Elections Trump reportedly "discussing contingency plans to bypass election results."

I genuinely can't tell if you're trolling. Trump said he might take the election results to the Supreme Court: https://www.npr.org/2020/09/23/9162...t-election-results-to-end-up-at-supreme-court

""I think this [the election] will end up in the Supreme Court, and I think it's very important that we have nine justices," Trump said, defending his decision to seek the appointment of a new Supreme Court justice in the short time before the Nov. 3 election."

"I think it's better if you go before the election, because I think this scam that the Democrats are pulling — it's a scam — the scam will be before the United States Supreme Court," Trump said.

There is nothing inherently inappropriate about him saying this. If he were saying he would disobey the SCOTUS, that's very different. But he's literally just saying he will let the SCOTUS decide.
I genuinely can't tell if you're trolling. Trump said he might take the election results to the Supreme Court: https://www.npr.org/2020/09/23/9162...t-election-results-to-end-up-at-supreme-court

""I think this [the election] will end up in the Supreme Court, and I think it's very important that we have nine justices," Trump said, defending his decision to seek the appointment of a new Supreme Court justice in the short time before the Nov. 3 election."

"I think it's better if you go before the election, because I think this scam that the Democrats are pulling — it's a scam — the scam will be before the United States Supreme Court," Trump said.

There is nothing inherently inappropriate about him saying this. If he were saying he would disobey the SCOTUS, that's very different. But he's literally just saying he will let the SCOTUS decide.
Let's not pretend that Donald Trump hasn't gone out and made dictator-like statements before like saying he wants 4 more years, and then another 4, for a total of 12 years in office. He's constantly gathered applause for saying his office is above the law. It does seem to be a theme.

It’s encouraging to see so many people on here who support Trump stopping short of agreeing with him here. I think that will change as we get closer to Election Day and it becomes more clear if he will win or lose. Assuming everyone votes on or before November 3, their votes should be collected and counted as efficiently as possible, to give the American people a clear outcome here. Mail in ballots are just as important as those completed in person, so some plans should be made to accommodate quick and accurate counting.

The country will be harmed by a petty battle to undo the will of the people. The States can avoid this and take it fully out of the hands of the candidates, and I trust they will. This is just Trump keeping his name in the news for something other than a clear fuck-up, so it’s good campaigning.

Here's the big issue.

Normally when governments have documentation deadlines that include mail submission those documents are considered to be filed on time as long as the mail is postmarked on the Due Date. This is true for every type of Tax Return in the US that I'm aware of (Tax Compliance being my profession).

Some states have this same rule for mail in ballots while for others the ballot must be Received (regardless of postmark date) by Election Day. Some of the states that require the ballot to be received by election day have changed their rules to the postmark date as they anticipate a large increase in mail in voting. The GOP has been suing these states in court to reverse the new rules and they will continue to sue.

So votes have always trickled in after Election day but there normally aren't enough to sway the election after election night. Also in past elections there hasn't been a big split between the GOP and Dems when it comes to mail in voting. But due to the pandemic there is going to be a huge uptick in voting by mail and the polls indicate it is going to skew to Dem voters in a big way.

So now the GOP ploy currently is to fight any rule changes to expand mail in voting and label these accusations as cheating (@Hadron90 fell for this very easily).

Trump and the GOP have already laid the groundwork. They have their base supporting the lie that mail in voting is more ripe for fraud, they are buying into the bullshit that any rule changes to accommodate a much larger number of mail in ballots is cheating.

So if on Election night Trump is ahead in Florida and PA by 50,000 votes and there area 1,000,000 votes outstanding he's going to declare himself the winner and put all of his resources in the courts arguing that those 1,000,000 votes shouldn't be counted.

Also remember the hanging chads in 2000.... now we have naked ballots, signatures on the wrong line etc..... where the GOP is going to challenge everything.

If it is a blowout on election night either way hopefully we'll be good. But if it's close the stage has already been set.

Yeah. Wouldn't it be awful if a sitting president derided the 22nd amendment?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=122302&page=1
So the democrats did it, in a matter you likely also condemn, and it's ok that trump does it with far more flamboyance and still in his first term, because he's a republican? get over this party bullshit and red vs blue. there is an apparent hope to establish a dictatorship in this country and its already taken to it by force in a great way as all small businesses were closed for operations during the pandemic and only major multinational corporations were permitted to continue operating. The economy has been consolidated and the remaining unemployed work force is about to run out of benefits, and nothing is being done to resolve it allowing businesses to hire them back or sustain them in the interim. We are amidst the greatest attack of our lifetime on the American people.

So the democrats did it, in a matter you likely also condemn, and it's ok that trump does it with far more flamboyance and still in his first term, because he's a republican? get over this party bullshit and red vs blue. there is an apparent hope to establish a dictatorship in this country and its already taken to it by force in a great way as all small businesses were closed for operations during the pandemic and only major multinational corporations were permitted to continue operating. The economy has been consolidated and the remaining unemployed work force is about to run out of benefits, and nothing is being done to resolve it allowing businesses to hire them back or sustain them in the interim. We are amidst the greatest attack of our lifetime on the American people.
Huh?

I don't care about the 22nd amendment. Two terms is arbitrary. Why shouldn't the public by allowed to elect the same guy for 10 straight terms? The process of fair elections is far more important than the arbitrary limit on the number of years a president can serve.

Huh?

I don't care about the 22nd amendment. Two terms is arbitrary. Why shouldn't the public by allowed to elect the same guy for 10 straight terms? The process of fair elections is far more important than the arbitrary limit on the number of years a president can serve.
Because change is necessary to growth and if you get some party that finds a way to cheat the system they can impose a dictatorship. Changing the guard of the office is necessary to demonstrate our thriving democracy.

Because change is necessary to growth and if you get some party that finds a way to cheat the system they can impose a dictatorship. Changing the guard of the office is necessary to demonstrate our thriving democracy.
Changing the guard? You mean like going from Bush Sr. to Bush Jr? Or how about from Bill to Hillary? How is that a changing of the guard?

We live in an oligarchy of elites. You're deluded if you think term limits cause a "changing of the guard".

Changing the guard? You mean like going from Bush Sr. to Bush Jr? Or how about from Bill to Hillary? How is that a changing of the guard?

We live in an oligarchy of elites. You're deluded if you think term limits cause a "changing of the guard".
but wouldn't you like to stop that?

Was Trump golfing or visiting troops in the ME on Thanksgiving?

Did John Bolton (who has no love loss for Trump) and military commanders say the "suckers story" was bogus?

Did I already tell you that Newsweek and the Atlantic are not the same publication?

Did multiple sources say that the suckers story was true, and did other outlets find the same thing? Your bar for "fake news" is just anything Trump doesn't want you to believe.

Hey but they're credible - you leftist believe everything written that's bad about Trump (racist, Russian asset, fascist, nazi) and that kind of gullibility is bad for our country.

Find me an example of the kind of gullibility you're showing. "I refuse to believe anything reported by one of the most respected publications in the world because a sleazy politician doesn't want me to believe it." Even if your theory that Newsweek and the Atlantic were the same publication were true (which they're not--you can look it up), that would mean that there was one error out of hundreds of stories, while your "Daddy" literally lies every time he speaks publicly.

FYI, in America, we have elections to decide who will be president. The SCOTUS is not involved in the process.

Huh?

The 22nd amendment is arbitrary, but it is in the constitution, so it’s as important as the process of fair elections, strictly speaking. It’s a core part of our democracy now. Regardless, if you remove the term limit, we’d get 20 more years of Obama, which some people might really like.

The voter fraud take is the biggest ruse in the history of American civil governance and frankly insulting to anyone's intelligence. I doubt it would go well among swing voters and with this I doubt the majority of his base would approve. This would probably spark more than civil unrest if it were to happen.

And in before "fake news"

Lol you dont know his voter base. Anything that triggers liberals like destroying democracy is great.

Back