True or False? BJJ is worse than wrestling and judo for self defence

I say bjj since you would know how to do takedowns (assuming your school teaches them), controlling from top position and fighting off your back.

Most serious mistake, like in any ( even non combat ) sport is to underestimate opponent.

In some cases, if potential banging already didn't started, it might be not bad that they had training and experience.
If conflict isn't serious and they see ( streetwise ppl not rarely does have good smell to evalue, this isn't from easily observable stance but from body micro language nuances ) that potential opponent might damage them, might choose not to fight with you.
For this reason, don't handle out insults and trash talk: people that talks less or doesn't talk are more dangerous. Also don't threat a guy to beat him if you want to de escalate conflict.
Sometimes his buddies then assume that you aren't worth to risk + you didn't gave additional reasons for them to involve and help their friend. They might even deal with him to not bang with you.
& not panacea but saw this outcome too and not rarerly.

-
Self awareness.
Situational awareness.
This is core for security, together with intelligence and planning. Cash transport, security services, bodyguards - highly skilled experts assume that this not less valuable than armoured car and team with guards.
To ensure that they might not be surprised, fooled somehow etc.

Last edited:
The idea of “untrained” is a stupid one.

The biggest advantage in a fight (aside from numbers) is aggression and power.

Some of the hardest people I have known never set foot in a fighting gym or trained any MA. They just loved to fight. They weren’t scared to hurt others or be hurt/arrested themselves. They would constantly get into fights which meant they knew what they were doing.

Sure, at the expert level they probably wouldn’t win; but for your average blue/purple belt or boxing/MT club member etc etc my money is on the savage.

I would rather fight a “trained” guy who isn’t a compete arsehole than a genuine street fighter who is just out to hurt me.

As for SD it’s not hard really:

Self awareness.
Situational awareness.
Weights.
Cardio.
Grappling art plus striking art (eg Judo and Boxing or BJJ and MT etc etc).

Aggression without intelligence/purpose doesn't seem at all worrisome, again I don't go around getting into street fights
...but I'll gladly face a spazzing "savage" over a quality boxer or skilled wrestler

My best self-defense is having enough money to avoid living in a ghetto where I'd have to fight every day on the streetz. And not having an artificial hip from years of judo.

The idea of “untrained” is a stupid one.

The biggest advantage in a fight (aside from numbers) is aggression and power.

Some of the hardest people I have known never set foot in a fighting gym or trained any MA. They just loved to fight. They weren’t scared to hurt others or be hurt/arrested themselves. They would constantly get into fights which meant they knew what they were doing.

Sure, at the expert level they probably wouldn’t win; but for your average blue/purple belt or boxing/MT club member etc etc my money is on the savage.

I would rather fight a “trained” guy who isn’t a compete arsehole than a genuine street fighter who is just out to hurt me.

As for SD it’s not hard really:

Self awareness.
Situational awareness.
Weights.
Cardio.
Grappling art plus striking art (eg Judo and Boxing or BJJ and MT etc etc).
This is very true, violence is very important in a sf, some violent dude can’t fight, but some can, throwing punches isn’t that hard, and in a brawl no one is siE power and violence can take you a long way.

Aggression without intelligence/purpose doesn't seem at all worrisome, again I don't go around getting into street fights
...but I'll gladly face a spazzing "savage" over a quality boxer or skilled wrestler

That’s a big mistake to make. Too many “trained” people think this way; nothing beats real world experience.

Aggression with the purpose to hurt an opponent without hesitation is very effective. Far more so than a couple of years of light sparring/rolling.

The best unarmed style for self-defense is, and by a long shot, the 110 meter hurdles. If they can't catch you they can't hit you with either fists or a knife, and most untrained guys can't hit a moving target more than 20 feet away with a hand gun. The hurdles is useful for going over fences and parked cars, making it even harder to hit you with a bullet.

Meh these same old lazy witty answers. "run" / "my glock" / "don't get into a street fight and don't do drugs".

I get that some people don't like the question but instead of clicking and answering some useless shit like that, just don't click IMO.

That’s a big mistake to make. Too many “trained” people think this way; nothing beats real world experience.

Aggression with the purpose to hurt an opponent without hesitation is very effective. Far more so than a couple of years of light sparring/rolling.

I can't find your longer post on aggression but I wanted to respond to it because I found it excellent. You are absolutely right and this is an aspect that is often overlooked.

There are some really mean, aggressive people out there with balls of steel that just DGAF about getting hurt or hurting you and that will genuinely try to fuck you up if you get into a fight with them.

It is a huge mistake that many people do when they say that street brawlers have shit technique and so are easy to beat in a self-defense scenario. Never underestimating the power of pure aggression / assume that it doesn't count just because we are trained to dissociate aggression and the rest in sparring.

For 1v1, Bjj is the king

For sport grappling on the floor I agree that BJJ is the best discipline.

But for "fighting" generally I am not sure that current, modern BJJ is still relevant.

Hawai’i has a ton of excellent street fighters and almost none of them use bjj.

Unless you’re bj penn

Yes only a serious competitor comes close to a real world aggression level during training. Light rolling clubs lack control and reaction time, as well as efficient gross movements. Also bad habits... even after 20 years I leave my chin up and jam my fingers due to light rolling.

Who let the trolls out, who let the trolls out.....
iu

iu

To post so many nonsense threads in 24hrs?

bjj is pretty bad for self defence

best combo is wrestling plus boxing

source worked as a bouncer or 2 years (can check out my thread in mayberry for stories lol)
2 instructors at my gym were bouncers. One had striking experience the other only had BJJ. They rarely needed more than their BJJ.

Not saying your experience wasn't different. Just that in the same scenario others have had more success with BJJ.

Last edited:
Meh these same old lazy witty answers. "run" / "my glock" / "don't get into a street fight and don't do drugs".

I get that some people don't like the question but instead of clicking and answering some useless shit like that, just don't click IMO.

On the contrary, those are by far the most useful answers. Ask any cop, or even anyone who seriously teaches self defense for the real world. You run if you can, you use a weapon if you can't run.

BJJ is great for immobilizing if you're winning, and surviving if you're losing.

Wrestling isn't gonna do much for you if you're losing. Go to your belly? Yeah go ahead and do that.

Judo... ok I admit I don't really understand Judo. But I can't imagine it's much good when you're losing.

I'll take the BJJ. And I'm not talking worm guard and shit like that. I'm talking closed, open, half, etc. If you end up on the bad end, you're not gonna go to your belly and try to ankle pick or some shit (well I suppose you can if you want to), and you're not gonna throw anyone. You're gonna stay on your back and try to survive.

For sport grappling on the floor I agree that BJJ is the best discipline.

But for "fighting" generally I am not sure that current, modern BJJ is still relevant.

what do you think Mma fighters do? If you are a sport guy pure sport guy, you still by the time you are purple or brown should have decent double or trips from the clinch, in you don’t, is not the problem of the art, but of the gym

I can't find your longer post on aggression but I wanted to respond to it because I found it excellent. You are absolutely right and this is an aspect that is often overlooked.

There are some really mean, aggressive people out there with balls of steel that just DGAF about getting hurt or hurting you and that will genuinely try to fuck you up if you get into a fight with them.

It is a huge mistake that many people do when they say that street brawlers have shit technique and so are easy to beat in a self-defense scenario. Never underestimating the power of pure aggression / assume that it doesn't count just because we are trained to dissociate aggression and the rest in sparring.

totally true. It’s like people really forget how shitty awful ammy mma or kickboxing or even boxing looks like when hobbiest try to compete, ithese guys can look like Tyson shodowboxing, but as soon as the bell rings, is no different that your average athletic brawler. Just because you go to class a couple of times a week doesn’t mean you will be able to outstrike a really really mean tough dude, aggression size power and craziness will take you a long long way..

On the contrary, those are by far the most useful answers. Ask any cop, or even anyone who seriously teaches self defense for the real world. You run if you can, you use a weapon if you can't run.

you use a weapon? People put too much emphasis on the SD Situatuon, most SD situations are fights between 2 people, duel or whatever you are fighting to defend hour self. “You just avoid that type of confrontation” This is really really the epitome of not being realistic, or being a pussy. Simple as that. 99% of the Fights you might get into will happen when you are young, and most of the times fighting will actually do much better for your self than pussying out, specially if you are young, getting bully and shit. Not good for your life. Not being able to defend yo ur girl from a someone? Not being able to stand yo ur ground when needed, yes most of these situations might be avoidable, but we live in a society, and when yo ur young it matters what people think of you, and what you think of you. There is this stupid conception that all fights are to the death, that’s ridiculous, if you have a weapon and someone attacks you, like try to punch you, are you just gonna pull your weapon and shoot the fucker? Yeah good way to end up in jail for the next 25 years, when you could’ve just double leg the bastard and put him to sleep for a while.

SD situations like robbery and stuff won’t probably ever happen to you, and training for those type of situations is totally and absolutely ridiculous and a waste of time. You are much better training so no odiot is going to be ducking around with you. Again, if you are older, then you better off training for sport and having fun, your are hardly going to get into any type of physical altercation, unless you like to go out to drink way into your 30s

That doesn't answer the question in the OP. The TS didn't ask what is the best option between running / BJJ /wrestling whatever. But of course you know that but are just trying to sound smart.

totally true. It’s like people really forget how shitty awful ammy mma or kickboxing or even boxing looks like when hobbiest try to compete, ithese guys can look like Tyson shodowboxing, but as soon as the bell rings, is no different that your average athletic brawler. Just because you go to class a couple of times a week doesn’t mean you will be able to outstrike a really really mean tough dude, aggression size power and craziness will take you a long long way..

Obviously I agree but if I may, I would like to stress the factors in bold which are often overlooked.

Back