Law Trump may sign E.O. ending birthright citizenship

setting aside whether trump could do this, is there a good reason not to make some changes to the rules?

imo make it so only children born to US citizens and otherwise permanent legal residents get their citizenship by right of birth, also give all DACA kids their papers as long as they arrived before changes are in effect
Birthright citizen is a 19th century idea before airplanes and cars were a thing. It was intended to make it simple, you were born in that land, you were 99% likely to be the children of a citizen or otherwise legal resident.

But it's mostly a constitutional problem in the US, it would take so much political capital that nobody would try to do it.

William J. Clinton issued 254 executive orders between 1994 and 2001. (8 years)
George W. Bush issued 291 executive orders between 2001 and 2009. (8 years)
Barack Obama issued 276 executive orders between 2009 and 2017. (8 years)
Donald Trump issued 195 executive orders between 2017 and 2020. (4 years)

Awaiting to see how many Biden does in his first month in office.

I mean, whether the executive branch should do any or a significant amount of EOs is a bit of a different topic then can Trump do one that strikes down a constitutional amendment. I’m sure a lot of people here have different preferences on that which aren’t in conflict with how this plan doesn’t work.

It's said that airline regulations are written in blood because not adhering to them can cost lives.

Constitutional amendments are written in blood too. Not their blood, our blood. Black blood. Native blood. Womens' blood. I don't like our track record without those amendments in place.
Hell, our track record with those amendments in place is pretty dogshit lol

Looool

why are physicists so keen to find a theory of quantum gravity? Or rather why insist that it’s a fundamental force instead of a purely geometrical thing?

Gravity is a purely geometrical thing. That's why a theory of quantum gravity is so difficult. Quantum mechanics in explicitly background dependent, and treats time as completely independent of space. A theory of quantum gravity must be background independent, and written for space-time. Its like the universe looked at what we did with quantum mechanics, and conspired to fuck us as hard as possible.

Courts will strike that down so fast that we will need a coherent theory of quantum gravity to untangle the causality implications.

lol

Maybe Trump thinks he is in a real life Groundhog Day?

He keeps repeating the same lunatic shit because the ONLY way to move on (in his warped mind) is for him to be reelected................

Everyday is the same for him...

He wakes up from a McDonalds coma, turns on the "fake news" and everyone is shitting on his face again...and again...and again.

Orange Man Sad.

Russler (The banned conservative lawyer) said that birthright citizenship was never guaranteed in the Consitution because of the language "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" in it. He said the way that it was interpreted at the time the 14th was ratified would have excluded any citizen of a foreign government as they would be under the jurisdiction of that government....I argued against that with him because I said even if you're from a foreign country, if you're in the United States you're subject to the jurisdiction of the US unless you're a Diplomat or something of that nature.

And I believe there are others that agree with Russler's line of thinking on how the 14th actually should be interpreted.

It goes even beyond a domestic stance because in terms of the world, you almost need people claimed by at least one national minimum and if there is questions about who their parents are or their origin, then they could be without citizenship anywhere. That doesn’t sit right.

Regarding JR though, he was much more radical on the topic then that. He was calling for people like Julian Castro to have his citizenship revoked because he criticized the US as a country. What could possibly go wrong with an idea like that?

There is a conservative grounds to overturn it in the courts.

No they have an argument and it would work with the current justices they have

You think Trump's final goodbye should be an executive to cancel a Constitutional amendment, and you want courts to set precedent that executive orders can cancel constitutional amendments? You want to do that one month before Biden/Harris take office? Can you not forsee any reason why you may later regret this?

No thet have

Bro I have read the arguments. They can say and reintepret however they wish. They used to support slavery.. i mean come on
...slavery was abolished by Constitutional Amendment lol

No thet have

Bro I have read the arguments. They can say and reintepret however they wish. They used to support slavery.. i mean come on

Slavery was kept vague originally in the Constitution. They used other terms and there were attempts to make it clearer (“property in man”, “slavery”) that were struck down. It kept enough parties okay with moving forward but obviously continued to be an issue all the way up to its abolition. I haven’t read a lot on it to this point but there’s good content out there on that topic.

He can basically make a formal statement disagreeing with birthright citizenship, but it won’t have the weight of law.

The fallout would be two months of births not being automatically processed federally for citizenship, an administrative process im unclear on but would fall under executive branch, at a time when Immigration is already slow. The order would be rescinded by the new administration in January, which would take the courts out of it, paperwork processed, everything operating as it always has.

The SC is now packed with Conservatives. Trump had plenty of time between Barret being sworn in and the election to sign the E.O.
Yes it would have been fought out in the courts but Trump could have used the signing of the E.O. to attrack voters.

The court's job is to determine what is consitutional. It's not their job to change the Constitution. Congress would have to legislate this. Lol good luck with that. I hope they try, it's a great way to lose voters.

They want to unify what we know about General Relativity that describes the macro world with what we know about Quantum Mechanics that describes the microscopic world. They're both proven accurate to a fantastic degree but there appears to still be missing pieces to the puzzle. It's what Einstein was working on until he died and what String Theory was developed to explain.

I disagree with that both are accurate and there "missing pieces to the puzzle". I think both are absolute failures, and our puzzle isn't missing pieces, its just random puzzle pieces glued together in nonsensical ways.

I'm sure all the "constitutional conservatives" here are outraged, right? Best thing about Trump is how he has exposed so much of the right.
In their defense they stop reading and get distracted after they get a hard on for the 2nd ammendment...lol

Yet still manage to completely butcher the 1st amendment. Claiming it means people have to privately fund and platform them.... all while fighting against and demonizing peaceful protests or demonstrations that don’t follow their brain dead virtue signaling for false idols and symbols.

In their defense they stop reading and get distracted after they get a hard on for the 2nd ammendment...lol

Yet still manage to completely butcher the 1st amendment. Claiming it means people have to privately fund and platform them.... all while fighting against and demonizing peaceful protests or demonstrations that don’t follow their brain dead virtue signaling for false idols and symbols.
Now do Covid restrictions on visiting your family for Christmas or attending church.

Birthright citizen is a 19th century idea before airplanes and cars were a thing. It was intended to make it simple, you were born in that land, you were 99% likely to be the children of a citizen or otherwise legal resident.

This is incorrect. The 14th Amendment was one of the Reconstruction Amendments. The intention was mostly to deal with former slaves (to make their citizenship clear and essentially irrevocable). Remember, there had been a recent SCOTUS ruling that citizenship wasn't meant to apply to black people.

This is incorrect. The 14th Amendment was one of the Reconstruction Amendments. The intention was mostly to deal with former slaves (to make their citizenship clear and essentially irrevocable). Remember, there had been a recent SCOTUS ruling that citizenship wasn't meant to apply to black people.
<PlusJuan>

Back