, just felt to say, there's an opening created by every technique. Nothing in un-counterable... besides Mr Miyagi's Crane kick.

SummerStriker, if you want to see lots of head kicks miss, watch any Saenchai fight. The man is elusive as hell, and he fades high kicks with seemingly supernatural speed.

Jesus, what is it with MMA folks and their obsession with spinning backfists and superman punches?!

Those moves make the big screen. You dont see jabs in the movies do you?

closing the distance and bopping someone in the head is a good way of showing that something weird is going on. If someone does that in a fight you dont need to bop them thou. You can just kick them.
Not after when he has his guard up. Immediately so it hits him in the back.

If you stop the kick right after you missed you will end up in an awkward stance but at least you will be facing your opponent.

I have seen Thais going the full 360 a few times (very few) but thats when they are going after someone and they go for a hail mary kick while he is backing up and covering.

All and all one should not turn your back towards your opponent.

So many things wrong with this kick.

I can understand why he removed the comments section. All martial artist should downvote this video so that new people will know that this is pure shit.

I get an american pie feeling, Im get ashamed just by watching it.

Back